Author Topic: The cricket...  (Read 257148 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: The cricket...
« Reply #1550 on: 27 December, 2017, 09:57:31 am »
Good of Cook to finally turn up to the series. A bit late though.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #1551 on: 27 December, 2017, 10:24:22 am »
Thing about Cook not performing is it's put extra pressure on Stoneman and Vince so early on in the order. Good to see him get some runs though. He's a class player.
Such a frustrating series. You can't argue with 3-0 down. We've been in most of the games some of the time, but you need to be all of the time. Especially out there!

88,000 people there yesterday....amazing!
Garry Broad

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1552 on: 28 December, 2017, 08:25:29 am »
Three more good sessions.
It is simpler than it looks.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1553 on: 28 December, 2017, 08:41:08 am »
They're doing alright, aren't they?

Craziest stat from Cook's innings is that he's jumped from 9th to 6th in the all-time test figures in just one knock.

(He'd probably like to be 5th of course; Kumar Sangakkara is less than 500 ahead, so that looks doable if he plays another series.)

Meanwhile, hats off to the Aussies for grabbing the key wicket of Broad; if it wasn't for this fine catch, him and Cook might have put the match out of reach:

Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #1554 on: 28 December, 2017, 01:00:10 pm »
There were a couple of no-DRS blunders - which may have reduced the runs total, but well done to Cook. Will be good if he manages to 'carry his bat' and pick up that record too.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1555 on: 28 December, 2017, 01:45:19 pm »

Always good to see the English team perform well when it really counts.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #1556 on: 28 December, 2017, 02:01:36 pm »
Aus press moaning about the MCG pitch...

Self-interest was turned upside down and inside out during Thursday's fluctuations at the MCG. It had been this kind of Test match since Boxing Day. This event has been staged on a platform, more a false floor than a pitch, that has minimised and perhaps even nullified the home team's advantages, while preserving Australian curators' reputation for bloody-minded independence. If this was pitch doctoring, it was the kind of medicine that is, after all, becoming legal in Victoria. Here, groundsmen do what they do, national self-interest be damned.
smh

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1557 on: 28 December, 2017, 02:22:02 pm »

Always good to see the English team perform well when it really counts.
Awww. Just because Australia is suffering from the same loss of key players and there’s a faint possiblbity they might not get 5-0...

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1558 on: 28 December, 2017, 02:32:37 pm »
The series is won. The job is done. Anything else is just a bonus.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1559 on: 28 December, 2017, 03:51:38 pm »
I don't think I've ever heard an Aussie say they don't mind losing at cricket to England.

« Reply #1560 on: 28 December, 2017, 03:53:47 pm »
Since 2000 both England and Australia have won 4 out of 5 of their home Ashes series.  The last time Aus won in England was 2001, and Eng in Aus was 2010/11.  Home advantage does seem significant.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1561 on: 28 December, 2017, 07:36:47 pm »
My interpretation of the Sydney Morning Herald piece was "What's the matter with those weirdos in Melbourne not making sure the pitch favoured Aus?"
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #1562 on: 28 December, 2017, 09:59:42 pm »
The series is won. The job is done. Anything else is just a bonus.

LWaB, I don't doubt you are an intelligent man....but what you've written here is complete and utter nonsense.

The Australians like beating the English at cricket, doesn't matter what the contest, nor when the contest or the context.
The English and Welsh like beating the Australians, doesn't matter what the contest, nor when the contest or the context.

That's why the contest has survived for so long and still captures the imagination. In the best possible way.

Off the pitch, they are mates.....so close in fact they start beating each other up in bars....but you can blame that on the beer :-)
Garry Broad

citoyen

« Reply #1563 on: 29 December, 2017, 12:07:20 am »
Aus press moaning about the MCG pitch...

Self-interest was turned upside down and inside out during Thursday's fluctuations at the MCG. It had been this kind of Test match since Boxing Day. This event has been staged on a platform, more a false floor than a pitch, that has minimised and perhaps even nullified the home team's advantages, while preserving Australian curators' reputation for bloody-minded independence. If this was pitch doctoring, it was the kind of medicine that is, after all, becoming legal in Victoria. Here, groundsmen do what they do, national self-interest be damned.
smh

Interesting and perceptive piece highlighting the shortcomings of both sides, as well as the pitch. I did wonder if Mitchell Starc's injury would have been so debilitating if the series hadn't already been tied up...

Home advantage is over-rated. I remember being at Headingley in the early 90s to see Boon, Border and the Waughs tear England's bowlers apart, and Hughes and Warne doing the same to England's batsmen. None of Australia's current squad of journeymen would have broken into that line-up, not even Smith. And definitely not Tim Paine. What has set Australia apart from England in this series so far is discipline and focus - Aus have had plenty of it, England have had none, until this match, and even in this match it's only really Broad and Cook who have shone.

This match is far from over though. Aus could easily wipe out their deficit before tea today and establish a decent lead by the middle of the morning session tomorrow, then skittle through a nervy England in the final two sessions to steal the win. (Not that I'm going to put money on any predictions, not after my previous rash attempt at guessing how it would pan out.)

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1564 on: 29 December, 2017, 12:10:12 am »
From the Beeb.
Alastair Cook is the first England opener to carry his bat since Michael Atherton at Christchurch in 1997

He is the first opener to carry his bat in an Ashes Test since Geoffrey Boycott at Perth in 1979

He is the first opener to carry his bat in a Test at the MCG

His 244 not out is the highest score by an opener carrying his bat, beating New Zealander Glenn Turner's unbeaten 223 in 1972

citoyen

« Reply #1565 on: 29 December, 2017, 12:21:51 am »
And of course "carrying your bat" is much harder now, given how heavy the damn things are these days.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1566 on: 29 December, 2017, 01:18:03 am »
I would argue that he didn't carry his bat as there was another not out batsman.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carry_the_bat

For clarity, I checked the Wiki definition after I typed the first sentence.

Edit: scratch that. The Graun page I was reading hadn't been updated correctly and it showed England as 491-9 and Aus at 65-2 in the second innings.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1567 on: 30 December, 2017, 01:51:18 am »
It just dawned on me that about this time last year my daughter suggested that Jan and I go to Aus for a month to visit her while the Ashes were on. Bloody glad I didn't accept the invitation! (We couldn't have gone anyway, having Aunt Phyllis to look after).

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1568 on: 30 December, 2017, 01:53:19 am »
It’s raining.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1569 on: 30 December, 2017, 01:55:33 am »
It is here as well! I don't need to go to Melbourne to sit in the rain...

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1570 on: 30 December, 2017, 01:58:44 am »
There are plenty of seats available.

« Reply #1571 on: 30 December, 2017, 12:25:54 pm »
Oh well, 5-0 whitewash averted at least.  See what happens at SCG.

« Reply #1572 on: 05 January, 2018, 07:21:12 am »
England currently being frustrated by Australian batsmen, no real surprise there. 

« Reply #1573 on: 05 January, 2018, 10:48:45 am »
My dad bought this at a charity event last night. Obviously worthless, but a nice little item. Signed by Essex CCC circa 1999.

Naturally, it's a Warsop-Stebbing. I'd recommend a vist to their facilities, although they've moved from their original location and I'm not sure if you can just rock up there anymore...

Edit: Most bats you see cricketers use - no matter what they are branded - are actually made from Essex willow and turned into bats by Warsop-Stebbing...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

gibbo

• Riding for fun, cake and beer.
    • Boxford Bike Club
« Reply #1574 on: 05 January, 2018, 02:59:32 pm »
I had a few WS bats when I used to play. Absolutely loved them and always got them to put an extra rubber on to make the handle a bit thicker. Scored a couple of tons too and got the same bat signed by Nasser Hussein when he was England captain. Rather sadly, after digging out a yorker length ball the toe split beyond repair. I still kept the bat, no idea why, and when I finally stopped playing burnt the bat in a similar fashion the urn - sad day actually.
Gibbo.