Author Topic: Cleaning wheel rims  (Read 844 times)

Cleaning wheel rims
« on: 12 August, 2020, 12:05:53 pm »
Give a reason (or two or three) why I shouldn't use Cif or Jif (or whatever its now called) mixed with washing up liquid and an old toothbrush to clean old caked up rims.

Thanks

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
Re: Cleaning wheel rims
« Reply #1 on: 12 August, 2020, 01:26:29 pm »
no reason not to, only a toothbrush might be too soft to shift caked up grime, a strong rag/towel might suit better.

« Reply #2 on: 12 August, 2020, 01:36:50 pm »
They have probably been used on salted roads - much worse.

« Reply #3 on: 12 August, 2020, 02:09:43 pm »
That's good, I had a horrible feeling that there was some corrosive or abrasive reason.  In which case I can report it is a highly successful and efficient method of cleaning rims.  Even ones that have not been touched in many many years.  A quick scrub and then a spray with a hose.  Brings up reflective sidewalls a treat s well.

« Reply #4 on: 12 August, 2020, 03:38:07 pm »
Once cleanish I use either isopropyl alcohol or acetone to degrease and clean the brake track. Beware of acetone if you have fancy graphics on your wheel.
Don’t use car shampoo on wheels - it has waxes in. Rest of the bike (except brake blocks naturally) fine to use it.

« Reply #5 on: 12 August, 2020, 04:03:22 pm »
Scotchbrite scourer is my tool of choice when it comes to cleaning wheel rims.

« Reply #6 on: 12 August, 2020, 04:12:01 pm »
IMHO it may make you bike look pretty temporarily, but  time spent cleaning rims would very often be  much better spent making sure that your brake blocks are not impregnated with abrasive crud; this is what causes the worst rim wear IME.

cheers

« Reply #7 on: 12 August, 2020, 08:27:00 pm »
IMHO it may make you bike look pretty temporarily, but  time spent cleaning rims would very often be  much better spent making sure that your brake blocks are not impregnated with abrasive crud; this is what causes the worst rim wear IME.

cheers
Very true, a high power small torch helps.

« Reply #8 on: 13 August, 2020, 07:04:09 am »
And not all blocks are equal for picking up such crud.