Author Topic: The cricket...  (Read 256147 times)

Re: The cricket...
« Reply #1275 on: 02 July, 2016, 10:51:43 am »
Ah!  Thanks.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #1276 on: 16 July, 2016, 09:48:26 pm »
Today at Lord's ( I was there!) was gripping. We knew it would be a pivotal day - and it pivoted both ways. Come close of play, I reckon it's all still in the balance. Great cricket, great weather, and this time I didn't knacker myself out riding a Boris Bike from Waterloo.

« Reply #1277 on: 30 July, 2016, 09:32:20 pm »
I see that Aus vs SL was a gripping game - 25 consecutive maiden overs before O'Keefe finally succumbed.

« Reply #1278 on: 05 August, 2016, 04:20:12 pm »
Sri Lanka are performing brilliantly - looking as though they'll take a 2-0 lead with their makeshift team. Not bad, considering the players they've had retire recently.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/aug/05/australia-skittled-for-106-as-sri-lankan-spinner-rangana-herath-bags-hat-trick

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1279 on: 05 August, 2016, 06:57:03 pm »
The current test match is beautifully poised. Well done to
(click to show/hide)

A good old-fashioned combination of guile & graft.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #1280 on: 05 August, 2016, 06:58:45 pm »
Yes, excellent stuff from Sri Lanka.  I understand that Australia are top of the rankings - have they beaten anyone lately?  (I'm out of touch).  England have been superb, today.  And Durham look as if their march to their correct place as County Champions is going well at Taunton*, though I expect the authorities might have a word with Somerset about the pitch - 35 wickets in two days!

*ETA - or possibly not!

« Reply #1281 on: 06 August, 2016, 11:25:24 am »
C'mon Rooty - need a decent total to defend.  Draw possible if England hang in there well I guess.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1282 on: 06 August, 2016, 12:41:03 pm »
Having shared a railway with them for much of the last 24 hours, I'd just like to say that cricket fans are my all-time favourite kind of drunken ballsports revellers. 

« Reply #1283 on: 07 August, 2016, 04:26:19 pm »
And Durham look as if their march to their correct place as County Champions is going well at Taunton*, though I expect the authorities might have a word with Somerset about the pitch - 35 wickets in two days!

*ETA - or possibly not!

Yeah, that went well ;D

The England test is still rolling on - I think 5 wickets fell while I was out at the shop :o

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1284 on: 07 August, 2016, 08:01:44 pm »
A very good team effort by England.

What a strange lot they are! A few years back, Cook was churning out the runs like Bradman and England were sweepnh all before them. Then, unaccountably, largely the same players were dross and couldn't do anything right. Now they come from a first innings deficit of over 100 runs and win the match by over 100.

Confused of Prittlewell.

« Reply #1285 on: 07 August, 2016, 08:20:59 pm »
Sorry, Wow, I think you might want to pay more attention - the team (and backroom staff) have changed a lot. Apart from Cook, Broad, Anderson, I don't think any of 'em were playing in the all-conquering team that won the 2010-11 Ashes in Australia and were number 1 in the world. Wait, Steven Finn as well, though he was hardly an integral part of the team, Tremlett being the fast bowler.

So the entire middle order, the second opener, the wicketkeeper, half the seam attack and the spinner, plus the coaching staff, are all different  :-*

In the meantime, there were a few retirements (including England's most successful spinner and Trott at number three, who hasn't really been replaced. Plus the entire coaching staff changing at least twice (I've probably lost count somewhere along the way), and the whole KP debacle. And Andrew Strauss scarpering to become a Tory MP or something. They still look like a work-in-progress apart from Cook and Root of the top order batsmen and a few others (Woakes has been brilliant this summer, and Finn had a good test), though at least they've finally found a suitably ginger Durham all-rounder replacement for Paul Collingwood, injuries permitting.

« Reply #1286 on: 07 August, 2016, 08:49:39 pm »
Stokes is an accidental Englishman - but I'm glad he signed for Durham!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1287 on: 08 August, 2016, 08:57:49 am »
Sorry, Wow, I think you might want to pay more attention ...

Oh, I don't pay attention at all! Cricket records used to be my special subject when in quiz teams, but I have found that it is impossible to keep track of recent events (that's to do with being old) especially when cricket is no longer broadcast on accessible television.

« Reply #1288 on: 08 August, 2016, 01:23:44 pm »
Also, Cook was churning out runs in Australia on hard flat pitches against a fairly weak Aussie bowling attack.

Not to be critical of his performances as I think he's the best batsman England have ever had it's just that time changes and that particular tour he was utterly brilliant and it's unlikely he'll repeat such a feat.

I'm glad in recent series he's got over that slightly sticky period and is showing the class we all know he has.

The best thing about the latest performance was it was a team effort. Runs all the way down the order and wickets taken by all of the bowlers (except Root, who is only a part timer). I don't think we've had such strength in depth for many many years.

I'm going to the Oval on Saturday. Really looking forward to it.
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1289 on: 30 August, 2016, 08:43:03 pm »
Crikey!

« Reply #1290 on: 30 August, 2016, 09:37:39 pm »
A quadruple Nelson... England expects that every player will belt it over the boundary?  ;D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/37225767
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1291 on: 30 August, 2016, 10:37:56 pm »
Quite a few records in that match!
It is simpler than it looks.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #1292 on: 31 August, 2016, 11:48:58 am »
Quite a few records in that match!

I watched the England innings on and off. The bowling wasn't that bad but the fielding was awful. Plenty of wry smiles from the bowlers, esp from Mohammed Amir, but also Wahab, who thought he'd bowled Hales, only for the 3rd umpire to signal a no-ball. The ball had ricocheted off the stumps to the boundary, so England also got 4 byes. Plus a free hit.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #1293 on: 31 August, 2016, 12:01:40 pm »
I dipped in and out as well. Quite an innings. Apparently Hales was awarded a run when it should have been a bye but that seems to have been forgotten, or at least not removed from the record.
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1294 on: 20 October, 2016, 08:51:34 am »
Not a great start in the First Test.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #1295 on: 21 October, 2016, 09:08:18 am »
... for the umpires, mind you when the ball is turning square I feel sorry for the umpires giving LBWs.

On a brighter note the England middle order recovered well to post just shy of 300. Now the bowlers need to step up.

« Reply #1296 on: 21 October, 2016, 09:23:20 am »
One of those Broad hat-tricks would help.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1297 on: 30 October, 2016, 10:15:02 am »
Oh crikey! Mind you, 273 to win in the last innings is always a tall order. Scores higher than that are not achieved very often...

« Reply #1298 on: 30 October, 2016, 11:19:26 am »
Last 8 wkts went for 34 runs - fair old collapse that.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1299 on: 30 October, 2016, 02:05:52 pm »
Excellent result for Bangladesh! Well done them!