Author Topic: Pit Ponies 100 - a day out on the railtrails  (Read 2858 times)

Pit Ponies 100 - a day out on the railtrails
« on: 24 September, 2021, 11:15:00 pm »
Quick heads-up for my 100 km in December from Darlo: https://audax.uk/event-details?eventId=9225

I reckon it's about 40-50% on traffic-free trails, and they also provide good shelter from the winter weather. I've a few entries already, but plenty of space for more, as I've booked a hall in Cockerton Haughton and I'll prepare a few winter warmers for the finish.

You can have a skeg at the route here, POIs include the bridge-within-a-bridge at Witton Park (now open again after extensive refurbishment), and Fields chippy in Esh, one of the last coal-fired chippies in the UK. The route through Durham should get you through as pleasantly as possible, but you can go off route to take in the sights: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/37751152

Update 12/10/21 - route change, it's now anticlockwise cos of the change to the start

(same weather not guaranteed)

Re: Pit Ponies 100 - a day out on the railtrails
« Reply #1 on: 24 September, 2021, 11:43:24 pm »
There's that orange bike again.......

Trev and I are hoping to do this, Dean.  I'll get the entries off.  We'll be ambling, not just because of incompetence but because there's a lot of our ancestry tied up in the route.  I've just been looking at a really old Durham OS map and I think that quite a bit of the off-road is old railway lines - is that right?*  That will be great.

Will there be parking near the hall?  With my state of fitness it might be a bit to far to ride out and back from Trev's - especially if I'm coming up on the day.

It's a terrific route.  I was only reading about the "new" bridge the other day.

Good luck

Peter

*  Edit - maybe if I read the whole title it would help!  Also, I saw Field's Chippy on a Portillo railway programme the other day.

« Reply #2 on: 26 September, 2021, 10:51:37 pm »
Aye, it's pretty much all rail trails for the off-road bits, be lovely to see you there!

« Reply #3 on: 27 September, 2021, 09:40:02 am »
Just popped an entry in, sounds like a fun day out!

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #4 on: 27 September, 2021, 08:08:31 pm »
That's a cracking route Deano.  Lovely for December.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #6 on: 14 November, 2021, 12:10:29 pm »
Wow!  I'm down for this, M.  It would be great to see you - though I can't be certain I'm riding till I actually set off!  Nice to hear from you anyway!

Peter

« Reply #7 on: 14 November, 2021, 07:15:43 pm »
mebbees

Awesome, I'll save you a card in case you want a late weather-dependent entry.

More comebacks than Status Quo ;D

« Reply #8 on: 18 November, 2021, 02:13:05 pm »
Dean - I noticed while out on a ride this week that part of NCN1 (in the Haswell area) is closed for repairs.  In the plan for these repairs it also mentions the section around Shotton.  I haven't been able to find any information on the web so might be worth contacting Durham CC to check?  If the Shotton section is closed, there is a road that runs parallel through to the Station Town entrance onto the track down to Thorpe Thewles.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

« Reply #9 on: 18 November, 2021, 03:12:19 pm »
Dean - I noticed while out on a ride this week that part of NCN1 (in the Haswell area) is closed for repairs.  In the plan for these repairs it also mentions the section around Shotton.  I haven't been able to find any information on the web so might be worth contacting Durham CC to check?  If the Shotton section is closed, there is a road that runs parallel through to the Station Town entrance onto the track down to Thorpe Thewles.

Cheers Dave, I'll have a look when I'm riding this weekend, but we come off before Shotton so it mightn't affect the route.

« Reply #10 on: 21 November, 2021, 07:02:25 pm »
Nah, it won't affect us, I'd edited out the faffy bit between Shotton and Haswell anyway, and that's the closed bit.

Decent ride though, only slightly damp and chilly on places.

I still have a handful of cards left if anyone else fancies it.

« Reply #11 on: 06 December, 2021, 08:31:56 am »
Glad I made the effort to get up to this. Nice to be off the roads for a good chunk of the day and to be out somewhere I've not ridden before. Thanks Dean!

« Reply #12 on: 06 December, 2021, 09:16:05 pm »
Glad I made the effort to get up to this. Nice to be off the roads for a good chunk of the day and to be out somewhere I've not ridden before. Thanks Dean!

Cheers atk ;D

« Reply #13 on: 06 December, 2021, 09:22:00 pm »
Everyone seemed to have a decent day out, I had very few complaints about the weather at the end. I had just over 30 folk out on the day, one very early DNF when he was plagued by punctures, and a couple who finished out of time (but were still well fed at the finish).

A lot of the route is traffic free, but you still have to keep an eye out...

Some decent bridgery along the way:

Socks:

Mr Ben:

All the photos are here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/7m21GPb8XpecTNoH9

« Reply #14 on: 07 December, 2021, 05:55:25 pm »
Yes, those VC 167s can go for you! Is that what Trev and I always called Thorpe Thewles viaduct when we were kids?

« Reply #15 on: 07 December, 2021, 09:40:41 pm »
I guess so, second bridge north of the old station.

Hoping to put it on again next year with a revised route and a visit to the coast at Seaton Canoe (pure MSeries bait).

mr ben

• Some routes may be arduous.
    • ramblings and randonees
« Reply #16 on: 08 December, 2021, 10:08:53 am »
Cracking route Dean, not to mention arriving back to a MENU.  Nice to see the variety of bikes in attendance.

Is that...did you transport a full pan of soup?
Think it possible that you may be mistaken.

« Reply #17 on: 08 December, 2021, 09:55:33 pm »
I'll try again next time, Dean!  It gets ever more ancestral: dad born in Hartlepool, caravan holidays at Crimdon Dene, etc.

« Reply #18 on: 08 December, 2021, 10:44:52 pm »
I'll try again next time, Dean!  It gets ever more ancestral: dad born in Hartlepool, caravan holidays at Crimdon Dene, etc.

Hush, or I'll send everyone past Green Dragon Yard so you can recreate your first album cover (we will go pretty close anyway)

« Reply #19 on: 08 December, 2021, 10:46:38 pm »
Cracking route Dean, not to mention arriving back to a MENU.  Nice to see the variety of bikes in attendance.

Well, yes. How else was I meant to get it there?

TBF if I'd known the timings of riders arriving, I'd have made it at the hall.

mr ben

• Some routes may be arduous.
    • ramblings and randonees
« Reply #20 on: 09 December, 2021, 02:49:09 pm »

Well, yes. How else was I meant to get it there?

TBF if I'd known the timings of riders arriving, I'd have made it at the hall.

;D
Think it possible that you may be mistaken.

« Reply #21 on: 09 December, 2021, 08:00:00 pm »

Hush, or I'll send everyone past Green Dragon Yard so you can recreate your first album cover (we will go pretty close anyway)

;D