Author Topic: The cricket...  (Read 256576 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: The cricket...
« Reply #300 on: 14 December, 2012, 10:31:00 am »
Last 10 overs 14 runs 3 wickets, I think is the stat.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #301 on: 14 December, 2012, 10:34:42 am »
Anyone know if their score of 330-ish is any good on this pitch?

I reckon it'll do  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #302 on: 14 December, 2012, 11:45:31 am »
Pessimism is the natural state for England fans, isn't it? They scratch their way to a semi-respectable score, then the opposition comes to smack it around with ease and turn the scoreboard over to 700-5 before declaring and bowling England out for 72. Uusually.

In this match, though, it sounds as though our bowlers got a lot more out of the pitch than the Indian bowlers.

Anyone know a good YouTube channel for highlights? The damn Sky monopoly is getting annoying.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #303 on: 14 December, 2012, 11:49:55 am »
It looks like the scoreboard is sponsored by a cycle manufacturer but it isn't, it is an incense manufacturer.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #304 on: 14 December, 2012, 01:27:08 pm »
Pessimism is the natural state for England fans, isn't it? They scratch their way to a semi-respectable score, then the opposition comes to smack it around with ease and turn the scoreboard over to 700-5 before declaring and bowling England out for 72. Uusually.

In this match, though, it sounds as though our bowlers got a lot more out of the pitch than the Indian bowlers.

Anyone know a good YouTube channel for highlights? The damn Sky monopoly is getting annoying.

I emailed the ECB about the lack of highlights and got a reply about host nation selling the cricket rights and also no terrestrial TV stations being interested....
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #305 on: 14 December, 2012, 07:58:35 pm »
Hven't checked this series, but until recently Ch4 then Ch5 were running a highlights show, around 8pm.

I generally consume the 5Extra highlights (on a loop) - might be on a podcast as well?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #306 on: 15 December, 2012, 10:07:42 am »
Now it really is turning into a game!

« Reply #307 on: 15 December, 2012, 11:12:02 am »
And it's getting better!

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #308 on: 15 December, 2012, 11:21:58 am »
There are usually highlights at close of play at crictime.com
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #309 on: 15 December, 2012, 11:55:38 am »
I clicked on that and was bombarded with spam.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #310 on: 15 December, 2012, 12:11:43 pm »
I go YouTube and search India England Cricket then use filter for 'today'

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #311 on: 15 December, 2012, 12:26:54 pm »
I clicked on that and was bombarded with spam.

I can only think it's adblock plus which is saving me from such a fate.

« Reply #312 on: 15 December, 2012, 01:33:08 pm »
Should be an interesting couple of days.  Dhoni and Kohli have made a series defeat for India less likely now.

« Reply #313 on: 15 December, 2012, 03:23:28 pm »
Considering England are 2-1 up in the series and this match is clearly heading for a draw - I'd say a series defeat is still the most likely outcome for India!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #314 on: 16 December, 2012, 06:55:18 am »
I have just read the Graun's over-by-over commentary. Charlotte has emailed to say "I'm pretty sleep deprived at the moment, courtesy of my 3-month-old..."

Now I haven't seen Charlotte for a while.

« Reply #315 on: 16 December, 2012, 08:49:52 am »
Considering England are 2-1 up in the series and this match is clearly heading for a draw - I'd say a series defeat is still the most likely outcome for India!

I was imagining an England 2nd innings of something like 80 all out...  Actually every time I tune in, within a minute or so, someone's out - first Cook and now Compton. 

« Reply #316 on: 17 December, 2012, 09:52:41 am »
So that's it then! Trott and Bell hit centuries and Root now averages over 100 in test cricket :P

First series win in India since 1985. I was only a child at the time, but I seem to remember Gatting and Botham hitting double centuries in the same match (or even innings) in that series?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #317 on: 17 December, 2012, 09:58:43 am »
Surely Root's average is 93? 73 out in the first innings, 20 no out in the second?

« Reply #318 on: 17 December, 2012, 10:30:17 am »
Surely Root's average is 93? 73 out in the first innings, 20 no out in the second?

Ah! My mistake, I got a bit carried away after reading "Vic has noticed that if Root can get to 27 not out by the close, he'll have a Test average of 100"

Of course, he didn't get to 27...

« Reply #319 on: 17 December, 2012, 10:31:42 am »
Good series win.   :thumbsup:

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #320 on: 17 December, 2012, 10:42:11 am »

Ah! My mistake, I got a bit carried away after reading "Vic has noticed that if Root can get to 27 not out by the close, he'll have a Test average of 100"

Vic remarked that his test average would be higher than any other Yorkshireman (and one Yorkshireman in particular).

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #321 on: 17 December, 2012, 10:53:14 am »
A nice comment I found on the Graun website:

I was watching 'Sports Personality...' last night and it occured to me that, wonderful though this sporting year has been, after losing the first Test and losing the toss in Mumbai, this turnaround is as big and unlikely a triumph as anything celebrated last night.
Cook's taking over has reset the team. They're like a computer that has been turned off and turned on again - still basically the same machine but apparently free of the various bugs and glitches that were riddling them by the end of last summer.

« Reply #322 on: 23 December, 2012, 02:59:43 pm »
I listened to the last 15mins of the T20 match; 3 to win off the last ball of the match... Pretty exciting stuff even though I'm not a huge fan of the 'shortest format'.

« Reply #323 on: 23 January, 2013, 01:08:53 pm »
You'd think that with all the money sloshing around in Indian cricket, that they'd be able to implement the umpire Decision Review System, with hawk-eye etc.  Not universally popular, but it does arguably help with those more outrageously bad umpiring decisions.

« Reply #324 on: 23 January, 2013, 03:45:16 pm »
Didn't India  use to be the home of betting scandals?  Any connection, do you think?