Author Topic: The cricket...  (Read 256693 times)

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
Re: The cricket...
« Reply #800 on: 18 July, 2014, 05:49:28 pm »
Proof that Cook really has lost the plot captaincy-wise: the new man in is .... Liam Plunkett

There are times and places for a nightwatchman. This is neither the time nor the place :facepalm:

« Reply #801 on: 18 July, 2014, 06:00:33 pm »
S, I don't know the match situation because I'm hoping to watch the highlights, but Liam Plunkett can bat - at least as well as Cook, who is not available because of a previous engagement.  If he bats now, he will be rested by the time he needs to bowl - unless he gets a hundred, which is quite possibe!
As for the place: the match is at Lords, Liam Plunkett is at Lords - I rest your case!

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #802 on: 18 July, 2014, 06:12:30 pm »
Yes, he can bat, but sending him in as nightwatchman strikes me as unnecessarily risky, even taking into account Matt Prior's less than stellar form at the moment (reading between the lines of the text commentary on the Beeb it would appear that Prior wasn't expecting Plunkett to go in before him either!)

But then what do I know? When I played cricket my batting ability was so bad that I generally got the right end of the bat on the second go and I can barely manage myself let alone myself plus 10 others ;)

« Reply #803 on: 18 July, 2014, 06:17:27 pm »
I talk a better game than I played, too!

« Reply #804 on: 18 July, 2014, 07:44:16 pm »
Proof that Cook really has lost the plot captaincy-wise: the new man in is .... Liam Plunkett

There are times and places for a nightwatchman. This is neither the time nor the place :facepalm:

What a lame looking prod for out from Cook.  Days are numbered.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #805 on: 18 July, 2014, 07:50:23 pm »
The fact that Kumar managed to get the ball to move around a bit certainly bodes well for a certain lad from Burnley.

Ballance's innings aside, England have been pretty 'meh' - if gadding around with his shirt off helps him to score centuries then long may it continue.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #806 on: 20 July, 2014, 02:59:08 pm »
319 to win ... this has just got very interesting.

Two mighty fine catches notwithstanding, this is Cookie's last throw of the dice I reckon ...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #807 on: 20 July, 2014, 03:05:39 pm »
319 is beyond England, I'm afraid. I hope they manage it but it's a very tall order.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #808 on: 20 July, 2014, 03:12:12 pm »
319 is beyond England, I'm afraid. I hope they manage it but it's a very tall order.
I'm inclined to agree - they can't keep relying on the middle order (and the occasional tail-ender) to bail them out. Plus there seems to be a fair bit of movement in the pitch now (that's the impression I'm getting, at any rate)

On the plus side there's definitely going to be a result, but I don't think it's going to be an England win - I'd love them to prove me wrong but really I don't see it happening. Even before the current woes their previous form vis-a-vis big run chases wasn't particularly good.

ETA: Just been a big appeal for leg-before - not given, but I bet the Indians are wishing they had DRS ...  :P

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #809 on: 20 July, 2014, 03:27:51 pm »
Quote from: BBC
Only once has a team made more than 319 in the fourth innings to win a Test at Lord's. The highest chases are:

344-1: West Indies v England, 1984 (below)

282-3: England v New Zealand, 2004

218-3: England v New Zealand, 1965

I remember that one in 1984. It was embarrassing. WI were just so good then - an unplayable pace attack, an enormous batting line-up with Richards coming at 4. Greenidge and Fredericks* scored the runs, I think. Gower was captain. That might even have been the test when he went for a helicopter ride.

*Wrong. It was Larry Gomes. Greenidge score 214 out of 334.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #810 on: 20 July, 2014, 03:43:14 pm »
First wicket gone ...

Gary Ballance, your country needs you (again) ... Cook's giving every impression of avoiding the strike. Not the sort of thing you'd want from an opener I'd have thought.

Anyway, I reckon Michael Vaughan has just nailed it - target notwithstanding, England need to take this on a session-by-session basis and try and avoid doing anything boneheaded. The weather sure as hell isn't going to save them.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #811 on: 20 July, 2014, 04:39:10 pm »
First wicket gone ...

Gary Ballance, your country needs you (again) ... Cook's giving every impression of avoiding the strike. Not the sort of thing you'd want from an opener I'd have thought.

Anyway, I reckon Michael Vaughan has just nailed it - target notwithstanding, England need to take this on a session-by-session basis and try and avoid doing anything boneheaded. The weather sure as hell isn't going to save them.

I think that's the only way to play for these big last-innings totals. It's a bit like doing a Bloody Stupid AudaxTM or s difficult chess ending. You just have to keep on whittling away at the miles/runs/tiny positional advantage and avoid mistakes. Psychology will enter into it quite a bit. England's first target is to make their opponents frustrated with lack of wickets and just keep the scoreboard ticking over. As the man said, "We'll get 'em in ones".

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #812 on: 20 July, 2014, 04:43:19 pm »
It looks like they're doing exactly that - chipping away at the total with the occasional boundary chucked in for good measure.

There are ominous reports of rain elsewhere in London, though ...

« Reply #813 on: 20 July, 2014, 05:02:26 pm »
unfortunately our batsmen are prone to doing boneheaded things just lately, all England need to do is take their time we have all day tomorrow to bat, fingers crossed,

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #814 on: 20 July, 2014, 05:21:46 pm »
Bell's just had his stumps rearranged ... :facepalm:

« Reply #815 on: 20 July, 2014, 05:22:14 pm »
I honestly didn't think it could get any worse, we could lose this game tonight if we're not careful

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #816 on: 20 July, 2014, 05:26:31 pm »
I honestly didn't think it could get any worse, we could lose this game tonight if we're not careful
I'm wondering if Plunkett might not be the next man in, in the hope that he'll repeat his performance in the first innings ... time for Root and Cook to dig in and occupy the crease a la Boycott/Tavare (which in turn would cause those few MCC members still awake to nod off ;) )

An hour and a bit left in this session, so 15-20 overs absolute tops ... more than enough time for things to go horribly wrong, and isn't there the prospect of an extra half hour if there's chance of a result? There's a very real chance that India could wrap this up this evening.

« Reply #817 on: 20 July, 2014, 05:33:24 pm »
yes they could claim an extra half hour if it looks like they may get a result, the only thing that might prevent that is bad light and I believe the flood lights are already on, OMG cook has gone !!!!!

« Reply #818 on: 20 July, 2014, 05:39:52 pm »
I think the captains performance is the least of the England squads worries, the main bowlers haven't performed, the main batsmen certainly haven't made runs and they can't blame the wicket this time, someone needs to have a serious word with the whole team!!

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #819 on: 20 July, 2014, 05:43:40 pm »
I blame the fact that there are all those foreign players in the Premiere League.
Oh, hang on...
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #820 on: 21 July, 2014, 10:46:06 am »
The burning question for today: will it be all over by lunch or tea? I very much doubt that we'll see an evening session ...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #821 on: 21 July, 2014, 02:26:07 pm »
It was all going so well until the last over before lunch.
It is simpler than it looks.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #822 on: 21 July, 2014, 02:34:13 pm »
Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!

What is this? A Test Match or catching practice for India?  :facepalm:

All three of the latest wickets were down to utterly moronic shots, and even their relative lack of experience is no excuse for Root and Stokes.

As for Matt Prior, I reckon he's Test career is pretty much dead in the water now. Get someone like Chris Read back behind the stumps and bring Jos Buttler in as a batsman until he's got a bit more experience at Test level.

Even by England's lax standards this has been utterly shambolic.

ETA: And as I typed this, Broad has been dismissed - 7 wickets for Sharma, and there's no reason why he can't add an eighth unless Jimmy Anderson has a few tricks up his sleeve.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #823 on: 21 July, 2014, 02:48:47 pm »
(click to show/hide)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #824 on: 21 July, 2014, 05:45:49 pm »
Well, Jimmy did have a trick up his sleeve to deprive the Indian bowler of his 8th wicket - he got himself run out!