Author Topic: The cricket...  (Read 254351 times)

Re: The cricket...
« Reply #75 on: 02 August, 2011, 02:09:24 pm »
You're missing the context, Matt - for the sake of argument I'm assuming that Trott will be out for the next test, in which case I'd pick the best player to replace him, which in this case happens to be a bowler. The alternative would be to pick an unproven batsman, thus leaving out either a player currently ranked the tenth best bowler in the world (Tremlett), or a chap who just took 7 wickets and scored 100+ runs.

If Trott is fit, I'd just play the same team.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #76 on: 02 August, 2011, 04:10:32 pm »
You're missing the context, Matt ...
No, I was just giving my opinion on dropping a player who has played a blinder! I didn't mean anything against the 'Deano 11' :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #77 on: 07 August, 2011, 03:01:51 pm »
Zaheer Khan still unavailable for India, after a farcical-sounding game against Northampton 2nd XI.

And it looks very likely that Bopara will be in for Trott. I'd never have made it as a selector.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #78 on: 07 August, 2011, 03:08:13 pm »
I guess picking batsmen is a good way to hang onto a series lead.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #79 on: 07 August, 2011, 04:25:01 pm »
As Boycott would probably say of the current Indian bowling line-up, "my old granny could score a century against this lot if you gave her a stick of rhubarb to bat with".

More seriously, I think Flower likes the balance of the side with four bowlers and a strong batting line-up (and why wouldn't he, since it's worked well so far this summer, and against Australia). And playing Bopara makes sense, to give a bit more experience to one of the reserve batsmen. Plus he can turn his arm over a bit, so like Trott he takes the pressure off the main bowlers (and he's a better bowler than Trott).

I'm surprised at how young Bopara is - only 26. He seems to have been around for ages.

« Reply #80 on: 10 August, 2011, 12:44:52 pm »
India 60-3 before lunch, Tendulkar out for 1.

Yep, forget the looting, everything's fine in our great country.
How's my trolling? Call 07700 900999.

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #81 on: 10 August, 2011, 12:49:31 pm »
Just as long as they don't loot too many down through third man.
Not especially helpful or mature

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #82 on: 10 August, 2011, 01:38:43 pm »
India 60-3 before lunch, Tendulkar out for 1.

Yep, forget the looting, everything's fine in our great country.
I'm not sure about everything, but the important things are looking good.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #83 on: 10 August, 2011, 02:58:03 pm »
Things are looking great, and they're only getting better*. 7 down.

*I'm doin' alright, getting good grades, the futures so bright .....

« Reply #84 on: 10 August, 2011, 03:43:26 pm »
Spirited batting from Dhoni. Still, India are 8 down now.

« Reply #85 on: 10 August, 2011, 04:35:16 pm »
224 all out. Great catch from Cookie. 2 bowlers with 4 each. Looking good for top of the world.

Why did I ever used to get depressed watching England play Test cricket? ... Ah yes, I remember now  :facepalm:

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #86 on: 10 August, 2011, 06:57:16 pm »
Talking of the cricket carrying on despite riots, I have some vague recollection of a riot in Indai when G. Boycott was batting but cannot remember the details. Something sticks in my mind along the lines of a rioter approaching the square and announcing to GB "I'm sorry. Mr. Boycott, you are a very fine player but I'm afraid play must stop for today!"

Can anyone come to my help with a reference for this?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #87 on: 11 August, 2011, 03:36:34 pm »
Sorry, WB, before my time.

Fine century from Cook - he seems to have hit his form again. What odds for a double century?  Looks like England are going to set a huge target.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #88 on: 11 August, 2011, 04:25:14 pm »
under discussion, a tweet to Malcolm @ TMS:

A Mishra
I Sharma

Are they the only anagram bowling attack in test cricket?

(@Wowbagger - nice story, true or not :) )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #89 on: 11 August, 2011, 04:34:14 pm »

A Mishra
I Sharma

Not sure that the would "attack" is quite apposite - may even be opposite

« Reply #90 on: 11 August, 2011, 06:09:29 pm »

A Mishra
I Sharma

Speaking of anagrams...

Quote from: http://twitter.com/#!/tmsproducer
Interesting moment in TMS box as @tmsscorer reveals that "GROTTY COFFEE BOY" is an anagram of Geoffrey Boycott to Geoffrey Boycott.

A braver man than I!  ;D
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #91 on: 12 August, 2011, 12:16:03 am »
I heard Aggers put that to Boycott. Slightly angry, slightly disbelieving. Quite amusing.

...So who fancies Alastair Cook to go for a record? There's time to bat and no reason to declare (except for the weather forecast). Len Hutton's 364 as a target? 400+?

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #92 on: 12 August, 2011, 12:23:02 am »
I'd be most surprised if the bookies were offering less than 100-1 against that.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #93 on: 12 August, 2011, 12:34:43 am »
It must have been the Summer of '79 when I had a young teaching colleague from Yorkshire, who was forever trying to tell us in the staff room that Yorkshire were better than Essex. This was a bad time to be doing this, because 1979 was the first occasion that Essex won any trophies and they started with two: the Benson & Hedges Cup and the County Championship. They dominated County Cricket for the next 10 years or so.

They beat Surrey spectacularly in the final of the B & H and I was there. Sadly, the following day, in the John Player League, they had to play Yorkshire and every member of the Essex side gave the impression that they had the biggest hangover in the history of cricket. They lost ignominiously and this gave my colleague some valuable gloating material.

However, GB came to my rescue as he was opening or England against a pretty ordinary Indian attack in which they had no-one much faster than medium pace. Mr. Boycott kept on getting out to a bowler by the name of Ghavri, someone who, these days, Sir Geoffrey would describe as being "the sort of player that my old granny could score runs off".

My colleague was most miffed when I suggested that GB could also stand for "Ghavri's Bunny"

« Reply #94 on: 12 August, 2011, 12:43:24 am »
I'd be most surprised if the bookies were offering less than 100-1 against that.

Given Cook's rate of scoring, and the weather forecast, you're probably right. But I might still enquire at the local Ladbrokes.

Either way, it'll be a thumping lead for England, and the Indian batsmen will need to live up to their averages to make a contest of it.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #95 on: 12 August, 2011, 12:49:44 am »
Oh yes, India look and are playing like a broken team. If the weather holds I'd be most surprised if England didn't notch up an innings win. Lead of 400 on first innings, get India out for 200ish again.

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #96 on: 12 August, 2011, 10:34:01 am »
The best of the anagrams was read out right at the end of play. "Sachin Tendulkar" goes to "And I Lack The Runs".
Not especially helpful or mature

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #97 on: 12 August, 2011, 10:37:43 am »
The best of the anagrams was read out right at the end of play. "Sachin Tendulkar" goes to "And I Lack The Runs".

Which is more than can be said for many an England team touring India.  :-X

« Reply #98 on: 12 August, 2011, 11:01:20 am »
My favourites has always been "TRESCOTHICK" being an anagram of "CRICKET SHOT".
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #99 on: 12 August, 2011, 02:38:14 pm »
Cookie's currently 233 not out (Morgan on 89no) and they've gone off for bad light  ::-)

Still reckon a declaration at tea-time might be a go-er, especially if they get the lead over 400 - give the Indians a session after tea and then finish the job tomorrow1

1 - In theory, at least.