Author Topic: The cricket...  (Read 254337 times)

Re: The cricket...
« Reply #325 on: 23 January, 2013, 07:25:46 pm »
Nah, the BCCI just didn't want it implemented in the series with England. They've had a problem with it for a while, and I think the official line is that they question the accuracy of the predictive bit, used for lbw decisions. Which, of course, doesn't explain why they couldn't use the non-predictive elements.

There was a rumour that Tendulkar personally objected to it being used.

« Reply #326 on: 27 January, 2013, 02:08:21 pm »
so we win the last one day game against India after being absolutely hammered in the last 4, not just a win but we stuffed them, we only lost 3 wickets and had  3 overs left. Did we play better or did India just play badly or is there something more sinister afoot, do I need to put my deer stalker and pipe away?  :)

« Reply #327 on: 27 January, 2013, 02:17:24 pm »
We lost the series 3-2, not 4-1.

« Reply #328 on: 27 January, 2013, 02:33:22 pm »
 Oh OK I'll put miss marple back in the box then  :-[

« Reply #329 on: 28 January, 2013, 08:18:07 am »
And the two games England won were the only two where they won the toss.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #330 on: 28 January, 2013, 08:31:30 am »
I've heard a theory that India only win after winning the toss.

;)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #331 on: 31 January, 2013, 07:14:15 pm »
I've heard a theory that India only win after winning the toss.

;)

I totally missed this final match - perhaps the dead rubber effect.  A consolation win.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #332 on: 05 March, 2013, 10:21:42 pm »
Oh FFS!

At 9pm I was praising the benefits of NZ test matches - you can listen to a few hours before bedtime, then maybe listen to the highlights podcast in the morning - but now it's nearly 1030, and there's no play.

COs it's TOO DARK to play at 10am?!? In southern hemispshere March?!?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #333 on: 06 March, 2013, 09:06:36 am »
I believe it was raining, m'lud.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #334 on: 06 March, 2013, 06:29:54 pm »
I don't THINK it was raining at StartofPLay O'clock - unless i misheard the commentary. Just dark.

(In fact they said that floodlights would have allowed play!)

But I suspect it rained later ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #335 on: 06 March, 2013, 11:02:25 pm »
having teased a kiwi colleague about the NZ cricket side method of ensuring a 5 day match, I think it may be the England side who are glad it is a four day test.  :facepalm:

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #336 on: 07 March, 2013, 10:54:21 am »
deplorable sho by the mcc a lot of rabits :(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #337 on: 07 March, 2013, 03:35:59 pm »
I think it's business as usual for England: lose first test of an away series, get the bets on, win the series.  Nothing to worry about.

« Reply #338 on: 09 March, 2013, 11:38:41 pm »
Go on you Steven Finn!  ;D

I doubt you'll get another bowl in this match. What a dreadful pitch, how the fuck were we out for 167 first time out? Oh yeah, we were awful.
How's my trolling? Call 07700 900999.

« Reply #339 on: 10 March, 2013, 12:44:07 am »
Nothing to worry about.

I'd be hesitant to suggest that something has changed in English cricket over the last 15 years or so. Forget the number one rating that we held for a while [I'm sure that's not the case now], but what is heartening is a change in mentality in the face of things going wrong. Collapses used to follow collapses. How many of those did we used to see? But these days, a bad day at the office doesn't necessarily mean that it's all over for the rest of the series.
Garry Broad

« Reply #340 on: 10 March, 2013, 10:13:34 am »
Nothing to worry about.

I'd be hesitant to suggest that something has changed in English cricket over the last 15 years or so. Forget the number one rating that we held for a while [I'm sure that's not the case now], but what is heartening is a change in mentality in the face of things going wrong. Collapses used to follow collapses. How many of those did we used to see? But these days, a bad day at the office doesn't necessarily mean that it's all over for the rest of the series.

Yes, I agree.  It was also good to see Cook delivering (as he so frequently does) and England not being totally dependent on the South Africans!  Anderton is in the form of his life, too.

« Reply #341 on: 11 March, 2013, 02:15:49 pm »
Meanwhile, over in Australia...

Can you imagine Mitchell Johnson doing a powerpoint presentation? ;D

« Reply #342 on: 11 March, 2013, 04:26:45 pm »
Absolutely crazy!  If Arthur can't wotk out why they were hammered, then he is the one that should be on the plane; it's his job.  I think Richie Benhaud (peace be upon him) would have said, "Because India were better."

Edit - sorry don't know where that "h" came from!

« Reply #343 on: 11 March, 2013, 11:30:16 pm »
It's reminiscent of England's management in the nineties - except England at least had a couple of good players, whereas Australia are recalling Steve Smith :o

« Reply #344 on: 12 March, 2013, 12:47:30 am »
Blimey, things must be bad - I remember when he was England scrum-half!

« Reply #345 on: 14 March, 2013, 11:09:48 pm »
Second test: it's predicted to rain Sunday and Monday. I wonder if England are batting for a three-day game.

Still, Prior and Pietersen are together now, and they have a very good record as a partnership.

« Reply #346 on: 15 March, 2013, 12:10:30 am »
Hmmm.  3 South African centuries in the England innings?  I expect it's happened before but not often, I would think.  Looks like being very interesting in view of your weather report, Dean but I suspect under those circumstances that England will be playing not to lose, rather than to win.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #347 on: 15 March, 2013, 12:20:06 am »
South African ...
Are people still banging on about this? Or about 'foreigners' in other walks of life?

Do other nations fret over immigrants playing for their national sides?

Come on - its 2013, people move from one country to another, get over it!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #348 on: 15 March, 2013, 12:32:43 am »
I don't think I've ever said that I have a problem with it matt, because I haven't.  It's just a curiosity, that's all.  I suppose what helps the emigres is that they have a chance to learn their skills in a country where play is possible for so much more of the year than it is here, so it's no surprise that they surface easily over here.  You are too quick to start a fight!  It might help if you know that I also support the French team known as Newcastle United!

Peter

Edit  3 Centuries not going to happen now, anyway!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #349 on: 15 March, 2013, 12:51:15 am »
England captains not born in England? A few names spring to mind without even checking.

Colin Cowdrey
Mike Denness
Nasser Hussain
Tony Greig
Tony Lewis
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.