Author Topic: The cricket...  (Read 255932 times)

Re: The cricket...
« Reply #550 on: 14 July, 2013, 02:34:10 pm »
Decision Review System system.  ;)
How's my trolling? Call 07700 900999.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #551 on: 14 July, 2013, 02:45:08 pm »
Do you think England have tactics for this, you know, have they got a Decision Review System system system?
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #552 on: 14 July, 2013, 02:47:58 pm »
Whether they have or not, Alastair Cook knows how to use the System system very efficiently. More efficiently than Clarke anyhoo.

« Reply #553 on: 14 July, 2013, 04:10:12 pm »
 :thumbsup:  That was close.   Re. the DRS, as I think Alec S said on TMS, if a team reviews a decision and it doesn't go against them, that team should keep that review in hand and not lose it.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #554 on: 14 July, 2013, 06:17:34 pm »
Do you think England have tactics for this, you know, have they got a Decision Review System system system?
Andrew Strauss said that when he was captain, they wouldn't go for a review unless the bowler, wicketkeeper and Strauss himself (usually 1st slip with a pretty good view) all agreed it was out. It wouldn't surprise me if Cook had a similar system.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #555 on: 14 July, 2013, 06:26:22 pm »
DRS is fine.   Both teams know the rules so both have the same opportunities.   

Of greater intrigue to me is Hotspot.  Is it really infallible?  Could a batsman play a shot then run his gloved hand down the edge of his bat and confuse it perhaps?    When and how is the Hotspot image captured?   

Love it!   :thumbsup:

« Reply #556 on: 14 July, 2013, 06:34:05 pm »
Andrew Strauss said that when he was captain, they wouldn't go for a review unless the bowler, wicketkeeper and Strauss himself (usually 1st slip with a pretty good view) all agreed it was out. It wouldn't surprise me if Cook had a similar system.

I think Cook understands that a DRS review is all about playing the percentages, Clarke doesn't, he still thinks it's a chance of a free wicket if you're bowling or a get-out-jail-free card if you're batting.

Mind you, Haddin should have walked, he must have known he'd nicked the ball. Hardly in the spirit of the game was it?  ;D

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #557 on: 14 July, 2013, 10:57:50 pm »
DRS is fine.   Both teams know the rules so both have the same opportunities.   

Of greater intrigue to me is Hotspot.  Is it really infallible?  Could a batsman play a shot then run his gloved hand down the edge of his bat and confuse it perhaps?    When and how is the Hotspot image captured?   

Love it!   :thumbsup:

The hotspot footage is effectively from immediately after the ball hits the bat/pad, so no chance of rigging it.

« Reply #558 on: 15 July, 2013, 07:21:29 am »
:thumbsup:  That was close.   Re. the DRS, as I think Alec S said on TMS, if a team reviews a decision and it doesn't go against them, that team should keep that review in hand and not lose it.

I might be misunderstanding you but that's how it works now.

Quote from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umpire_Decision_Review_System
Each team is allowed to make two unsuccessful review requests per innings during a Test Match and one unsuccessful review request per innings during a One Day International.

When and how is the Hotspot image captured?   

It's a thermal imaging camera, so it's recording live play. As Jaded says they simply replay it to see if there was a nick as that shows up as a heat anomaly. It's not a single image but video.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #559 on: 15 July, 2013, 07:38:04 am »

I might be misunderstanding you but that's how it works now.

Quote from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umpire_Decision_Review_System
Each team is allowed to make two unsuccessful review requests per innings during a Test Match and one unsuccessful review request per innings during a One Day International.

Weren't they on about the situation where a review is technically correct, but the original decision is upheld (I.e umpire's call)?

I'm not sure I agree - DRS is supposed to be reserved for obviously wrong decisions - but I can see the sense in it.

« Reply #560 on: 15 July, 2013, 09:33:59 am »
Weren't they on about the situation where a review is technically correct, but the original decision is upheld (I.e umpire's call)?

Ah, yes, that would make sense.

I'm not sure I agree - DRS is supposed to be reserved for obviously wrong decisions - but I can see the sense in it.

It was introduced to stop the howlers (like the Broad not-out decision) however there have been several problems/failures:-

1) Australia (and plenty of other teams) have used the reviews for marginal calls rather than howlers and used them up so they aren't available when the howler does come along.
2) It relies upon technology run by the broadcasters (i.e. it is Sky that control Hotspot) and that system couldn't record and replay at the same time (what a crap system!) so they couldn't present the side-on Hotspot view for Trott's review as they'd cued up that system to replay Root's dismissal.

ObGrauniand:
Quote from: http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/jul/11/ashes-2013-england-cricket-team
England received apologies from the International Cricket Council and the founder of the Hot Spot thermal imaging technology after the dismissal of Jonathan Trott for his first golden duck in Test cricket had marred another memorable day of Ashes cricket in Nottingham.
Meanwhile Warren Brennan, a New Zealander who adapted the Hot Spot technology for cricket, contacted the ESPN Cricinfo website to confirm Sky's claim that the "glitch" which cost Trott his wicket was down to "operator error".

Brennan explained that the operator in question had not "triggered the system for the Trott delivery" because he was waiting to offer a replay of the previous ball from which Joe Root was given caught behind down the leg side. Root was left to regret his failure not to call for a review, as those replays showed no proof that he had edged Mitchell Starc's delivery.

3) The Agar stumping given not out by the third umpire despite all video evidence seeming to prove that it was a legitimate stumping. Even 3rd umpires are human and make mistakes. You still get a few 'mistakes' by the TMO/Video-Ref in Rugby.

« Reply #561 on: 17 July, 2013, 08:08:58 pm »
I see the Aussies are busy self-destructing again. 

http://m.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2013/jul/16/ashes-australia-mickey-arthur

Obviously it won't necessarily affect their onfield performances, but still.... ;D

« Reply #562 on: 18 July, 2013, 11:56:00 am »
Oh FFS!

« Reply #563 on: 18 July, 2013, 12:02:52 pm »
GROAN...    :hand:

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #564 on: 18 July, 2013, 12:31:35 pm »
I see we are making a match of it.

I guess it is the only way to make a 5-0 drubbing entertaining...

« Reply #565 on: 18 July, 2013, 12:48:44 pm »
Tufnell on R5 SportsExtra.

What an entertraining commentator :)

« Reply #566 on: 18 July, 2013, 05:38:22 pm »
Looking a bit better now - though a couple of quick wickets would soon change it.

« Reply #567 on: 18 July, 2013, 05:47:46 pm »
A century for Bell :thumbsup:

« Reply #568 on: 18 July, 2013, 05:57:48 pm »

« Reply #569 on: 19 July, 2013, 11:14:35 am »
Tuffers having a chat about how he'd had a chat with the head groundsman. "I was just talking to Mike Hunt, and...". Him and Aggers did exceedingly well to keep control, you could hear the effort it was taking.  ;D

« Reply #570 on: 19 July, 2013, 01:36:36 pm »
GROAN...    :hand:

The England higher order batsmen, esp Cook n'Root, are being carried by Bell atm.  They need to get a grip soon really, IMHO.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #571 on: 19 July, 2013, 01:48:58 pm »
It evens out. Cook had an amazing series in India when all about him were collapsing, Root scored a century against New Zealand and looked good and has just started opening.

England still look capable of collapsing, but nowadays it's rare for one of the top order not to score a century. I remember when fifties were celebrated, and centuries (even in defeat) were harped upon like victories.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #572 on: 19 July, 2013, 02:27:49 pm »
Had TMS on the car radio the other day and had to explain to Boy Wunja that it is only nominally about cricket. Mostly about cake, busses, people in the crowds and anything else that catches the commentator's eye. Tuffers fits in perfectly.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #573 on: 19 July, 2013, 02:42:45 pm »
Tuffers good. Vaughan not so much; too chavvy.

I used to think Blowers was great for TMS but I think his time might just be up.

McGrath is a welcome addition though.

Boycott is fine in short doses but sometimes he gets too long and it's all just a bit too much.

« Reply #574 on: 19 July, 2013, 03:03:52 pm »
Good to see Australia wickets tumbling, but I imagine the tail will wag. As usual....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!