Author Topic: The cricket...  (Read 254337 times)

Re: The cricket...
« Reply #1025 on: 30 July, 2015, 03:31:19 pm »
Sorry, Jaded!

It's still moving at a right old pace, Aus are in their second innings and flying along.

« Reply #1026 on: 30 July, 2015, 04:15:14 pm »
4 down now! Need to get Warner out though...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #1027 on: 30 July, 2015, 05:26:51 pm »
4 down now! Need to get Warner out though...

Warner's the sixth wicket down. ;D
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #1028 on: 30 July, 2015, 11:21:30 pm »
Hashtag of the day: #finnsforfinn

https://twitter.com/hashtag/FinnsForFinn?src=hash

« Reply #1029 on: 31 July, 2015, 12:47:00 pm »
So how many wickets will England lose chasing 120 odd?  :P

Edit: I reckon they will be successful, but lose 6 wickets in the process

« Reply #1030 on: 31 July, 2015, 12:52:26 pm »
Aye, sounds about right. Still, it'll be a twitchy innings!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1031 on: 31 July, 2015, 12:54:20 pm »
Does anyone else gain the impression that this could all go horribly wrong? Is Anderson fit to bat?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #1032 on: 31 July, 2015, 02:55:24 pm »
121 to win? They'd better do it! I mean, if a T20 team can get that total in less than, errr, 20 overs, then surely
they can get 121 in 2 and a half days? :-\

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #1033 on: 31 July, 2015, 05:54:53 pm »
I wonder whether the swing from England being brilliant to being awful (and vice-versa with the Aussies) will continue.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1034 on: 31 July, 2015, 07:46:27 pm »
I wonder whether the swing from England being brilliant to being awful (and vice-versa with the Aussies) will continue.
I hope so - it will mean a 3-2 home win, I believe!

(the pundits seem to be attributing these results mainly to bad performances by various players, rather than exceptional "execution" - as they say - by any player/team. Whatevs ... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1035 on: 31 July, 2015, 08:17:47 pm »
121 to win? They'd better do it! I mean, if a T20 team can get that total in less than, errr, 20 overs, then surely
they can get 121 in 2 and a half days? :-\
I still remember 1981. In fact, I'll never forget those test.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #1036 on: 31 July, 2015, 08:25:57 pm »
Amazing series.  But I still wouldn't bet against Michael Clark getting a double hundred at Trent Bridge.

« Reply #1037 on: 31 July, 2015, 08:38:09 pm »
I hope so - it will mean a 3-2 home win, I believe!

(the pundits seem to be attributing these results mainly to bad performances by various players, rather than exceptional "execution" - as they say - by any player/team. Whatevs ... )

Batsmen playing bad shots is not always what it seems though. There's an awful lot of tactical cat and mouse in cricket that's not always obvious to the eye unless you're really into the game [which I'm not btw - can't watch it live now on terrestrial now anyway :( ]. Sure it may be a poor shot, but often a bowler will target a batsman in an area where he knows he might be a tad vulnerable, try and pin him down a bit, cause some frustration then bowl something that looks an average ball and the batsman's drawn into in an attempt to regress the balance get on top of the bowler, plays a poorly judged shot and it's all over. It's a sport that to some could easily have a kind of gentle, meek and mild image ['it's just not cricket'], but it's really, really intense out there when the heat is on - especially when you're trying to hit something that you can probably only just barely see coming at you in the first place.

And of course the game has changed, particularly Test Cricket - in many ways for the better, but it means that the concentration span to really build an innings is something batsman seem to find very difficult to do these days - probably because they're not called to do it anymore! So consequently you're going to get a a lot more seemingly 'positive' stoke playing going on - until the positive shot turns out to be a needless stupid shot. Especially when the balls is moving about nicely :)

Fascinating series though.
And really pleased for Steven Finn.
Garry Broad

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1038 on: 01 August, 2015, 11:31:00 am »
Very true!

(although I didnt say it was just the batsmen being blamed. )

Either way, it's been exciting stuff so far :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Andrew

« Reply #1039 on: 01 August, 2015, 11:45:29 am »
I think I read somewhere yesterday (the beeb live coverage?) that England are now 'officially' the most inconsistent test side.  That's better than being crap I guess!

I don't know why but I'm more surprised by the Aussies being inconsistent. Maybe it's to do with them being away from home, or maybe a side in transition (some of them are getting on a bit!), bit whatever it is, they're not to their normal standard methinks. Not that I'm wanting to take anything away from England's good performances!

« Reply #1040 on: 01 August, 2015, 02:44:00 pm »
What's especially surprising, to me at least, is that this is pretty much the team that beat England 5-0 a little over a year ago.  If England win the series, the two teams will be tied on 32-32.

« Reply #1041 on: 01 August, 2015, 04:32:13 pm »
I don't know why but I'm more surprised by the Aussies being inconsistent.

What I can't quite get my head round is all this talk of the different pitches and how the Aussies haven't been able to play against Andersen and Broad on a pitch that offers plenty to the bowlers. That may be true, but that's hardly a new phenomenon is it? The Australian Test side has had generations of experience playing in English conditions, they know the terrain of the place, the ball has always swung over here, why is it any different this time? That can only be be down to the batsmen not having the quality to adapt to conditions they're not used to when needed. Also, I was reading somewhere that they've had very little adaption time on this tour prior to the test matches.

I must admit, after the Glamorgan Test I thought that Australia they might come back and even win the series 1-4. I put that down to the theory that Johnson actually played well in that game, he was unlucky not to get more wickets, Root, whose innings was the difference in terms of numbers, should have been caught, and England, despite winning, were bowled out twice by Australia. Obviously the Lords test saw me on track to winning a shed load, but now I'll have to revise that prediction somewhat! [I was close to paying a visit to the bookies, but didn't.]
Garry Broad

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #1042 on: 01 August, 2015, 05:53:16 pm »
I think I read somewhere yesterday (the beeb live coverage?) that England are now 'officially' the most inconsistent test side.  That's better than being crap I guess!

WLWLWLW in their last seven tests. First time ever, apparently. Not long ago there used be draws in test cricket.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1043 on: 01 August, 2015, 07:02:57 pm »

WLWLWLW in their last seven tests. First time ever, apparently. Not long ago there used be draws in test cricket.
... and play on the 5th day.

[top stat that,  BTW Sal]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #1044 on: 01 August, 2015, 08:05:53 pm »

... and play on the 5th day.

[top stat that,  BTW Sal]

I can't remember where I read it, probably @zaltzcricket. Who also came up with the stat that Warner's 77 was the lowest hiighest score in a test match with 8   50s.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1045 on: 02 August, 2015, 01:39:25 pm »
I think he stretched a bit for that one.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #1046 on: 06 August, 2015, 11:14:34 am »
A reasonable opening over for England  :)

Edit: Second pretty good too!

Edit 2: And the third  :P

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1047 on: 06 August, 2015, 11:22:59 am »
Blimey!
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #1048 on: 06 August, 2015, 11:26:07 am »
<Checks scoreboard>

:o  ;D
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1049 on: 06 August, 2015, 11:36:09 am »
According to TMS, that is the earliest the fifth wicket has fallen in any test match ever.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.