Author Topic: The cricket...  (Read 254352 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: The cricket...
« Reply #100 on: 12 August, 2011, 03:56:54 pm »
Cook's got his 250, Morgan made a ton.  Currently 627-6 :thumbsup:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #101 on: 12 August, 2011, 04:05:33 pm »
Cook's got his 250, Morgan made a ton.  Currently 627-6 :thumbsup:

Looking at the fall of wicket stat: 186 - 252 - 374 - 596 - 605 - 613 -

Dang, looks like we're having the dreaded middle order collapse...  ;)

EDIT: the first target to hit before even thinking of a declaration is beating the 658-8 declared v Australia at Trent Bridge in 1938.

Or Strauss waits until (barring dismissal) Cook gets 300, or even beats Gooch's 333 (scored against India at Lord's in 1990).
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #102 on: 12 August, 2011, 04:26:37 pm »
I didn't know about the 658-8dec target, so I was going to say that getting Cook to 300/333 is/are the only reason to not have declared already. (I guess they wanted to give Bopara a bat, but lets not talk about that now ... )

At 590-3 I was going to post
Boring Boring England :(

;D
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #103 on: 12 August, 2011, 04:37:40 pm »
There was a bit about the highest ever England scores near the start of the live coverage on the BBC sport website. Actually, there were two even bigger scores, but they date from before the five-day time limit was introduced.

EDIT - Found them:
England's highest total in Test history was the 903-7 declared vs the Aussies at the Oval in 1938 (oh for a time-travel machine). 2nd: 849 vs West Indies, Kingston 1930.

"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #104 on: 12 August, 2011, 04:44:55 pm »
What's this 658 score all about? England notched up 903 for 7 in 1938 against Australia at the Oval, winning by an innings and 579 runs.

Edit: cross-post.

Edit 2: no, I wasn't there and don't remember it.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #105 on: 12 August, 2011, 04:50:30 pm »
658 is the record at Nottingham. I doubt Strauss will care about it TBH (the radio's off, they may be past it by now!)

If cook passes 333 he's into the top 10, so might want to go a bit further ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #106 on: 12 August, 2011, 05:02:56 pm »
666-6 :demon:

Well, what other smiley was I going to use?  ;D

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #107 on: 12 August, 2011, 05:18:43 pm »
Bad light stopped play... wonderful.

« Reply #108 on: 12 August, 2011, 05:22:15 pm »
That is a monumentally stupid decision from the umpires. Brainless.
 >:(
How's my trolling? Call 07700 900999.

« Reply #109 on: 12 August, 2011, 05:32:08 pm »
Back on again, which makes the decision to abandon play for bad light - when there are 6 huge floodlights on anyway - all the more ridiculous.  :facepalm:

What did Taufel think he was doing, putting India out of their misery?  ::-) They were practically out of the match hours ago...   :demon:

EDIT
Quote from: BBC live text commentary
17:30
Eng 687-6

Almost impossible for Tim Bresnan to see anything out there - just enough to smash Sharma through cover with the timing and grace of a chunky Lara. No point in England declaring now, you'd feel, because if it's "dangerous" for a team closing in on 700 to bat, you shudder to think how the ICC might describe conditions for a team facing the new ball, three pace bowlers and a deficit of 463

Might as well play out today, and give the statisticians something to chew on.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #110 on: 12 August, 2011, 05:36:41 pm »
What's the daily over quota? 90?

« Reply #111 on: 12 August, 2011, 05:39:31 pm »
Still, it was nice to see it was a fit young blonde who went out to put the umpires right, well done love.

[/coat]

« Reply #112 on: 12 August, 2011, 05:49:18 pm »
What's the daily over quota? 90?

Going by the coverage in the Torygraph, we've had 72(?) so far today - whether we get another 18 done depends on when stumps is scheduled, how much time was lost to bad light, and the bowling rate.  :-\

Bresnan gets his 50, England on 704-6.  :thumbsup:

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #113 on: 12 August, 2011, 05:53:13 pm »
Cook's just gone for 294 ....

... and there's the declaration. Let the games begin!  ;D

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
The cricket
« Reply #114 on: 12 August, 2011, 05:55:20 pm »
Not a bad knock.

« Reply #115 on: 12 August, 2011, 05:56:12 pm »
England declare, quell surprise...

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #116 on: 12 August, 2011, 05:58:50 pm »
That is a monumentally stupid decision from the umpires. Brainless.
 >:(

Stupid decision, but one forced on them by the ICC.  ::-)

I agree with Vaughan on such things. Same with the drinks break 20mins after a late start; people are paying £35upwards to watch players standing about for no reason, or sat in the pavilion. Not on, especially when Test cricket is under threat from the more "exciting" forms of the game.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #117 on: 12 August, 2011, 06:02:49 pm »
Oooh, nice. GambhirSehwag bags a King pair. ( :-[)
 ;D

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
The cricket
« Reply #118 on: 12 August, 2011, 06:12:29 pm »
How many more overs? England to claim the extra half-hour?

« Reply #119 on: 12 August, 2011, 06:15:23 pm »
This could have a major downside. I had the whole of tomorrow sorted out for a full days lounging in front of the big telly.

« Reply #120 on: 12 August, 2011, 09:11:43 pm »
This could have a major downside. I had the whole of tomorrow sorted out for a full days lounging in front of the big telly.

You'll be alright. Just enjoy watching Swann take six wickets.

Swann taking a few would, I reckon, make it the perfect series for England. Everyone would have contributed.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #121 on: 12 August, 2011, 09:14:48 pm »

Swann taking a few would, I reckon, make it the perfect series for England. Everyone would have contributed.
There's a lot of turn in the pitch now, so if I were Swann I'd be disappointed if I didn't managed to bag at least a couple of wickets.

« Reply #122 on: 12 August, 2011, 09:17:14 pm »

I'm just a bit worried that without the DRS for leg-befores Swann might just struggle to get his full due. He had a really, really
good shout turned down this evening.
I can still hope though.

« Reply #123 on: 13 August, 2011, 10:44:54 am »
Alastair Cook rejects Boycott's criticism of his batting style.

I think he's been a bit long-winded about it. He could have simply pointed out that he scored more than the entire Indian team, but that wouldn't have filled up as much space, I guess.

Boycott's obviously the go-to man if you're talking about getting a move on. :facepalm:

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #124 on: 13 August, 2011, 10:47:10 am »
Boycott was dropped for slow scoring in the 1960s after a double century.

Edit: 246 not out against India at Headingley in 1967.