Author Topic: The cricket...  (Read 256046 times)

Re: The cricket...
« Reply #675 on: 12 August, 2013, 08:43:02 pm »
and England have won the Ashes.   A good day.   :thumbsup:
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #676 on: 13 August, 2013, 08:12:42 am »
Crikey ! That was a spectacular bit of bowling.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Jakob

« Reply #677 on: 20 August, 2013, 04:13:29 am »
But at what cost?
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/aug/19/england-australia-ashes-2013-stuart-broad

I think he's very wrong when he thinks people will only remember the victory. Cricket is one of the few sports left where they at least pretend to adhere to the spirit of the game and it would be a real shame to see that get lost. (Which a 'winning-at-all-costs attitude will accelerate)

« Reply #678 on: 20 August, 2013, 10:59:58 am »
I agree with you Jakob.  There are so many contradictions in that statement by Stuart Broad that I think he was just running off at the mouth, without any consciousness of what he was actually saying.  He KNOWS what he did was poor but can't bring himself to make a non-weasel-words admission of it.  It's along the lines of: "I'm sorry if I offended anyone" instead of "I'm sorry I did it" apologies for tasteless remarks.  As for players being uncertain as to whether or not he'd hit it, everyone and his dog (except the umpire) thought he'd hit it.  Ashton Agar was only being polite and giving him the opportunity to admit he'd hit it.  Broad is frequently a superb cricketer (though not always) but I really wouldn't like to see him captaining the test team without a change of attitude.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #679 on: 20 August, 2013, 11:12:12 am »
People think they have hit the ball when they haven't, don't think they have hit it when they have.

Media fuss about not a lot.
It is simpler than it looks.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #680 on: 20 August, 2013, 11:14:19 am »
Apologising for having done it implies that under similar circumstances he wouldn't do it again, which of course he would.

I absolutely loathe these false apologies. It's all too easy these days for a teacher with responsibility for discipline to bring a child to apologise for what they have done. On the occasion that children have been brought to me by someone senior in order to apologise for their behaviour, the child, and very often the teacher, are shocked by my response.

"Do you know what an apology is? Do you? Do you?"

No response.

"OK, I'll tell you. An apology is an expression of sorrow, of regret, for having done something that you know is wrong and a promise that you will try to improve in the future. How many times this term have you apologised to someone for exactly the behaviour for which you are now apologising to me?"

Look of shock and horror on face of child, squirming by teacher.

"Your silence tells me that it's more than once. That means that your apologies mean nothing at all and if you apologise without it meaning anything, what does that make you?"

No response.

"If you apologise without meaning it, that makes you a liar, doesn't it?"

Look of shock on teacher's face now matches look of horror on child's. You aren't suppose to talk to children in this manner.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #681 on: 23 August, 2013, 11:34:14 am »
So Cook and Root have just passed 50 for their opening partnership. The best of this series!

The fact that it's taken them 9 innings to pass 50 together is a bit.. well, shit.
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #682 on: 24 August, 2013, 10:17:11 pm »
well it's all gone a bit flat and with all this rain interrupted play it gives the media time to drag up all the worst bits of the series and blow them all out of proportion, If Bell gets man of the series on Monday I think everybody will have a job to remember what it was for, including himself.
never mind covered pitches isn't it time to consider covered grounds, maybe if we did have covered grounds that little urn would be booking a seat on the next Quantas flight out of London.

I just got to mention the lack of our ability to bat on a batting wicket, or did it really change that much between the ozzies innings and ours. I don't fancy our chances of keeping hold of the Ashes this winter, might be worth checking out the prices at William Hill   

« Reply #683 on: 25 August, 2013, 09:23:42 am »
If Bell gets man of the series on Monday I think everybody will have a job to remember what it was for, including himself.

Well, if you think that then something written by a journalist probably won't interest you, but I agree with a lot of what Vic Marks says here.

I don't fancy our chances of keeping hold of the Ashes this winter, might be worth checking out the prices at William Hill

England haven't been great. Neither have Australia. I wouldn't expect much to change over the winter.
Garry Broad

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #684 on: 25 August, 2013, 05:20:56 pm »
Interesting last few overs, a way to make a draw exciting.

« Reply #685 on: 25 August, 2013, 05:33:03 pm »
despite my dislike of vic marks he does seem to have got Bell sussed out, at least the weather's been kind today and the game has now turned into a one day match or at least the tac ticks have we might be lucky and get a result other than a draw.
and I still can't see what all the  fuss is about KP, both Root and Trott have better batting averages in this series

« Reply #686 on: 25 August, 2013, 07:14:37 pm »
Mrs Ant is finally getting the hang of it. When Trott was given out she asked "Is he going to send that upstairs then?"  8)
How's my trolling? Call 07700 900999.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #687 on: 25 August, 2013, 07:21:22 pm »
Mrs Ant is finally getting the hang of it. When Trott was given out she asked "Is he going to send that upstairs then?"  8)
Ah, but did she think it was out? ;)

(I'm watching the text commentary ATM, but I get the impression that it was pretty much plumb)

« Reply #688 on: 25 August, 2013, 07:24:06 pm »
Nah, she said she thought it was plumb, but in the context of the game he might as well review it.  ;)

« Reply #689 on: 25 August, 2013, 07:36:30 pm »
no problem with seeing the ball that time,

no wonder people get pi55ed off!!!!!

whats the point of flood lights

« Reply #690 on: 25 August, 2013, 07:38:19 pm »
That's a fucking disgrace, umpires. Hang your heads in shame ICC.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #691 on: 25 August, 2013, 07:39:15 pm »
 :facepalm:

Someone give the ICC a bloody good slap ...

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #692 on: 25 August, 2013, 07:43:19 pm »
That was fantastic until the Westons came out  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #693 on: 25 August, 2013, 07:49:07 pm »
I'm not sure which is worse: the fact that the umpires took them off with 4 (or was it 5?) overs to go and the prospect of a result, or that I actually agree with Boycott on something  :o

« Reply #694 on: 25 August, 2013, 07:53:07 pm »
4 overs left, 21 runs required and 5 wickets down, would have been proper edge of the seat stuff

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #695 on: 25 August, 2013, 07:57:34 pm »
4 overs left, 21 runs required and 5 wickets down, would have been proper edge of the seat stuff
If I hadn't posted on FacePalm words to the effect that I thought Trott and Pietersen were taking the Aussies to the cleaners we'd probably still be 3 down ;D

I'm good at jinxing innings, me ...

clifftaylor

• Max - "make mine a Beophar Hairball Paste please"
« Reply #696 on: 25 August, 2013, 08:18:17 pm »
I'd imagine that the bloke who sent a text to the BBC team saying he had £10 on  England to win the match at 175-1 is a bit miffed  :o

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #697 on: 26 August, 2013, 08:21:36 am »
So we've all agreed the ICC are evil little shits who owe £50K to our supporters at the Oval. But:

Does the safety of the fielding side come into any of this? Discuss.

(I really don't know the answer ... I can't remember enough 'disputed' bad light decisions, and i've never seen one in the flesh.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #698 on: 26 August, 2013, 08:48:00 am »
My greatest concern is that people are going to think twice about spending large amounts of money on test match tickets.  I bet there are many who were stung yesterday who might not wish to risk repeating the experience.
The cost of taking a family to a test is already the major factor in deciding whether or not to attend.  Now we can also add the "What's the point?" factor.  >:(
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #699 on: 26 August, 2013, 09:32:46 am »
So we've all agreed the ICC are evil little shits who owe £50K to our supporters at the Oval. But:

Does the safety of the fielding side come into any of this? Discuss.

(I really don't know the answer ... I can't remember enough 'disputed' bad light decisions, and i've never seen one in the flesh.)

Of course it does. That's why we never play day night matches.