Author Topic: The cricket...  (Read 256489 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: The cricket...
« Reply #1300 on: 30 October, 2016, 03:01:13 pm »
Last 8 wkts went for 34 runs - fair old collapse that.

Pants! They were about 90 for nothin when I went out on my bike. I come back at lunchtime and it's all over  :facepalm:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1301 on: 30 October, 2016, 04:31:52 pm »
Pah, I was hoping for another early morning win tomorrow.  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #1302 on: 10 November, 2016, 07:30:40 am »
Quite surprising...  "England have only had three hundreds in an innings once before in Asia, against India in 1961"  Last time time in UK, was against Sri Lanka in Cardiff, 2011   TMS   Though it does seem Stokes has been riding his luck, with the dropped catches.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1303 on: 08 December, 2016, 08:32:27 am »
The new boy done good.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1304 on: 11 December, 2016, 07:50:57 am »
But not this time. I think England have an uphill struggle...

« Reply #1305 on: 16 December, 2016, 02:10:09 pm »
I was up super early, so watched quite a bit of today's play.

I must say, I really am getting pissed off with all this video evidence. It is still so often inconclusive. I am obviously talking about Root's dismissal.

All "Ultimate Edge" (or whatever it's called) proved was that something made a noise at about the time the ball passed the bat. It could have been anything. The third umpire had no choice but to give him out, but you could tell from his voice that he wasn't happy about it.

It's come too far now to get rid of it, I just wish they'd never bothered and left it to the on field umpires like they'd been doing for the last 300 odd years....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #1306 on: 16 December, 2016, 03:21:15 pm »
Problem being that 300 years ago or even 30 for that matter there wasn't the all round coverage invested by tv companies. A blatant mistake by the umpire is so public something has to be decided.

In most cases I see the review works, I didn't see roots dismissal but it sounds like a one off case. The review system is slow and clunky in my view, we don't need to hear the third umpire making his decision and it all takes too long. It can't be dismissed entirely- even India gave up in the end but it's certainly not perfect and no one in the game should think it is
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1307 on: 16 December, 2016, 03:42:58 pm »
I'll bet there's a measurable noise when a ball passes a bat so close, without touching, and the air does something odd.

« Reply #1308 on: 16 December, 2016, 03:51:12 pm »
I'll bet there's a measurable noise when a ball passes a bat so close, without touching, and the air does something odd.

Yeah, I wondered about that too. IMO, if there is no visible contact, even at super slo-mo, you just give the benefit of the doubt to the batsman.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1309 on: 20 December, 2016, 09:51:38 am »
103-0
196-7

oops.

This was a good opportunity for 3-0

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1310 on: 20 December, 2016, 09:55:11 am »
200-8

It's going to be 4-0

« Reply #1311 on: 20 December, 2016, 10:28:39 am »
I've not been able to actually see any of this series.  Obviously India are the world's no. 1 team at the moment but do their spinners really move the ball?  I expect "yes".  And "we"  (our motley crew of South Africans and New Zealanders)  tend not to play genuine spin too well because we never see it at county level because we only have slow bowlers rather than spinners, since the retirement of Graeme Swann, who really could move the ball.  That said, this has all been a bit pathetic, hasn't it? 

« Reply #1312 on: 20 December, 2016, 10:38:40 am »
6 wickets for 15 runs!

« Reply #1313 on: 20 December, 2016, 11:13:00 am »
One of England's problems in the series was apparently lack of an effective spin attack...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #1314 on: 22 December, 2016, 09:05:30 am »
I've not been able to actually see any of this series.  Obviously India are the world's no. 1 team at the moment but do their spinners really move the ball?  I expect "yes".  And "we"  (our motley crew of South Africans and New Zealanders)  tend not to play genuine spin too well because we never see it at county level because we only have slow bowlers rather than spinners, since the retirement of Graeme Swann, who really could move the ball.  That said, this has all been a bit pathetic, hasn't it? 

It is of course the pitches in India. They take a hell of a lot more turn than English pitches. Or indeed the hard, bouncy tracks you find everywhere else in the world. The Indians always exploit this.

I think the 4-0 result looks worse than it actually was. I watched quite a lot of theis series and much of the time England played quite well. Not taking anything away anything from India - they were the better side.

The biggest problem IMO is that the England team just didn't want to be there. They didn't want to go to Sri Lanka and there sure as hell didn't want to tour India straight afterwards. I'm not surprised by the collapse on the final session of the final day of the final test. They'd long had their flights home booked just a few hours after the final test was due to finish. They just wanted to get out of there.

India is the hardest place to go and win. Of course England did win in 2012 and that is almost entirely down to attitude. Of course, the old guard of Cooke, Broad, Anderson etc were all still in their 20s. Plus there were players like Swann and Pietersen. They went on that tour with the attitude "LET'S. FUCKING. DO THIS!". They went on this tour with the attitude of "Ohhh, do we have to?".

Cooke will almost certainly go as captain now and we must bring through the younger players. Get some fighting spirit back. The talent is there, but at the moment, the application isn't...

Just my two penn'orth

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1315 on: 22 December, 2016, 10:07:11 am »

« Reply #1316 on: 23 December, 2016, 12:46:29 am »
ICC Captain of the year

Alastair Cook was named captain of the ICC Test team of 2016. The voting period closed in September, before England's Test series defeat in India.

Bobb, I'm sure you're right about the pitches.  But not so sure about the need to bring young players on.  With the exception of Cook, Anderson and Broad, this was, I think a team for the future.  Let's hope they develop some  "let's do this!"!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1317 on: 27 December, 2016, 06:18:32 pm »
Cook still has quite a future ahead of him. He's only 32, which is still quite young for a batsman - his birthday is Christmas Day. Gooch was 41 when he last played for England.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #1318 on: 27 December, 2016, 06:31:27 pm »
I think the question is whether or not he will remain captain and whether or not he wants to carry on with international touring.  He's a farmer, I think, or wants to be.  He'd get in the side ok - none of the several hundred (it seems) openers we've tried comes anywhere near him so far, although the new South African looks a possibility.  However, if he (Jennings) had not been dropped on 0 in his first innings (when he went on the score a century) his test average would have been almost 0 after three innings, I think.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1319 on: 27 December, 2016, 09:32:23 pm »
True. I'm trying to think of England captains who have lost the job but carried on in the team. Botham sticks out like a sore thumb as the most obvious. I am sure there must be others. Without checking, my memory tells me that Gooch scored the vast bulk of his test runs when he was considerably older than Cook. His brilliant match-winning innings in Headingly 1991 was when he was 38. His triple century was the previous year. If you take a snapshot of his test career up to the age of 32, Gooch would have been quite unimpressive.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1320 on: 15 January, 2017, 11:26:58 am »
The first half of the match has gone well.

« Reply #1321 on: 15 January, 2017, 04:35:26 pm »
The second, not so much...
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1322 on: 15 January, 2017, 09:14:12 pm »
 >:(

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1323 on: 15 January, 2017, 10:03:30 pm »
Well done India! Scintillating run chase.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1324 on: 22 January, 2017, 04:09:48 pm »
That was tense.