Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 941576 times)

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #9425 on: 17 May, 2021, 07:10:28 pm »
Breach Low budget sci-fi with Bruce Willis. Mildly entertaining, but really also quite bad. VFX budget was probably a tenner and a cup of tea.

« Reply #9426 on: 23 May, 2021, 04:35:17 am »
Zack Snyders "Army of the Dead". Better than I expected, but I also had very low expectations. Some pretty good set pieces and jokes, but it's a bit long and a rather silly.

ian

« Reply #9427 on: 24 May, 2021, 09:37:25 am »
Zack Snyders "Army of the Dead". Better than I expected, but I also had very low expectations. Some pretty good set pieces and jokes, but it's a bit long and a rather silly.

I didn't really it was him till the opening credits. It wasn't so bad, but he still can't pace a movie and it dissolved into the usual slow drudgery at the end.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #9428 on: 25 May, 2021, 08:43:55 pm »
Moneyball

It’s good, isn’t it.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #9429 on: 25 May, 2021, 09:48:43 pm »
Not heard of it.  Is it about the Premier League?!

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #9430 on: 25 May, 2021, 10:12:29 pm »
Not heard of it.  Is it about the Premier League?!

American Rounders.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #9431 on: 26 May, 2021, 12:51:41 am »
Ha!  Closer than I thought!

Nomadland
« Reply #9432 on: 28 May, 2021, 08:15:05 am »
I hope I haven't missed a dedicated place for films.
Anyone seen Nomadland?

I waited weeks for it to hit the small screen and when it happened I was slightly disappointed.
Frances McDormand was excellent as usual, the cinematography was wonderful but it was too much a documentary of an American way of life, for my taste. For me, the film didn't flow at 24fps and was more a flip book look at lives.
The sort of film I can watch without an open book on my lap but that I am unlikely watch again in the near future.
Never knowingly under caffeinated

« Reply #9433 on: 30 May, 2021, 10:00:22 pm »
Just watched The Drop for the umpteenth time.
Very good indeed.

« Reply #9434 on: 31 May, 2021, 07:40:37 pm »
Stalingrad.

Having just finished Jonathan Dimbleby’s Barbarossa, I believe events earlier in the conflict would have made an even greater film. They couldn’t call it that of course.

Unfortunately the Eastern front is of far less interest to  transatlantic filmgoers than their own ancestors’ experiences.

Stalingrad is nonetheless a great depiction of the horror from the German perspective.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #9435 on: 01 June, 2021, 12:10:44 am »
Queen and Slim: Badlands meets Thelma & Louise with the underground railroad in reverse. Worthy, but could have been better.

Wildlife: I'm a fan of Richard Ford, so this was always going to be of interest. The casting, the performances, the direction and the cinematography combine to create an understated gem.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #9436 on: 01 June, 2021, 12:51:40 am »
Just watched The Drop for the umpteenth time.
Very good indeed.

Never seen it before, or even heard of it, after you mentioned it, i watched it tonight. Very good.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #9437 on: 01 June, 2021, 09:52:15 am »
Stalingrad.

Having just finished Jonathan Dimbleby’s Barbarossa, I believe events earlier in the conflict would have made an even greater film. They couldn’t call it that of course.

Unfortunately the Eastern front is of far less interest to  transatlantic filmgoers than their own ancestors’ experiences.

Stalingrad is nonetheless a great depiction of the horror from the German perspective.

I've always thought Kursk would make a great film but as you say no USA or UK involvement so even though it would be epic and its as important as D-Day or Midway it will probably never be done.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

ian

« Reply #9438 on: 01 June, 2021, 11:56:46 am »
Siberia.

The blurb claimed it was some John-Wickish action feature featuring our man himself, Lord Keanu of Reeves.

It wasn't. Oh it so really wasn't.

It could be branded a 'sexy' 'thriller' though it succeeded in neither. If you want to see Keanu banging a random Russian woman with all the passion of a bored man hammering nails into wood, you're in the right place. Why, who the fuck knows, he doesn't seem to know either. I'm not normally the sort of person to say 'too much sex' but good god, put it away.

As to the thriller part, you won't care. Something to do with diamonds and the ubiquitous Borises of the Russian mob. Nothing bothered to make much, if any sense. I have no idea why he was in Russia, who he was, or for that matter, why he was keeping Molly Ringwald at home.

Avoid like you would a STI – at least with that you might have excuseably enjoyed the prelude to the wait at the clinic. This movie is just clinic.

Re: Nomadland
« Reply #9439 on: 01 June, 2021, 12:12:13 pm »
I hope I haven't missed a dedicated place for films.
Anyone seen Nomadland?

I waited weeks for it to hit the small screen and when it happened I was slightly disappointed.
Frances McDormand was excellent as usual, the cinematography was wonderful but it was too much a documentary of an American way of life, for my taste. For me, the film didn't flow at 24fps and was more a flip book look at lives.
The sort of film I can watch without an open book on my lap but that I am unlikely watch again in the near future.

Yes.

I enjoyed it, but your criticisms are quite valid. It is a film without a narrative, all that really changes is your understanding of the main character. But effective nonetheless.

« Reply #9440 on: 01 June, 2021, 12:27:14 pm »
Effie Gray

A biopic about Effie Gray who married and divorced John Ruskin. It's shot beautifully and very oppressive like their marriage. I enjoyed it.
Emma Thompson wrote it and has a bit part as Efffie's understanding older friend.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9441 on: 17 June, 2021, 03:52:13 pm »
Started watching It on Netflux, baled after 15 minutes. Very poor. It felt as if they'd turned the book into a checklist and were rushing to cover all the points as fast as they could. The 1990 TV series was far better.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #9442 on: 28 June, 2021, 02:26:12 pm »
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.
A very British film and all the more lovely for it. :)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9443 on: 28 June, 2021, 02:35:47 pm »
Just watched the trailer. Now it's on the list.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #9444 on: 28 June, 2021, 02:40:29 pm »
Wish Dragon. Animation. Pleasant entertainment. I enjoyed it once I got into it (I was having a bad attack of not wanting to watch a film).

ian

« Reply #9445 on: 01 July, 2021, 07:33:09 pm »
I've not watched it yet, but any film with the tagline 'these hijackers planned for everything... except the vampire who is secretly on the plane' is getting me excited.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #9446 on: 01 July, 2021, 07:48:05 pm »
I've not watched it yet, but any film with the tagline 'these hijackers planned for everything... except the vampire who is secretly on the plane' is getting me excited.

This sounds like potentially the best film ever made. What is it?

Last night, I was browsing the offerings on the box and under “feel-good films” they had Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure, so I watched that. Still makes me laugh. A lot.

Shocking disregard for the rules of continuity though. Which would annoy me if it weren’t so thoroughly and joyously entertaining.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

« Reply #9447 on: 01 July, 2021, 08:05:37 pm »
Blood Red Sky, says my email from Netflix.

They'll probably mess it up like Snakes on a Plane, of course, but I still think that's the best tagline ever.

The weird thing is that if you ever listen right to the end of the safety briefing they tell you precisely what to do should your seatmate turn out to be a vampire mid-flight. But no one in the entire history of flying, has ever paid attention to the end of those briefings. Even the Wright brothers were "ok, whatever, we get it, crash into water, blow into the tube, can we take off now?"

"Shouldn't we tell them about the vampires, Martha?" Plane takes off.
"They'll just have to figure it out."
"We didn't warn about high heels on the slide either."

« Reply #9448 on: 03 July, 2021, 04:33:25 am »
"The Tomorrow War"

This is a great example of what happens when you let lead actors also be executive producers...and it's not good.
I thought it was bad until the 3rd act....where it just became hilarious. Sorta a mix up of Alien, Predator, The Hobbit and Michael Bay, all fit into telling what most would spend a whole movie on, in about 25 minutes. (And it still feels long).

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #9449 on: 03 July, 2021, 09:39:47 am »
There’s a reason why this kind of film is released mid-summer….
It is simpler than it looks.