Author Topic: The cricket...  (Read 256827 times)

Re: The cricket...
« Reply #850 on: 09 August, 2014, 02:47:06 pm »
quite right no helmet, also Gatt was asked by a reporter if it hurt ?? not sure what the reply was :)

« Reply #851 on: 09 August, 2014, 02:54:36 pm »
Just remembered, while the game was rained off yesterday they replayed the "Blackwash" programme interestingly all the England players they talked to who had played in that series were all very surprised by the reaction of the news papers and other media with regards to the intense fast bowling of the windies, the players all said it was just part of the game and they took it in their stride (or not) I was working on a pig farm just outside Bramley in those days   

« Reply #852 on: 09 August, 2014, 06:27:53 pm »
 :thumbsup:  result.

Finding Boycott a tad irritating on TMS atm; probably just how he kept repeating ad nauseum how poor/'brain scrambled', 'I couldn't say what I think of their play'/ 'pub team on 2 pints can play better'...the Indian side is.  Bordeing on disrespectful IMO, but also the England players have actually done pretty well.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #853 on: 09 August, 2014, 07:00:59 pm »
I don't bloody believe it ... go downstairs to cook my dinner, come back up (with aforementioned dinner) and it's bloody well finished.

Mind you, it was 66-6 when I went downstairs ...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #854 on: 09 August, 2014, 07:58:35 pm »
Boycott has always been irritating. Not just a tad - overwhelmingly so.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #855 on: 09 August, 2014, 08:46:07 pm »
yep he is irritating but he does talk some sense and he doesn't worry about upsetting players, if they play badly he will say so unlike other commentators who pander to the players which I find even more irritating.
Either way didn't the beaded wonder play well again certainly looks like he'll be a regular for a while at least :)

« Reply #856 on: 16 August, 2014, 03:02:15 pm »
I see Cook has finally scored a few runs. Not seen any of it, but from what I've read, he was dropped about eight hundred times....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #857 on: 16 August, 2014, 03:14:12 pm »
I see Cook has finally scored a few runs. Not seen any of it, but from what I've read, he was dropped about eight hundred times....
He's been on a bit of a roll - he was unlucky not to get a ton in the Third Test, although his efforts were somewhat outshone by those of Messrs. Ballance and Bell on that particular occasion.

This one is starting to look like another curb-stomp victory for England - India are playing like they don't really care any more.

« Reply #858 on: 16 August, 2014, 03:17:20 pm »
He's been on a bit of a roll - he was unlucky not to get a ton in the Third Test

Blimey! That must have passed me by - I'm sure I watched the highlights! Clearly not paying enough attention - I was thinking Cook hadn't scored more than about 23 for what seems like years...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #859 on: 16 August, 2014, 06:03:34 pm »
I see Cook has finally scored a few runs. Not seen any of it, but from what I've read, he was dropped about eight hundred times.
Of course 800 is well short of the Test record (1156, CB Smith in 1807 ),
But he is the youngest player to exceed 5000 in a season.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #860 on: 16 August, 2014, 07:16:40 pm »
So, overnight declaration or wait until Root gets his ton and then declare?

The lead is 240 or thereabouts - given India's performance with the bat I reckon this is plenty. Can't see there being much need for an evening session tomorrow ...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #861 on: 16 August, 2014, 07:27:16 pm »
It's the last test and they have the series in the bag. Do they really need to wrap this up inside 3 days? Or would they rather get some batting practice in? It would be a bit embarrassing if they declared and then India batted like - well, India.

I have a strong recollection of a match against India at the Oval when Brearley was captain in which England, batting third, were about 300 ahead with a couple of days to go. The pundits, most especially Trueman, were incensed that Brearley chose to bat on until the lead was well over 400. When India batted Sunil Gavaskar scored 220-odd and Vengsarkar scored over 100. At the start of the final over all four results were still possible, which just goes to show that Brearley was a considerably better judge of the situation, wicket and opponents than pretty well anyone else. The game ended as a draw, but it was possibly the most intensely exciting game of cricket I have watched, even including the incredible tests of 1981.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #862 on: 16 August, 2014, 07:51:06 pm »
Good points, all of them.

I think it's fair to say that India are currently a team in transition, rather like the Australians were after the retirements of Warne, McGrath, Gilchrist et.al. - with the possible exception of Dhoni, who I think is starting to buckle under the burden of captaincy, the Indians are lacking players of the calibre of the Vengsarkars and Gavaskrars of this world. You can't replace people like Tendulkar, Dravid, Laxman etc.etc. just like that - it takes time. Not so very long ago, England were in the same position.

Someone on TMS, it might have been Michael Vaughan (several beers have completely muller'd my memory so I'm not sure), suggested that India really need a true all-rounder like Kapil Dev but, quite frankly, I can't see any contenders at the moment. Even my Indian co-workers, several of whom are utterly cricket mad, are surprised and shocked at how quickly they've capitulated.

Admittedly, if I were in Cook's position I think I'd be somewhat torn: on the one hand, give the paying punters their money's worth and simply bat India out of the game (which, in turn, could lead to even more one-sided cricket which is no fun to watch) whilst on the other just try and get it wrapped up. I think it's a pretty tough call.

On the other hand, I can't help feeling that Sir Geoffrey might be right - irrespective of what happens, we're probably not going to see any cricket on Monday ...

« Reply #863 on: 16 August, 2014, 08:40:11 pm »
Bat on.  If we lose. India square the series.  There's no such thing as a result in the bag in Test cricket, especially at the end of the second day - and especially if it involves England.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #864 on: 16 August, 2014, 08:47:26 pm »
Bat on.  If we lose. India square the series.  There's no such thing as a result in the bag in Test cricket, especially at the end of the second day - and especially if it involves England.
Lo, the voice of reason ;)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #865 on: 16 August, 2014, 09:01:04 pm »
There's three days left yet. Bat on till at least lunch and possibly tea tomorrow and there's still two days to get the win.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #866 on: 17 August, 2014, 04:05:53 pm »
India 78 for 8.   Aready done, and nearly finished.

« Reply #867 on: 17 August, 2014, 04:07:04 pm »
Quote from: today's live text coverage
It shows how far India have slipped that when the television shows a procession of Indian wickets, one after another, that you have to concentrate hard to work out whether you're watching highlights or live footage...

Edit: Do you'll think India will make it to the tea interval in half an hour's time?
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #868 on: 17 August, 2014, 04:23:27 pm »
 :thumbsup:  Now that's some winning margin.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #869 on: 17 August, 2014, 04:31:45 pm »
I would not have been happy if I'd forked out the sort of money they charge for a ticket only to be presented with that pile of crap.
How could India possibly be that bad?  What's going on? 
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #870 on: 17 August, 2014, 05:04:27 pm »
I would not have been happy if I'd forked out the sort of money they charge for a ticket only to be presented with that pile of crap.
How could India possibly be that bad?  What's going on?
The IPL.
Why waste your time playing for your country in 5-day matches when you can smack a ball around for 20 overs and get paid very handsomely for it?

« Reply #871 on: 17 August, 2014, 09:25:05 pm »
hang on, don't get carried away, don't forget we've got the ODI's to get through yet and as interzen says the Indians do well at that style of game
also how would we have performed against a stronger side ? I don't think we're out of the woods yet but we do have a lot of promising younger players coming through,

« Reply #872 on: 25 August, 2014, 11:13:41 am »
phew it's raining, could save some embarrassment??

« Reply #873 on: 27 August, 2014, 10:21:03 am »
Ironic isn't it, the ODI comes to Cardiff and it isn't raining (yet)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #874 on: 12 September, 2014, 12:39:44 pm »
ICBA to look back through 35 pages to see if the County Championship has had a mention before, but congratulations to Yorkshire for winning it.