Author Topic: Touring bike  (Read 1991 times)

Touring bike
« on: 17 February, 2020, 04:10:05 pm »
I have at the moment a Dawes galaxy 2012 model but thinking of going to a touring bike with disc brakes I do the odd camping trip and been looking at the Kona range the rove or the SUTRA any thoughts

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
Re: Touring bike
« Reply #1 on: 17 February, 2020, 04:30:20 pm »
I have a now-discontinued Kona, the Wheelhouse. https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=111306.0

I've had a terrific time with it, works really well for audax, touring, even a bit of cyclocross racing. From what I can see the Sutra is the more road-ish of the two but they both look great. They're all-steel including the fork though, I really like mine's carbon fork. Have to say I really like the look of this version of the rove, which comes complete with decent looking wheels, posh saddle and bag gubbins plus mudguards all for £2000 which isn't at all bad. https://www.bikester.co.uk/kona-swift-rove-rust-orangeearth-grey-1002557.html

I like my Kona so much that I committed the 'sin' of paying to upgrade the groupo and headset to 105 hydraulic and to a Hope pick'n mix one respectively.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #2 on: 17 February, 2020, 04:41:13 pm »
note of caution; your galaxy may or may not have a nice springy fork. If you get a frameset with disc brakes and a steel fork, the chances are that the fork will be somewhat stiffer than a nice springy fork usually is.

So some folk notice that their nice new bike doesn't ride quite as well as their old one. Other times they don't notice and/or there isn't a big difference because the fork on the rim-braked bike was built strong/stiff anyway.

If you are concerned about this, try to ride old and prospective new  bikes with similar tyres/pressures back to back and compare how they feel.

cheers

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #3 on: 17 February, 2020, 06:45:41 pm »
note of caution; your galaxy may or may not have a nice springy fork. If you get a frameset with disc brakes and a steel fork, the chances are that the fork will be somewhat stiffer than a nice springy fork usually is.

So some folk notice that their nice new bike doesn't ride quite as well as their old one. Other times they don't notice and/or there isn't a big difference because the fork on the rim-braked bike was built strong/stiff anyway.

If you are concerned about this, try to ride old and prospective new  bikes with similar tyres/pressures back to back and compare how they feel.

cheers

AGree about the fork thobbut.     I would say on a conventional tourer of old, ie Bob Jackson,  Mercian, older Gallaxy 531, 708 Randonneur et al,  50% was the thinner , curved tapered fork, and 50% was the slender alloy quill stem, giving the comfort.  Fit a aheadset fork to these, and you've lost a fair bit of comfort. So add in a  disc fork,and its a way off an old tourer.  Maybe a disc fork with a 1" quill would be 1/2 way there, a la Velo Orange Polyvalent.

https://freshtripe.co.uk/velo-orange-polyvalent-frameset-pre-order-10-14-day-lead-time/

« Reply #4 on: 17 February, 2020, 06:59:09 pm »
Love my Surly Disc Trucker

« Reply #5 on: 17 February, 2020, 09:03:41 pm »
What is the widest size tyres can I fit on my Galaxy?

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #6 on: 27 February, 2020, 05:43:37 pm »

I ran 42mm wide Schwalbe Land Cruisers on my 2008 Dawes Horizon, when I visited Skye a few years ago.  I did however take the mudguards off as I was in "gravel" bike mode. 

« Reply #7 on: 05 March, 2020, 11:12:54 pm »

I have schwalbe delta cruiser 622-37s on mine.  I don't think it would take wider with mudguard's fitted

« Reply #8 on: 06 March, 2020, 08:49:37 am »
My wife has a Kona Sutra for 5 years. We’ve been on many tours with it. She loves it.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

« Reply #9 on: 06 March, 2020, 05:16:35 pm »

I have schwalbe delta cruiser 622-37s on mine.  I don't think it would take wider with mudguard's fitted

I've had the same size in Marathons on mine for the last decade.  I put them on for a tour of Albania, which would have a bit of off-road involved, in 2010.  Afterwards, I couldn't be bothered to swap them back to whatever I had before, probably 32s.  And now that they have become fashionable, I won't change them until they wear out!

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #10 on: 06 March, 2020, 07:57:19 pm »

I've had the same size in Marathons on mine for the last decade.  I put them on for a tour of Albania, which would have a bit of off-road involved, in 2010.  Afterwards, I couldn't be bothered to swap them back to whatever I had before, probably 32s.  And now that they have become fashionable, I won't change them until they wear out!

Apparently the 622-37 Marathon Greenguards have lower rolling resistance compared to 622-32 Marathon Greenguards, at least according to  bicyclerollingresistance.com https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/specials/schwalbe-marathon-32-37-40-47