Author Topic: The cricket...  (Read 256601 times)

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
Re: The cricket...
« Reply #1650 on: 11 August, 2018, 06:05:03 pm »
Quote from: Auntie
If anyone tries to say that no one follows Test cricket then we should just show them how many tweets we've received since our scorecard broke. Again, we know and some guys in a dark room are trying to fix it.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #1651 on: 11 August, 2018, 06:46:25 pm »
 ;D

GN: It's fixed now.

BN: The umpires have called bad light, chiz.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1652 on: 11 August, 2018, 06:53:29 pm »
I don't think they'll declare over night (as suggested elsewhere).  I think they should tell Woakes to swing the bat and declare when he's either out or bogged down about an hour before lunch.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1653 on: 11 August, 2018, 06:59:01 pm »
Declaring after a few minutes' play in the morning gives England, as the batting side, the choice of which roller to use. If England declares overnight, India will get that choice.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1654 on: 12 August, 2018, 03:42:20 pm »
Seems to be going not too badly...
It is simpler than it looks.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1655 on: 12 August, 2018, 07:03:33 pm »
It seems to have gone very well.

I suspect England would have won anyway, but they definitely had the best of the weather for both batting and bowling.

« Reply #1656 on: 14 August, 2018, 01:00:08 pm »
Stokes not guilty. Wonder if he'll be back in the squad for the 3rd test.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #1657 on: 14 August, 2018, 02:29:29 pm »
According to Aggers, there's still the matter of a disciplinary hearing for Stokes.

Stokes and Hales now face ECB independent disciplinary committee, likely to face charges of bringing the game into disrepute. Might take a few days, up to a week to convene.

https://twitter.com/Aggerscricket/status/1029336821287792640

Reading the comments, a lot of people seem to have difficulty in understanding why this would be happening after Stokes was found not guilty, but I think they are overlooking the fact that Stokes got into a fight in the first place, which does not reflect well upon him as a sportsman representing his country, and by extension the rest of the team.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1658 on: 14 August, 2018, 02:58:09 pm »
I have to say that the impression I gained from the way the trial was presented on television was that he's pretty fortunate to have been found not guilty.

« Reply #1659 on: 14 August, 2018, 03:12:22 pm »
Stokes not guilty. Wonder if he'll be back in the squad for the 3rd test.

Apparently he is.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/45186732

I guess they are letting him play on the basis that per the Aggers tweet I quoted, the earliest that they could convene a disciplinary hearing is during/after the 3rd test, which starts on Saturday.

Innocent until the guilty bastard is marched in?  :demon:

« Reply #1660 on: 14 August, 2018, 03:28:09 pm »
One question, at the centre of this whole saga was the gay couple the various accused allegedly passed derogatory remarks to. Yet I got the impression they never gave evidence in the trial for either prosecution or defence? Or did I miss that bit?

A

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1661 on: 14 August, 2018, 07:12:30 pm »
I have to say that the impression I gained from the way the trial was presented on television was that he's pretty fortunate to have been found not guilty.

I think when the prosecution ask at the beginning of the trial for a lesser charge to be considered, that’s quite a big flag about the case.

I’d imagine that the way it has been presented on television is to sell TV rather than to explain the finer points of the law.

« Reply #1662 on: 15 August, 2018, 08:33:22 am »
One question, at the centre of this whole saga was the gay couple the various accused allegedly passed derogatory remarks to. Yet I got the impression they never gave evidence in the trial for either prosecution or defence? Or did I miss that bit?

The same thing crossed my mind. They sounded quite pivotal in terms of evidence, but certainly the media didn't give any details.
I didn't follow it that closely though, in fact my only contact with the case were reports on TMS during the last test, which I was quite surprised by in itself. In one sense the CCTV footage [how come that got into the public domain?] looked clear cut as regards violence, but the details of the case reported during the trial were really sketchy. In times of judgement, I often have to remind myself of something I frequently forget, that being - I wasn't there on the night.
Garry Broad

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1663 on: 15 August, 2018, 09:01:15 am »
He told the court that he had intervened after hearing homophobic abuse directed at two young men, Kai Barry and William O’Connor. They were not called to give evidence.

Mr Barry, 27, told ITV News in an interview broadcast yesterday: “When I realised who he [Mr Stokes] was, I thought fair play, because he’s obviously put his career at risk for someone that he never knew.”

« Reply #1664 on: 15 August, 2018, 10:35:56 am »
I think when the prosecution ask at the beginning of the trial for a lesser charge to be considered, that’s quite a big flag about the case.
He was charged with affray, and going on the basis of the video, I don't think it was surprising he was found not guilty.
Affray requires that a hypothetical bystander would fear for his safety (going by the blurb at the end of this article: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-45182868 )

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1665 on: 15 August, 2018, 12:09:44 pm »
Actually, I'm not sure if ABH is a lesser charge, based on the sentencing.

However, I'd expected the CPS and those important people to know.  ;)

« Reply #1666 on: 15 August, 2018, 01:31:34 pm »
He told the court that he had intervened after hearing homophobic abuse directed at two young men, Kai Barry and William O’Connor. They were not called to give evidence.

Mr Barry, 27, told ITV News in an interview broadcast yesterday: “When I realised who he [Mr Stokes] was, I thought fair play, because he’s obviously put his career at risk for someone that he never knew.”

Ah that's interesting, thanks, hadn't seen that.
Garry Broad

« Reply #1667 on: 15 August, 2018, 11:55:38 pm »
This might be of interest - it’s the “route to verdict” given to the jury, setting out all the issues they had to consider.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DklLW-aW4AIulzI.jpg

H/t: https://twitter.com/BarristerSecret/status/1029436855073296384

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1668 on: 16 August, 2018, 06:25:55 pm »
On another matter (ie cricket) are there any other national dailies that are as poor at reporting the County Championship as the Graun is? I would actually like to view a few matches’ scorecards, which is the quickest and easiest way to find out what has been going on, but if they are publishing g the it is in a place so well-concealed that it is hardly publishing.

« Reply #1669 on: 16 August, 2018, 07:33:58 pm »
Peter, have you tried the BBC text - 340 and the Scores menu?

« Reply #1670 on: 17 August, 2018, 01:30:59 pm »
Stokes in for Curran.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #1671 on: 17 August, 2018, 02:40:26 pm »
Stokes in for Curran.

Well... somebody was going to have to make way, and I'm glad it wasn't young Pope, but that's pretty hard on Curran, he's played well enough to hold his place - the 63 he got in the first test basically changed the impetus of the game.
Garry Broad

« Reply #1672 on: 17 August, 2018, 02:46:58 pm »
I'm sorry, I just think it's wrong.

« Reply #1673 on: 17 August, 2018, 03:05:05 pm »

Yes, when I said 'somebody was going to have to make way' I wasn't implying that it was the right thing to do....

Legally of course, there is nothing wrong with selecting him, but it's uncomfortable and leaves a bad taste imo, especially when a young player that has played well has to make way.
Garry Broad

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #1674 on: 17 August, 2018, 03:38:24 pm »

^ +1

Applies to Cipriani too.

(.....runs for cover at deep fine leg...….)