Author Topic: Phil Bennett (1948-2022)  (Read 2897 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Phil Bennett (1948-2022)
« on: 12 June, 2022, 09:10:11 pm »
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/phil-bennett-dies-wales-rugby-23879757

One of the all-time greats. 73 is far too young. This has made me very sad.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Phil Bennett (1948-2022)
« Reply #1 on: 12 June, 2022, 09:52:10 pm »
I know why. A joy to watch.

I just looked, but cannot find my ticket from Scotland Wales 1977-03-19
It is simpler than it looks.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2 on: 12 June, 2022, 10:28:42 pm »
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/phil-bennett-dies-wales-rugby-23879757

73 is far too young.

A 73 year old responds. 
Yes. It is far too young.

Wasn't he in THAT Llanelli team?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3 on: 12 June, 2022, 10:47:20 pm »
Yes. He also gathered the kick and beat 3 All Blacks before launching the move that ended in That Try.

I watched that passage of play again a few minutes ago and in it, JPR Williams received 2 tackles which, as I understand the current rules, would have led to a yellow and a red card.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #4 on: 13 June, 2022, 08:17:32 am »
Yes. He also gathered the kick and beat 3 All Blacks before launching the move that ended in That Try.

I watched that passage of play again a few minutes ago and in it, JPR Williams received 2 tackles which, as I understand the current rules, would have led to a yellow and a red card.

Definitely, but then JPR would have picked up a few reds himself under current interpretations of the law, nots least that "99" call on the Lions tour.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5 on: 13 June, 2022, 08:40:37 am »
Those were the days - no video replays for broken fingernails.

Surprised at Bennet going so soon.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #6 on: 13 June, 2022, 02:06:16 pm »

Your OP summed up my initial thoughts almost verbatim. The quote was something that struck me as well; many of the plyers were wearing the tackle like a scarf.

Another thing that struck me was the 'cheap' look of the grounds before Big Money entered the game in ways other than boot money.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

« Reply #7 on: 13 June, 2022, 02:13:18 pm »

Definitely, but then JPR would have picked up a few reds himself under current interpretations of the law, nots least that "99" call on the Lions tour.
Red cards for all the players involved in the 'scuffle'?

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #8 on: 13 June, 2022, 06:45:39 pm »
Quote from David Owens of Nation Cymru.

"Simply put he could side step you in a cupboard"
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #9 on: 13 June, 2022, 10:26:13 pm »
I know why. A joy to watch.

I just looked, but cannot find my ticket from Scotland Wales 1977-03-19

I attended England v Wales around that time, twice. The first occasion was the customary rout, the second was a dour affair in the rain in which Phil Bennett won either 9 - 3 or 9 - 6. I think it quite amusing that he had a reputation as a good goal kicker, when compared to the machine-men who slot them over with almost unerring accuracy these days.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #10 on: 13 June, 2022, 11:25:21 pm »

My memory is hazy but did that tour follow on from one in Australia in which, in a very early game, Graham Price had his jaw broken by a punch? That put him out of the tour and he was known as the most accomplished prop forward in the world. SA were also very prone to massive foul play and I think it was Willie-John McBride who wrote about it in his autobiography.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #11 on: 24 June, 2022, 10:40:13 pm »
A statue was unveiled to Phil Bennett in April this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXeKSbTjEUo&ab_channel=Cassie

Warning: Phil Bennett looks extremely ill in that video. It's really quite distressing to see.

« Reply #12 on: 25 June, 2022, 12:08:38 am »
Yes, that's very sad indeed: "the rest of my life" turned out to be a couple of months.