Author Topic: Looking for shoe recommendations  (Read 864 times)

Looking for shoe recommendations
« on: 03 July, 2022, 05:41:27 pm »
I use cheap trainers to commute and also on the tandem.  These are terminally smelly now.  What do the panel recommend ?
I'll almost certainly continue with flat pedals on these bikes.
I was looking at exustar stelvio leather shoes on Spa - mainly in the hope they'd not stink as much.
There is a shimano gore-tex pair on wiggle I liked too but theyre pricey.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: Looking for shoe recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 03 July, 2022, 06:17:28 pm »
you could look for a pair of last year's Inov-8's tend to come up cheaper and I always find they last well
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #2 on: 03 July, 2022, 06:45:11 pm »
I was looking at exustar stelvio leather shoes on Spa - mainly in the hope they'd not stink as much.
I've used those with flat pedals - They're not the grippiest of shoes and I can confirm they can stink, particularly as they're drying out after being soaked.
I have no cheap recommendations, I find the decent ones last long enough to be good value, though I'll try and buy when reduced.  Currently have some Specialized 2FO for sunny days and the more water resistant Five Tens Freeriders for wetter days.  Neither have been stinky, though neither have suffered the conditions the exustara did.

« Reply #3 on: 03 July, 2022, 07:42:14 pm »
Anything comfortable, apart from shoes designed to have cleats fitted to them.

I mainly use shoes designed for flat pedals such as 5-10s or Nortwave equivalent, and trail runners: Innov8, Saloman.  I did try SPD shoes but they have terrible grip as they're too stiff.

« Reply #4 on: 03 July, 2022, 09:36:24 pm »
Thanks all.
Paul - thanks for the feedback on the Exustar shoes.  Might give these a miss now

Anything comfortable, apart from shoes designed to have cleats fitted to them.
….have terrible grip as they're too stiff.

This seems a good point I’d overlooked.   Stiffer soles could be crap for grip. 

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: 03 July, 2022, 10:48:27 pm »
I use cheap trainers to commute and also on the tandem.  These are terminally smelly now.  What do the panel recommend ?
I'll almost certainly continue with flat pedals on these bikes.
There is a shimano gore-tex pair on wiggle I liked too but theyre pricey.

Something without goretex. IMHO goretex in shoes is a gimmic that just never works. And just results in steaming your feet. Far better to have good quick drying socks and very breathable shoes.

Also they will smell less.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #6 on: 03 July, 2022, 10:55:11 pm »
I’m on my second pair of Spesh F2O for commute / flat pedal purposes. Very grippy on the pedals, and a good balance between walking comfort and a stiff sole. Even on rat-trap pedals the sole takes a long time to show any wear.

No Goretex. Not smelly. Not particularly water resistant but they dry out super fast.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #7 on: 04 July, 2022, 07:01:51 am »
Adidas Gazelles. Durable, look good, lots of colour options.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000