Author Topic: Hooray - back out lying down  (Read 2004 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Hooray - back out lying down
« on: 29 April, 2019, 09:03:33 am »
Finally got my arse in gear and re-chained the M5 after a bit of head scratching to make sure it was going round the right way  ???

6-months between recumbent rides is a long time, and over 12 months since I last rode the M5.  it took a good mile before I'd gotten used to how much more sensitive the steering was vs the S40 or an upwrong.  Didn't go far, just two laps of a 10k local loop, enough to remind me how well this thing shifts downwind, and how sharp the brakes are.  On my second circuit, I had two horses heading towards me with a car slowing down from the same direction to pass us all safely. One of the horses seemed to take great fright either at me or the car behind it and took off - 180 down the verge and past the car.  I applied the anchors sufficiently to leave rubber on the road adn give myself a restart issue as I'd not geared down in time.

only did the two loops as 'bent legs are uncalibrated and wanted to go easy on the back after doing some aggressive back rehab on saturday.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

JennyB

• Old enough to know better
Re: Hooray - back out lying down
« Reply #1 on: 29 April, 2019, 01:19:40 pm »

only did the two loops as 'bent legs are uncalibrated and wanted to go easy on the back after doing some aggressive back rehab on saturday.

Saw the title and wondered why you were so cheery about putting your back out.  ::-)
Jennifer - Walker of hills

ElyDave

« Reply #2 on: 29 April, 2019, 09:42:17 pm »
Ah! I guess it could have looked like that  :)

Phil W

« Reply #3 on: 29 April, 2019, 10:25:47 pm »
What's the state of the S40?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 29 April, 2019, 11:51:15 pm »
Finally got my arse in gear and re-chained the M5 after a bit of head scratching to make sure it was going round the right way  ???

I think we've all made that mistake at some point.  Not actually got as far as trying to ride one while it's like that, but I'm sure it'll happen eventually.

Good to hear you're lying down on the job again, and didn't get eaten by a horse.   :thumbsup:

ElyDave

« Reply #5 on: 01 May, 2019, 07:54:50 am »
What's the state of the S40?

Still on the workstand, I've bought the off the shelf components, waiting for Cruzbike to get back to me on the others. I've been too busy to chase it up.

« Reply #6 on: 01 May, 2019, 08:12:17 am »
On my second circuit, I had two horses heading towards me with a car slowing down from the same direction to pass us all safely. One of the horses seemed to take great fright either at me or the car behind it and took off - 180 down the verge and past the car.

I've had this a few times on Audax jaunts. What starts out as something serene can suddenly turn into something out of the Grand National! It's a pain, but if I'm about to pass horses I'll always call out, slow down and let the riders hopefully get some kind of control, and if they're heading towards me I'll often stop and let the riders go past. I remember Feline OTP telling me it's a kind of sight of something unknown, low, and possibly predatory, that can really freak them out.
Garry Broad

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 01 May, 2019, 11:39:43 am »
I've had this a few times on Audax jaunts. What starts out as something serene can suddenly turn into something out of the Grand National! It's a pain, but if I'm about to pass horses I'll always call out, slow down and let the riders hopefully get some kind of control, and if they're heading towards me I'll often stop and let the riders go past. I remember Feline OTP telling me it's a kind of sight of something unknown, low, and possibly predatory, that can really freak them out.

I think with some (well, about 50% of them) horses 'unknown' is sufficient.

I find that horses are a lot more tolerant of the Streetmachine than they are of the ICE trike or the Baron.  Probably because the riding position is much higher, and if you sit upright it looks enough like a familiar bicycle not to upset them too much unless you have to pedal.

Flags don't help, and neither do BMW drivers spotting the gap between the person freewheeling slowly on the funny bike and the clearly nervous horse and deciding to go for it.   :facepalm:

ElyDave

« Reply #8 on: 01 May, 2019, 04:05:59 pm »
Both riders had seen me, so I assumed all OK and said nothing.  My fault.  The S40 doesn't seem to upset them, again sits a bit higher