Author Topic: 705/605 update  (Read 3773 times)

gonzo

705/605 update
« on: 25 July, 2008, 11:56:46 am »
It looks like you can now record for more than 12 hours!

Yes it is finally here.

Rev history is here: Garmin: Edge 605/705 Updates & Downloads

More spefically is the 2.3 fixes:

Changes made from version 2.20 to 2.30:
- Removed time limitation from history recording.
- Deleting history through the menu on the device will now also delete the history file from mass storage.
- Fixed issue where averages and calories could accumulate when auto-paused.
- Fixed issue where workout dates could be incorrect on the watch when loaded from the PC.
- Fixed issue where settings were sometimes not saved when GPS was turned off.
- When creating a course, device will no longer show history that does not have track point data.
- Correct issue with repeated auto-pause/resume when starting.
- Fixed issue where routes created in MapSource could have invalid points after being loaded to the Edge.
- Fixed some problems with calculating total ascent.
- Fixed issue with grade being dashed and elevation not changing.
- Added an Entertainment category in POI List.
- Speeded up searching in Find Cities.
- Fixed issue where wheel size was not auto-calibrating.
- Fixed issue where unit does not return to previous screen after route recalculation.
- Added progress bar for software updates.
- Added ability to hit LEFT/RIGHT to toggle between Bike Computer pages and Course Points page.
- Fixed problem with Time to Point display on course data page.
- Allow UP and DOWN to cycle the bottom pane of data on the Course Timer screen.
- Fixed some issues that would allow creating an invalid course that would end as soon as you pressed start.
- Fixed issue where certain languages (Svenska, Magyar, Slovensky) would not work with course compass page.
- Fixed issue where when more than one mapset is installed the unit only searches for addresses on the closest mapset.
- Fixed issue where keyboard would not immediately update when switching modes.
- Improved route recalculation.
- Fixed issue where ?Arriving At...' message does not always show destination.
- Disabled panning on the map displayed on the course timer page.
- Fixed issue where the Course Elevation Profile shows a straight line on long activities.
- Added average power to the lap data in XML.
- Updated many German translations.
- Fixed issue where auto-pause/manual lap causes 0 distance lap.
- Changed zoom levels at which towns and villages appear based on size to help declutter the map.
- Increased the number of calories that can be shown on History Totals page.
- Made some changes to reduce 0 speed reporting when using GSC10.

For those new to the Garmin update process, you will need the WebUpdater to install this. You can find it here:
Garmin: WebUpdater Software Update Collection

Cyklisten

• ... they came from the sea onto the land ...
    • Cyklisten Online
Re: 705/605 update
« Reply #1 on: 25 July, 2008, 12:51:45 pm »
Thanks for the Heads Up!

I have been successfully recording long rides by using the lap function (every 200k or <12hrs whichever comes first) Let's see how it shapes up now.

I note the Grade going blank/freezing has been fixed as well

looks promising  ;D   
Ti små cyklister tog ud på cykeltur ...

SFACC Audax Champion 2010

« Reply #2 on: 25 July, 2008, 12:54:53 pm »
Promising.

How are you two finding battery life +/- use of auxilliary battery packs?

Cyklisten

• Cyklisten Online
« Reply #3 on: 25 July, 2008, 01:12:34 pm »
based on Audax rides
I think the 15hrs  internal only is about right.

so 200k internal only.
300k marginal so used-

a "Minty Boost" USB extender with 2500mA NiH (x2)

400k internal + one set of external
600k internal + 2 sets

so based on that one set per additional 200k

assuming unit is fully charged and externals are attached from the start. I did slip up once (on 600k) and allowed the external and internal to run flat. On replacing the externals, the unit went into external drive mode until it had sufficient charge to operate. Only lost about 5k tho'. There is a substantial bleep when 'external power is lost' but I must have missed it in the howling wind and rain!

« Reply #4 on: 29 July, 2008, 06:15:50 pm »
Since the update, Edge 605, I've been losing the ascent/descent information for the last lap. The route shows up complete in the map window, Garmin Training Centre, and all the other items appear to be complete. Any body else here seeing this loss of data?

Edit: Only difference in operation when last lap is achieved, back at home, I push the start/stop button to stop the timer. All other laps during the ride I turn off the unit when stopped for 11ses/lunch/3ses.

« Reply #5 on: 30 July, 2008, 11:06:39 pm »
Since the update, Edge 605, I've been losing the ascent/descent information for the last lap. The route shows up complete in the map window, Garmin Training Centre, and all the other items appear to be complete. Any body else here seeing this loss of data?

Edit: Only difference in operation when last lap is achieved, back at home, I push the start/stop button to stop the timer. All other laps during the ride I turn off the unit when stopped for 11ses/lunch/3ses.
Seems to be that it loses the ascent/descent data on the last lap regardless of whether the unit is stopped or turned off.

Cyklisten

• Cyklisten Online
« Reply #6 on: 01 August, 2008, 12:49:47 pm »
Hi Del!

I've just been out to test this problem and have not been able to replicate it. Four laps pressing Lap and finishing with Stop. All Data intact including CAD and HR. This was on a 705 but the core system should be the same (it says here!) I don't know what to suggest except calling Garmin. I have done this in the past and they have been very helpful. You might need to reset the unit or even reinstall the update (straw clutching here!)

I was interested to read that you had switched your unit off for elevenses etc. Did you Stop or Power off? I realise this doesn't affect your problem as you said in the second post, just curious. I tend to leave mine on from the sart of the ride until finished. Being an Audaxer, I need to keep an eye on the overall average speed etc.
cheers Andy

« Reply #7 on: 01 August, 2008, 01:02:00 pm »
I was interested to read that you had switched your unit off for elevenses etc. Did you Stop or Power off?
Power off, it's a throw back to the 205 I had when keeping it on would mean it running out of juice near the ends of long rides.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #8 on: 01 August, 2008, 05:59:03 pm »
You might need to reset the unit or even reinstall the update (straw clutching here!)

Is there a known 'factory reset' routine for the 705?  Always worth documenting the undocumented.

I had a 'result!!' when doing this to a malfunctioning Etrex Legend Cx - it wasn't seriously faulty, but had developed an annoying jitter of the map display when stationary or a very low speed.  Been putting up with it for several months.  I tried the 'factory reset' which on this unit is holding down the front button and the page key whilst powering up - bingo it worked, now as good as new.  Of course it also reset all my setup choices - except, bizarrely, the 'Welcome' message - and I had to leave it out in the garden for a while to rebuild its almanac.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Cyklisten

• Cyklisten Online
« Reply #9 on: 02 August, 2008, 01:25:34 am »
You might need to reset the unit or even reinstall the update (straw clutching here!)

Is there a known 'factory reset' routine for the 705?  Always worth documenting the undocumented.

I think I have an email with the info required, but don't hold your breath. From memory, Power button with Lap and Mode held down. there was something similar to this re the 305 which would apparently flatten its battery whilst off. It wasn't off - the screen was blank but the computer was running. A known fault at Garmin and they supplied the cure as above (approx)   

As to documentation, there are a few things I will be trying as mentioned elsewhere (use of courses instead of tracks) and I will report as and when. (sound fx - finger extraction) ;D