Author Topic: an apology  (Read 21167 times)

ian

Re: an apology
« Reply #175 on: 30 June, 2013, 01:18:52 pm »
For those who didn't manage to keep up. Previously on this thread, perhaps better entitled One Man's Intellectual Journey from Joyce's Finnegans Wake to Dan Brown's Inferno, we've divined a profundity of meaning in cheese-stuffed pizza crusts, and galloped a tussled unicorn through the story of the little sparkly Jesus as told in the Book of Kevin. There were men in tights. There often are, and that can't be helped. Enid Blyton was stabbed in the eye with a fork. There were claims she did it to herself. Harsh and unfair words were uttered about cupcakes. We learned about the economics of  second hand paperback sales and the fact that somewhere out there, a mountainous pile of Da Vinci Codes are waiting to fall on us. Precarious. Was that why Enid did it? Fortunately, we found a hardbitten detective to take up the case. Well, he would, but he's neck-deep in Ford Maddox Ford and sweating words like last night's whisky, so it's going to take a while for him to get on the Enid case. While we were waiting, so much time was spent in the contemplation of freckles, likely the same amount of time it would take a for a lazy cat to stretch itself to infinity. Until, of course, that cat happened to spy Flaubert's parrot on its perch across the room, and snapped us back to a reality in a fury of black fur and green feather. Dumping us in a hard place where a freckle just is a freckle and green eyes are just green, not verdigris pebbles in the pillow of her face, unless of course those green eyes belong to Madame Bovary, and she's not sure. It seems neither are we. We found out that the Louvre pyramid had fewer, or perhaps more panes, of glass than we'd previously believed. There was one fewer when some English chap, probably not in Harris Tweeds, flung a copy of Captain Corelli's Mandolin through one, undoubtedly with the sinuously reflexive arm motion of an Olympian discus thrower completing for the glory of Zeus himself. As a result of this rash yet not entirely undeserved act, somewhere in the bowels of the Louvre, under those enigmatic watchful verdigris eyes of Leonardo's painted lady herself, a museum curator looks down the barrel of a gun. Literally down, it would seem, as he's facing a furious albino midget, who with the roseate glow of his thinning long white hair, cast like a halo in the subdued museum light, might just be the very angel flung from heaven, and cursed to the pit – or at least the basement level of the Louvre, where of course they display Da Vinci's most famous painting – for his sins against paradise. Sins that amounted to the seraphim catching him trying to hide a copy of Angels and Demons under his pillow. Alas, it seems our detective is submerging himself in another glass but the evidence has it that Enid did it to herself. Another copy of Angels and Demons was found nearby. In the Louvre basement a gun is cocked and an albino midget takes aim and squeezes the trigger, slowly. The bullet cuts wide, making a small perfect hole right between those enigmatic painted eyes. The albino midget lies sprawled, the gun arm awry, blood tricking from his scalp. By this head a copy of Captain Corelli's Mandolin flaps open in the draft of the air conditioning.

So that's were we are. Now Ben T and Bledlow are squaring up for the intellectual spat of the decade. We should broadcast this, it's actually even more fun than Martin Amis having an argument with his own reflection.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #176 on: 30 June, 2013, 02:00:53 pm »
^_^
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #177 on: 30 June, 2013, 03:40:38 pm »
^_^

I concur. Plus I think Martin Amis is a shit writer.

citoyen

« Reply #178 on: 30 June, 2013, 04:40:35 pm »
I wanted to make a point about style, and what we mean when we talk about style in this context, and just googled for a particular passage from David Lodge's Small World to illustrate the point. I didn't find the passage I was after but I did find this instead:

http://www.theroundtable.ro/Current/Literary/Enachi_Vasluianu_Luiza_Intratextual_Repetition_Stylistic_Consistency_and_Uniformity_in_Rendering_the_Profile.pdf

Well, I found it interesting anyway. <strokes chin>

citoyen

« Reply #179 on: 30 June, 2013, 04:56:48 pm »
Aha! I've found the passage I was looking for - it's quoted in a Language Log article:
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=3216

You may recall that Language Log was also the source of the diatribe against Dan Brown by Geoffrey Pullum quoted earlier.

I can't be bothered to make the point any more but I do recommend reading the Lodge passage - it's very funny.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #180 on: 30 June, 2013, 05:48:24 pm »
For those who didn't manage to keep up. Previously on this thread, perhaps better entitled One Man's Intellectual Journey from Joyce's Finnegans Wake to Dan Brown's Inferno, we've divined a profundity of meaning in cheese-stuffed pizza crusts, and galloped a tussled unicorn through the story of the little sparkly Jesus as told in the Book of Kevin. There were men in tights. There often are, and that can't be helped. Enid Blyton was stabbed in the eye with a fork. There were claims she did it to herself. Harsh and unfair words were uttered about cupcakes. We learned about the economics of  second hand paperback sales and the fact that somewhere out there, a mountainous pile of Da Vinci Codes are waiting to fall on us. Precarious. Was that why Enid did it? Fortunately, we found a hardbitten detective to take up the case. Well, he would, but he's neck-deep in Ford Maddox Ford and sweating words like last night's whisky, so it's going to take a while for him to get on the Enid case. While we were waiting, so much time was spent in the contemplation of freckles, likely the same amount of time it would take a for a lazy cat to stretch itself to infinity. Until, of course, that cat happened to spy Flaubert's parrot on its perch across the room, and snapped us back to a reality in a fury of black fur and green feather. Dumping us in a hard place where a freckle just is a freckle and green eyes are just green, not verdigris pebbles in the pillow of her face, unless of course those green eyes belong to Madame Bovary, and she's not sure. It seems neither are we. We found out that the Louvre pyramid had fewer, or perhaps more panes, of glass than we'd previously believed. There was one fewer when some English chap, probably not in Harris Tweeds, flung a copy of Captain Corelli's Mandolin through one, undoubtedly with the sinuously reflexive arm motion of an Olympian discus thrower completing for the glory of Zeus himself. As a result of this rash yet not entirely undeserved act, somewhere in the bowels of the Louvre, under those enigmatic watchful verdigris eyes of Leonardo's painted lady herself, a museum curator looks down the barrel of a gun. Literally down, it would seem, as he's facing a furious albino midget, who with the roseate glow of his thinning long white hair, cast like a halo in the subdued museum light, might just be the very angel flung from heaven, and cursed to the pit – or at least the basement level of the Louvre, where of course they display Da Vinci's most famous painting – for his sins against paradise. Sins that amounted to the seraphim catching him trying to hide a copy of Angels and Demons under his pillow. Alas, it seems our detective is submerging himself in another glass but the evidence has it that Enid did it to herself. Another copy of Angels and Demons was found nearby. In the Louvre basement a gun is cocked and an albino midget takes aim and squeezes the trigger, slowly. The bullet cuts wide, making a small perfect hole right between those enigmatic painted eyes. The albino midget lies sprawled, the gun arm awry, blood tricking from his scalp. By this head a copy of Captain Corelli's Mandolin flaps open in the draft of the air conditioning.

So that's were we are. Now Ben T and Bledlow are squaring up for the intellectual spat of the decade. We should broadcast this, it's actually even more fun than Martin Amis having an argument with his own reflection.

Brilliant.

« Reply #181 on: 30 June, 2013, 11:48:02 pm »
I have used saliva successfully when a pump has failed after a faerie visit.

Yawn. You're clutching at straws now. I've not quoted numerous examples of Brown's inappropriate descriptors because I'm damned if I'll subject my brain to more of that twaddle than is easily available online, but as I recall, it was one of the reasons my excursion into his works was so brief...

You mean because it will prove that you've read it ;D

You can't prove you're not a snob without proving yourself a hypocrite in the process. 

And don't claim you read it and didn't enjoy it because if you didn't enjoy it you should have stopped after the da vinci code.

And thus the trolling intent is writ large.

Indeed. Note that he's calling me a liar again. How many times is this now?
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #182 on: 02 July, 2013, 06:28:18 am »
I think we should have a competition...

to write a ride report in the style of Dan Brown.

This ride report is not, as most people believe, just about a bicycle ride.

Audax.

Its Latin name betraying its sinister associations with the Catholic Church, the Caesars (the root of the modern words Kaiser and Czar) and the fagging system in public schools.  A sordid existence of toxic pasties...nights sleeping rough...in desperation, its acolytes had been known to use the hand driers in disabled toilets for warmth.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #183 on: 02 July, 2013, 01:10:42 pm »
I was thinking of a thread for first lines of books in the style of Dan Brown.

How, for example, would he render these?

It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen.

It was love at first sight.

“Take my camel, dear,” said my Aunt Dot, as she climbed down from this animal on her return from High Mass.

As usual, at five o'clock that morning reveille was sounded by by the blows of a hammer on a length of rail hanging up near the staff quarters.

I met my Aunt Augusta for the first time in more than half a century at my mother's funeral.

"What's it going to be then, eh?"

Somewhat to my surprise, I no longer have a copy of one the above, unless it's hiding somewhere.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

citoyen

« Reply #184 on: 02 July, 2013, 02:39:40 pm »
As the eminent literary critic Geoffrey Horringer lay on the ground, breathing in the cold April air while the athletic 43-year-old's blood drained effluently from the wound in Horringer's supine thigh caused by a 9mm round fired from a Glock 17 pistol at a range of approximately 53 metres, soaking the grey wool of the academic titan's vintage Christian Lacroix suit, the 6ft professor, whose paper on "Derrida And The Death Of Reason" had been so well received at the Sorbonne last week, stared at the hands of Horringer's Breitling Superocean 42mm men's diver's watch, and as he mused on that holiday in Jakarta last summer when he'd fully tested its manufacturer's claims to be waterproof to a depth of 7,0000m, the Breitling Superocean watch struck 13.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #185 on: 02 July, 2013, 03:44:08 pm »
Ride Report

The steel door had seen better days. Its once white paint had faded and darked to the colour of rancid butter, dark trails showed at the bottom evidencing poor braking technique. The wooden frame had been half heartedly rubbed down in anticipation of fresh paint that never came. The door rattled up, its guides alternately sticking and freeing themselves.

Wunja marched in and stood in the half darkness considering the various machines that passively waited for him. The tough old hack, its light blue paint bubbling slightly where frame oxides were forming; mismatched transfers confusing its origins, missing parts unreplaced. The galant touring machine; its lustered gunmetal paint still intact despite the many miles it had travelled; the old leather saddle flowed to an organic shape that said "sit on me, I will take care of you". Lastly perched on a shelf was a vision in celeste, oozing italian style, black carbon....

Rats... it took so long to get the bike out, I lost interest in going on a ride
216km from Marsh Gibbon

ian

« Reply #186 on: 02 July, 2013, 07:39:10 pm »
As the eminent literary critic Geoffrey Horringer lay on the ground, his blood draining effluently from the wound in the 43-year-old's athletic thigh caused by a 9mm round fired from a Glock 17 pistol at a range of approximately 53 metres, soaking the grey wool of Horringer's vintage Christian Lacroix suit, the 6ft literary critic, whose paper on "Derrida And The Death Of Reason" had been so well received at the Sorbonne last week, stared at the hands of his Breitling Superocean 42mm men's diver's watch, and as he mused on that holiday in Jakarta last summer when he'd fully tested its manufacturer's claims to be waterproof to a depth of 7,0000m, it struck 13.

See, it's impossible to parody DB without actually becoming DB. It's only takes a few paragraphs before the style becomes difficult to shrug off, and after a chapter, you're smothered like a rack of BBQ ribs in the sticky sauce of DB's prose. Your only escape is to become one with DB. He's taken your soul and he's going to subject it to the torture know as the superfluity of adjectives.

Colleagues will start to dread emails from you with the same fear they'd usually apply to an HMRC demand letter hand-delivered by a clown, and you'll find yourself telling everyone, even and especially the ladies underwear mannequins in M&S, the label of your defiantly non-M&S clothes. Everyone on the 1859 train will know the story of your watch. Yet despite this outward show of confidence, at night you'll cower sleepless and terrified under your pure Egyptian cotton bedsheet, fearing that there might be an angry albino midget in your wardrobe.

Take care people, in a dark place you transport yourselves.

citoyen

« Reply #187 on: 02 July, 2013, 08:04:12 pm »
Colleagues will start to dread emails from you

They do already...

at night you'll cower sleepless and terrified under your pure Egyptian cotton bedsheet, fearing that there might be an angry albino midget in your wardrobe.

Hey, just because it sounds ridiculous, that doesn't mean it isn't true!

I've tweaked my previous post, btw. I knocked it off in haste earlier and felt it wasn't quite right. I'm happy with it now. If happy is the right word.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #188 on: 02 July, 2013, 08:53:00 pm »
Is it a conscious parody of the over-detailed descriptions of American Psycho?

Well, no, of course it isn't.  Dan Brown isn't that smart.  But it is reminiscent of that deliberate fetishisation.
Getting there...

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #189 on: 02 July, 2013, 09:03:38 pm »
I stand by my comments on cupcakes.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #190 on: 02 July, 2013, 10:29:01 pm »
...waterproof to a depth of 7,0000m...

That's very precise in a European sense.

« Reply #191 on: 02 July, 2013, 10:56:20 pm »

I'll stand by your cupcakes.

« Reply #192 on: 02 July, 2013, 11:57:28 pm »
Audax is a lot like a Dan Brown novel, a series of clues leading you on a chase through the country.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #193 on: 03 July, 2013, 06:29:25 am »
I'm waiting for DB's Robert Langdon character to come out of the closet.  He always spends the novels in a life-or-death situation with an impossibly attractive, yet single, female assistant, yet never gets it on with them.

Maybe he already has his pick of Harvard students.  I imagine him spliffing up in a seedy bungalow with them, like Donald Sutherland in "Animal House".  Although a brief glimpse of DS's arse was bad enough - I don't need to see Tom Hanks'.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

LindaG

« Reply #194 on: 03 July, 2013, 01:56:39 pm »
Best thread ever.  I just read it from start to finish and I really am Elling Out  Ell .

FWIW I read DVC. Appalling stuff. Haven't felt the need to see the film.

« Reply #195 on: 03 July, 2013, 02:17:51 pm »
LEL goes suspiciously close to Rosslyn Chapel. Is it merely coincidence that people from around the world are approaching it in such a clandestine manner?

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #196 on: 03 July, 2013, 02:55:17 pm »
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #197 on: 03 July, 2013, 08:50:12 pm »

Ham, you can *have* the cupcakes. All of them.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #198 on: 03 July, 2013, 09:14:25 pm »

Ham, you can *have* the cupcakes. All of them.

Hang on a second - these the ones you EAT ??? Oh.  :(

:demon:

ian

« Reply #199 on: 03 July, 2013, 09:24:50 pm »
Ah, foul calumny. Most surely some cupcakes are mere heretical travesties of the true cupcake, and those who purvey them will eventually find themselves on the down escalator to cake hell where they'll spend the rest of eternity wallowing in a big vat of rancid buttercream, overseen by some diabolical Mr Kipling intent on making things exceedingly unpleasant for them. Cake hell, and your battalions of demonic Battenburgers,  I salute you.

A good cupcake is a marvellous thing. It shouldn't just be sponge on the bottom. It can go two ways. If it's to be plain, then that bottom should be as light and fragrant as an angel's fart. Or if not, the base should be swirled through with slick of night-dark chocolate or other high-grade fondant, the kind of thing men in splendid hats fight wars over.

And then the top. That's where the true majesty begins. A Himalayan peak of frosting should greet you. You should be looking up. That's how much frosting there should be. When you bite into it, the surface of that frosting should lightly break and the smooth innards go right up your nose, like you've just dived into a sugary ocean. You should bite down and claim a little sponge and then reel back, sugar fizzing directly into your brain and making sweet mischief with your neurons. Surf that sugary wave, my giddy little pancreas.

Fairy cakes are for fairies. Stupid little things probably made out of a toe nail clippings and wallpaper paste.