Author Topic: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square  (Read 338633 times)

Re: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square
« Reply #800 on: 04 January, 2020, 06:01:40 pm »
What's Wandrer, Russell?

I got a whole 4! new squares today. It was an entertaining ride, apart from jarring my knee a bit, which kiboshed my plan to walk out and get a couple more squares.

I had a chat with a gamekeeper along a shootin' track - he spotted me and caught me up on his quad while I was fighting with my rain jacket and the wind.

Him: "How far up are you going?"

Me: "Dunno, how far does it go?"

He was quite relaxed about me riding it, he just wanted to let me know I properly shouldn't. Turns out, it's really handy for getting two awkward squares. I already had one of them, though, since I yomped up the hill at the opposite edge of the square last March :)

I've set myself a target of getting my square to 40x40 by the end of January. Knocked one of the squares off today, half a dozen more to go...

« Reply #801 on: 04 January, 2020, 06:12:57 pm »
What's Wandrer, Russell?

It uses Strava to work out where you've been, and lets you know when you ride new roads

https://wandrer.earth/
@CorbieLinnRider

« Reply #802 on: 04 January, 2020, 06:18:18 pm »
Nooooo, not another one...!

10 new squares today but a cluster increase of 30.

Last week I did this. Ffs.

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #803 on: 05 January, 2020, 09:02:16 am »
What's Wandrer, Russell?

It uses Strava to work out where you've been, and lets you know when you ride new roads

I was intrigued by this, but there wasn't much info on the front page... I signed up anyway, and granted Wandrer all the permissions it asked for. Then I learn that it's limited to my last 50 rides unless I pay for a subscription. I'd rather have known that before I ticked 'grant access' to everything. Anyway, the 'delete account' button was easy to find, so that's a plus. I'm paying the VeloViewer subscription mainly for the Explorer Tiles game, Wandrer looks interesting but is perhaps too much of an overlap with Explorer Tiles to justify my cash.

« Reply #804 on: 05 January, 2020, 09:04:06 pm »
Ah fuck that then.

« Reply #805 on: 06 January, 2020, 09:28:03 am »
What's Wandrer, Russell?

I was intrigued by this, but there wasn't much info on the front page... I signed up anyway, and granted Wandrer all the permissions it asked for. Then I learn that it's limited to my last 50 rides unless I pay for a subscription. I'd rather have known that before I ticked 'grant access' to everything. Anyway, the 'delete account' button was easy to find, so that's a plus. I'm paying the VeloViewer subscription mainly for the Explorer Tiles game, Wandrer looks interesting but is perhaps too much of an overlap with Explorer Tiles to justify my cash.

That's odd, as i'm displaying around 3000 rides and I don't pay a penny
@CorbieLinnRider

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #806 on: 06 January, 2020, 10:16:42 am »
Early adopters of Wandrer had all their rides loaded for free.

« Reply #807 on: 06 January, 2020, 10:27:24 am »

That'll explain it then, thanks.

Back on topic,
Yesterdays ride round Kielder Water increased my total from 9816 to 9819, by riding the peninsula i usually miss out
No changes to cluster or max square though.
@CorbieLinnRider

« Reply #808 on: 06 January, 2020, 12:49:39 pm »
What's Wandrer, Russell?

Anyway, the 'delete account' button was easy to find, so that's a plus.

A cross would have been better.

« Reply #809 on: 06 January, 2020, 03:20:54 pm »
I punted my max square from 24 to 26 early on Xmas day with some festive trespassing. Not a soul to be seen, except me...  :facepalm:

I have my targets firmly set on 30 x 30. I have 2 big clusters on opposing corners that I could work over with a carefully devised route, other than that lots of odds and sods annoying distances apart.

Great fun. 

« Reply #810 on: 06 January, 2020, 11:13:53 pm »
I've cracked, sorry, here's my 2019.

« Reply #811 on: 07 January, 2020, 09:07:33 am »

I guess the early adopters should be thankful that our rides didn't get chucked out too.

Wandrer is going to be very computationally expensive (calculating every road is harder than calculating every tile) so I'm not surprised the Wandrer has tried to monetize much earlier than VeloViewer did. But I still think it is a bit pretty premature to pay - the basic static pages (like About and Scoring) are out-of-date but could easily be fixed. The real beef for me is that the road detection algorithm isn't very well tuned for the UK yet - loads of footpaths and private roads are marked as needing to be visited if you want to get to 100%. For the UK it should be roads and bridleways. I know this is mainly a problem with the underlying OpenStreetMap data, but is not unfixable - e.g. the rowmaps.com guy has marked up all bridleways. If he managed to do that, I reckon I'd end up paying for Strava AND VeloViewer AND Wandrer.

« Reply #812 on: 12 January, 2020, 07:44:46 pm »
I used the Rapha Festive500 to nibble away at the edges of my square with rides on flooded roads, badly diverted bridleways, barbed wire fences etc - all part of the fun.

Yesterday I had a nice tow into wind by the club run before I cut a corner for one tile then diverted after the cafe stop to pick up another couple near Market Harborough.  This gives me two overlapping 41*41 squares.  There is a bunch of tiles near Corby that I 'need' - I wonder if I can convince the club to drag me over there next Saturday  ;)

« Reply #813 on: 19 January, 2020, 11:55:32 am »
I managed to get 4 new tiles yesterday on @Deano 's Yad Moss / St Moritz 200
It was a bit too far from home to increase my cluster, which remains at 366
Unlucky for me, I'm still stuck on 13 x 13
@CorbieLinnRider

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #814 on: 20 January, 2020, 06:05:13 pm »
Started to target the gaps in my cluster. Got 3 tiles today (with a bit of walking boggy off-road paths) and pushed my cluster from 189 to 201. Gained 67 tiles since Jan 1st and increased my cluster score by 58.

2020-01-20_05-18-06 by ian, on Flickr

« Reply #815 on: 21 January, 2020, 09:54:21 am »
Moving house really boosts the motivation.

I had a few hours to kill in Zunlun yesterday so walked their beaches. It was a lovely day, but it'll take more than Sunshine to make Sunderland ever bearable.

Jack_P

• Cycling hobo
« Reply #816 on: 22 January, 2020, 03:57:07 pm »
Really got motivated at the end of last year trying to up my 2019 square, and I asked Veloviewer Ben about a current year KML.
He replied that he hopes to have a more specific area for explorers available this year with more tools, when he secures his first employee to help.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #817 on: 22 January, 2020, 05:13:59 pm »

I had a few hours to kill in Zunlun yesterday so walked their beaches. It was a lovely day, but it'll take more than Sunshine to make Sunderland ever bearable.

You could have gone for a ride on the fun bus.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #818 on: 22 January, 2020, 05:14:44 pm »
He replied that he hopes to have a more specific area for explorers available this year with more tools, when he secures his first employee to help.

That would have been an interesting job but, sadly, I suspect he couldn't afford me!
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #819 on: 22 January, 2020, 05:28:03 pm »
94km with 1400m climbing today to bag 5 squares....
Cluster up by 15(!) but still stuck at 3x 18 by 18
Will need to about 160km + 2500m climbing to get to 20x20...  :)

Jack_P

• Cycling hobo
« Reply #820 on: 22 January, 2020, 07:25:20 pm »

That would have been an interesting job but, sadly, I suspect he couldn't afford me!

Suspect not, but I guess he's doing ok having signed up 17 of the 19 world tour cycle teams for his route app Which they use in live races and preparation. :thumbsup:

« Reply #821 on: 22 January, 2020, 09:48:31 pm »

You could have gone for a ride on the fun bus.

So many options

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #822 on: 23 January, 2020, 11:29:50 am »
I've been slowly filling in holes this year and increased my cluster from 129 to 211 since December.

Looking at the blank squares between the Dumfries/Bankend Road and the B724 that is one big bog/forest picked up 2 of them this week (the 2 pink ones N and NE of Bankend on the VV screenshot).

Seen this lane into Craig's Moss on the map but have cycled past it a few times and not noticed it.

theresatiletheresomewhere by ian, on Flickr

It would get me just the one tile

itsallbog by ian, on Flickr

The reason I haven't noticed it (drove past it today to investigate) is that it's not as well defined on the ground as it is on the map.

2020-01-23_11-14-22 by ian, on Flickr

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #823 on: 26 January, 2020, 11:44:01 am »
Got my square into double figures at last (10x10) - next target the 2 on the right hand side and the top right corner :)

260120 by ian, on Flickr

« Reply #824 on: 26 January, 2020, 01:55:58 pm »
I did a ridiculously wriggly ride yesterday with the intent of bringing my cluster south as far as Doncaster. I dunno what I was thinking during the planning as I failed, despite 74 new tiles, a great deal of spurs for tiles and a couple of time sapping wades through post-flood mud across fields. :facepalm: