Author Topic: eBay rant  (Read 27009 times)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: eBay rant
« Reply #75 on: 29 June, 2021, 07:47:38 am »
These days if you want to sell second hand then use FB.  We sold the cargo trike in a week - Bank Transfer, no fees.  eBawho?

I've been quite successful with Gumtree for flogging stuff - all cash on collection payment and no fees.   Just have to be aware that some enthusiastic buyers fail to show up so don't stop the ad until the item has been paid for.

The best "miracle deal" I've had:  replaced the granite worktops in the kitchen (quite a lot of it with one bit 2.5m long) - put it on Gumtree for £500 not expecting a result - got a bite from someone on the south coast (I'm in Warwickshire) wanting to buy it.  Deal made at the price with a £50 deposit by bank transfer (my non/seldom-used account) subject to the fitters getting it all out ready for collection - if they bust anything I refund the deposit)  Success and everything outside for collection - balance paid to bank and a van and driver sent (alone) to collect.  It was made clear that no loading help was available for the very heavy granite - and own risk etc.  Loading was farcical but successful and I got a gushing message of thanks the next day from the buyer.

Fastest sale has been 8 minutes for a bench vice at £30 - collected within the hour from posting.  :thumbsup:

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #76 on: 02 July, 2021, 04:05:38 pm »
Only one 52T 110BCD chainguard exists, it's metal, and you have to buy it from Taiwan.  They shipped it in a jiffy bag.  It turned up bent  :facepalm:
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #77 on: 08 July, 2021, 10:58:36 am »
Just received an item not received request for something I sold 2 months ago. Unfortunately, I haven't kept the proof of posting details (I got rid of them a couple of weeks ago as I thought that it was safe by that point, since I'd expect the buyer to have got in touch before now).

However, just checked and the buyer left positive feedback, so I'm confused. ???

« Reply #78 on: 08 July, 2021, 12:23:34 pm »
Just received an item not received request for something I sold 2 months ago. Unfortunately, I haven't kept the proof of posting details (I got rid of them a couple of weeks ago as I thought that it was safe by that point, since I'd expect the buyer to have got in touch before now).

However, just checked and the buyer left positive feedback, so I'm confused. ???

Well, that was pleasantly easy to resolve. Spoke to live chat, and as it had been well over 30 days since the estimated delivery date, the case was closed. :thumbsup:

rogerzilla

« Reply #79 on: 29 July, 2021, 09:27:43 pm »
I refer to the parcel that turned up after a refund: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=83743.msg2645311#msg2645311

Buyer wants to pay me and asks for.my PayPal address.

We don't have each others' PayPal details as the new eBay managed payments obscure them.

I can't send him any contact or payment details as eBay, desperate not to lose their pound of flesh, are blocking all such messages, although they told me on the phone to arrange payment between ourselves.

Luckily I have his postal address and a first class stamp.  Good luck blocking that, eBay  8)

« Reply #80 on: 30 July, 2021, 12:29:38 pm »
Trying to schedule a listing and ebay says 30 July is Thursday..
Move Faster and Bake Things

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #81 on: 30 July, 2021, 12:33:24 pm »
(Checks date/time display at top of fondleslab screen)

I've been one day out all week.  Probably due to skipping dinner on Monday because sizeable lunch.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #82 on: 30 July, 2021, 12:43:40 pm »
I refer to the parcel that turned up after a refund: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=83743.msg2645311#msg2645311

Buyer wants to pay me and asks for.my PayPal address.

We don't have each others' PayPal details as the new eBay managed payments obscure them.

I can't send him any contact or payment details as eBay, desperate not to lose their pound of flesh, are blocking all such messages, although they told me on the phone to arrange payment between ourselves.

Luckily I have his postal address and a first class stamp.  Good luck blocking that, eBay  8)

I think you can still send him a photograph of the "item".  Or your address and phone number.

rogerzilla

« Reply #83 on: 23 November, 2021, 07:57:16 am »
I hate sellers who cancel auctions early when there are bids.  It's against the rules and the seller is supposed to contact bidders first and ask to cancel the bid.  But the greedy bastards don't bother.  Worse, eBay puts the item into a memory hole so you can't see that you ever had a bid on it.

rogerzilla

« Reply #84 on: 05 January, 2022, 08:04:08 am »
Hmmm.  Just sold an item doubly marked as "collection only" and the buyer wants it posted after 18th Jan  :facepalm:

rogerzilla

« Reply #85 on: 22 March, 2022, 02:51:52 pm »
Another joybidder, who bought a bike because "I hoped my brother would want it but he found another one".  Right.

« Reply #86 on: 28 March, 2022, 09:27:57 pm »
Would someone be kind enough to run through the correct course of action if selling a bike on Ebay and planning to allow collection?

How does it all work with the new Ebay-managed payments system? Can I insist on payment first in any way, or is it a requirement that the seller offers cash on collection?

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #87 on: 28 March, 2022, 10:01:00 pm »
Once they've paid you cash and collected the item from you, you just mark the completed auction as paid and dispatched, and that's it.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #88 on: 28 March, 2022, 10:09:34 pm »
For collection, the buyer should get sent a QR code. Then you scan that in the Ebay app, to prove they have collected it.

robgul

« Reply #89 on: 29 March, 2022, 08:02:46 am »
For collection, the buyer should get sent a QR code. Then you scan that in the Ebay app, to prove they have collected it.

Or as I have done on numerous occasions for various items bike/non-bike - a paper delivery note they sign as "received as seen and tried" - and then as Adam says mark as sent etc.

« Reply #90 on: 29 March, 2022, 08:14:50 am »
That is what happened for me last year when I bought a derelict bike.  Not having a mobile communication device, I printed the QR which also came with an instruction "if the code doesn't work then -" (I cannot remember the rest).  The seller was able to scan my print out using his magic mobile communication device, and all was well.

rogerzilla

« Reply #91 on: 29 March, 2022, 10:26:38 am »
That's to prevent PayPal fraud where the buyer claims non-delivery/non-collection.  The word is that, even without this proof, PayPal will not take the money back if they have proof that the seller has reported the attempted fraud to the police.

robgul

« Reply #92 on: 01 April, 2022, 08:37:44 am »
This isn't a rant per se but an observation on ebay bids and reserve pricing.

If an item has an opening price of say, £20, and a reserve of, say £100, then if someone makes a bid (of however much) the bid only shows at the next increment above the opening price (say £22)  - despite the bidder being willing to pay more - then if there's a second or more bidders then the price still only rises at the increments.

Given that there's a reserve and the incremental bids aren't going to win that seems pointless - the logic to me would be that if bidder 1 was willing to go to, say, £80 then the price would reflect that as he is "bidding against the reserve" - likewise subsequent bidders would see a more realstic price related to the reserve.  [Or in the same vein, if the openng bidder pitched more than the reserve then the price would go straight to the reserve and therefore sell]

Perhaps my logic is faulty . . . . as a buyer it would be transparent, and as a seller ditto and weed out the tyre-kickers.

« Reply #93 on: 01 April, 2022, 11:46:23 pm »
Once they've paid you cash and collected the item from you, you just mark the completed auction as paid and dispatched, and that's it.

Thanks. What if it is a PayPal transaction? In this case, a deposit has been paid (via Paypal) and there is an agreement to pay the balance via PayPal on collection. Do I just wait until it appears in the app and extract it to another account asap?

Edited to add: I realise I have now veered off topic as I have yet to brave Ebay with this item, and the payment arrangement relates to a forum sales corner.

rogerzilla

« Reply #94 on: 02 April, 2022, 08:05:16 am »

If an item has an opening price of say, £20, and a reserve of, say £100, then if someone makes a bid (of however much) the bid only shows at the next increment above the opening price (say £22)  - despite the bidder being willing to pay more - then if there's a second or more bidders then the price still only rises at the increments.

Given that there's a reserve and the incremental bids aren't going to win that seems pointless - the logic to me would be that if bidder 1 was willing to go to, say, £80 then the price would reflect that as he is "bidding against the reserve" - likewise subsequent bidders would see a more realstic price related to the reserve.  [Or in the same vein, if the openng bidder pitched more than the reserve then the price would go straight to the reserve and therefore sell]

Perhaps my logic is faulty . . . . as a buyer it would be transparent, and as a seller ditto and weed out the tyre-kickers.
SOP for reserve auctions (which are utterly pointless on eBay) seems to be to make an "accidental" large bid of, say, £1000, to find out exactly what the reserve is, then retract it, saying "entered wrong amount".

robgul

« Reply #95 on: 02 April, 2022, 10:02:07 am »

SOP for reserve auctions (which are utterly pointless on eBay) seems to be to make an "accidental" large bid of, say, £1000, to find out exactly what the reserve is, then retract it, saying "entered wrong amount".

Can't quite see why you think reserves are useless on ebay?   If selling an item the seller, not unreasonably, has a minimum acceptable figure - i.e. a reserve. 

I have to confess I've won auctions with a low bid for items that are worth way more than the hammer price where the seller just had a start price  . . .  a two year old Van Nic Ti bike frame & forks as an example for not much more than double figures  (and it hadn't been stolen - came with the original bill etc!)

« Reply #96 on: 02 April, 2022, 11:44:46 am »
Can't quite see why you think reserves are useless on ebay?   If selling an item the seller, not unreasonably, has a minimum acceptable figure - i.e. a reserve. 

I have to confess I've won auctions with a low bid for items that are worth way more than the hammer price where the seller just had a start price  . . .  a two year old Van Nic Ti bike frame & forks as an example for not much more than double figures  (and it hadn't been stolen - came with the original bill etc!)
So just set the starting price as your 'minimum acceptable figure'.
Then it is clear that if someone bids that, they could actually buy it. Why try to obscure it with a reserve?

rogerzilla

« Reply #97 on: 02 April, 2022, 11:46:00 am »
^^
As above.  Reserves just annoy buyers.

robgul

« Reply #98 on: 02 April, 2022, 12:04:24 pm »

So just set the starting price as your 'minimum acceptable figure'.
Then it is clear that if someone bids that, they could actually buy it. Why try to obscure it with a reserve?

Can't say I agree - the chances of getting a bid(s) at the "acceptable price" are many times less than a lower price start that runs up to meet or pass the reserve . . . that's how live auctions work to get the punters on the hook and progress from there.

Whatever, my point was really about bidding levels vs the reserve rather than the principles of a reserve.

rogerzilla

« Reply #99 on: 02 April, 2022, 12:10:10 pm »
But on eBay, the serious buyers only bid in the last 10 seconds. eBay is basically a one-week advertising service with an blink-and-you'll-miss-it sealed bid auction at the end.