Author Topic: The cricket...  (Read 256509 times)

Re: The cricket...
« Reply #225 on: 19 August, 2012, 05:51:45 pm »
Whadyya reckon, can England get 346 runs to win in a day and a bit..?
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #226 on: 19 August, 2012, 07:06:22 pm »
No.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #227 on: 19 August, 2012, 08:40:08 pm »
No.

I don't think so either, especially since Eng. are now two wickets down.

« Reply #228 on: 19 August, 2012, 08:50:57 pm »
No.

I don't think so either, especially since Eng. are now two wickets down.

Unlike series in the past, we've done ok, played a bit under par, but it's blatantly obvious that over the 3 tests SA are really playing at the top of their game and have us well beat.

I've enjoyed it though. And its rather nice to let TMS emerge from the domination of other sporting coverage, to remind us that, despite games in other single-ball sports that have already begun while the sun still shines [massive groan] it is, just, still summer.

Shall we discuss Pietersen?  :demon:

Answer: You can if you want too  :)
Garry Broad

« Reply #229 on: 20 August, 2012, 04:38:05 pm »
If England pull it off, I'll eat my bike helmet (well, try to).

Still, think I'm safe.

« Reply #230 on: 20 August, 2012, 05:21:31 pm »
Oh well four of England's top order batsmen didn't do much at all, and could have made all the diffs; but then I think RSA are a better side atm...  KP may feel some more backlash though...

« Reply #231 on: 20 August, 2012, 05:54:37 pm »
A superb game!  But two run-outs in a run-chase like that?  I don't think it would have happened if Dave Brailsford had been managing England!

« Reply #232 on: 20 August, 2012, 06:11:44 pm »
Well that was a right larf, especially in the afternoon.
Great accompaniment to the days work.

And Test Match TMS closes down for another summer :'(
Garry Broad

« Reply #233 on: 20 August, 2012, 06:16:49 pm »
Garry, you're not a surgeon or a pilot are you?  Don't think i'd want you to be listening to such a gripping match in the circs.!

I'll miss TMS as well.  This age thing, it's hell, no?

« Reply #234 on: 20 August, 2012, 10:28:48 pm »
Garry, you're not a surgeon or a pilot are you?  Don't think i'd want you to be listening to such a gripping match in the circs.!

[looks round at living environment]
Nah...no need to worry about that.
The application of paint is affected by very little!

You mention those run outs.
I didn't get chance to see the highlights, but it sounds like Taylor was put in a tough situation by Trott, whereas the Swann run-out was a bit more a case of adrenaline pumping like crazy in the heat of the moment, and judgement getting lost in the process.

What is heartening though, and it makes for a welcome change, is that despite the defeat, opportunist negativity seems to be most gratefully absent.

Nice easy warm down next over the winter....against India. In India  :)
Garry Broad

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #235 on: 20 August, 2012, 10:38:50 pm »
Nice easy warm down next over the winter....against India. In India  :)

Ooh, goody.  I enjoy that. 
Set long wave radio alarm to 05:30 and listen to an hour or so of Bloody Shipping Forecasts TMS until it's time to get up.
But of course, I don't get up do I? 

10 I'll just listen to the next over and then I'll go for a shower
20 Go to 10

I'm always late for work when there's a test match in India.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #236 on: 20 August, 2012, 10:48:02 pm »
aren't there still some one day games to be played ?

« Reply #237 on: 20 August, 2012, 10:52:02 pm »
aren't there still some one day games to be played ?

Yes and some 20/20 games also
Garry Broad

« Reply #238 on: 21 August, 2012, 10:46:45 am »
Hundreds of them.  I'll enjoy them but they're nothing like the real thing!

« Reply #239 on: 29 August, 2012, 08:43:10 am »

« Reply #240 on: 29 August, 2012, 03:24:37 pm »
well it's official now Andy Strauss stands down, shame he feels he needs to stand down as he was a good captain, I'm sure his form will return

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #241 on: 29 August, 2012, 03:40:04 pm »
well it's official now Andy Strauss stands down, shame he feels he needs to stand down as he was a good captain, I'm sure his form will return

I thought he'd announced his retirement from all forms of cricket. Not much chance of a return to form if that's the case.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #242 on: 29 August, 2012, 03:49:45 pm »

I thought he'd announced his retirement from all forms of cricket. Not much chance of a return to form if that's the case.
Indeed. I suspect a cushy job as a pundit/commentator now awaits.
Personally, I think he made the wrong decision - the ECB would have been better off stating that Kevin Pietersen's international career is now thoroughly dead and buried.

Still, I reckon Cookie will make a good captain providing he's actually given time to prove himself (or not) in the role.

« Reply #243 on: 29 August, 2012, 06:35:43 pm »
I was surprised he retired from all cricket, have to say.  He must have really had enough.  I sure he could have returned to form; Pietersen spent enough time in the out of form wilderness.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #244 on: 29 August, 2012, 06:37:46 pm »
I know there isn't a direct connection, but today I think Pietersen is a knob more strongly than I did yesterday. And yesterday I thought he was a massive knob.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #245 on: 29 August, 2012, 06:43:00 pm »
I wonder if it's because he suspects that the ECB intends to rehabilitate KP as soon as "decently" possible?  Of course, he could just have had enough and who can blame him.  He took England to the top and that must have put him under intense pressure over the years.  So much international cricket is played these days that it's pretty-much a disincentive to be good.  He's probably just worn-out.

Let's just say, "Thanks!"

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #246 on: 29 August, 2012, 06:49:25 pm »
I know there isn't a direct connection, but today I think Pietersen is a knob more strongly than I did yesterday. And yesterday I thought he was a massive knob.
I think I'll stick with 'arrogant prick'.
If he was half as good as he thinks he is then England would be in a far better position.

But he's not and we aren't.

Personally, I think Strauss handled the joint responsibilities of captain/opener pretty well - clearly he has his own reasons for wanting to retire from all forms of cricket, and it'll be a pity if he felt compelled to do so because of the antics of a bell-end like KP.

It'll be interesting to see how things pan out on the India tour.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #247 on: 29 August, 2012, 06:56:59 pm »
Agreed.

(I expect KP was just another irritation that made the job less enjoyable, rather than a key factor.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #248 on: 29 August, 2012, 07:46:51 pm »
Let's just say, "Thanks!"

Yes, quite.

Not eveybodys favourite, but Aggers was asking Boycott during the last test match how he would sum up Strauss's time as captain. It's out there somewhere, but Boycott didn't hold back in his complimentary assessment of Strauss during his reign, and I remember being very engaged with what he was saying.
I guess it's been in the air for some time.

I think he's been really excellent. Honest and dignified in departure too.
Garry Broad

« Reply #249 on: 29 August, 2012, 08:01:08 pm »
Still, I reckon Cookie will make a good captain providing he's actually given time to prove himself (or not) in the role.

Well, I most certainly hope so, but I must admit to being a bit nervous about him coming in right now. I don't think he's in a rock-solid place himself as far as batting form goes, and what with India in India, that's some challenge he faces. Still, good luck to him.
Garry Broad