Author Topic: Scottish advice  (Read 4361 times)

alfapete

• Oh dear
Scottish advice
« on: 23 March, 2019, 12:27:29 pm »
My wife and I will be spending a holiday in Scotland and would like to do a few days cycling, as well as a good bit of walking. Mrs Alfapete is a regular cyclist but doesn't like hills much.
Can anyone suggest any suitable terrain where the scenery is splendid, the roads quiet but the hills reasonably gentle. We'll do a day of 100km or so with no more than 800m of climbing, and anywhere south of the latitude of Inverness. We're planning for October so the midges should be gone, possibly to be replaced by storms...
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

dod

Re: Scottish advice
« Reply #1 on: 23 March, 2019, 01:38:54 pm »
If you're starting from Inverness then you could head east. NCN1 roughly follows the coast so it's flat, or there are roughly parallel routes to the south of the A96 that get a bit higher and give great views of the Moray Firth and the Cairngorms.

Or there is the loop between Beauly and Glen Affric, it generally follows the river so no major climbing required.

« Reply #2 on: 23 March, 2019, 04:58:39 pm »
Mull, the only serious hill is across the middle. Start from Oban.

« Reply #3 on: 23 March, 2019, 07:43:11 pm »
The only part I really know is the Trossachs, north and west of Stirling. However, there's lots of good riding on B roads and converted railway lines. More varied than it sounds, because some sections of track-bed have been lost, so you divert, in one case onto a switch-back and then minor roads. The climb up over Glen Ogle from the south is very gentle (but a bit steeper on the north side, again because you leave the track-bed). Then there are lakes with minor roads on the opposite side to the A roads that you are probably avoiding. Or ride along Loch Katrine one way, and then take the boat back.

Try looking at the National Cycle Network routes.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #4 on: 23 March, 2019, 10:43:17 pm »
+1 for the suggestion of NCN East of Inverness. Some lovely sections of coastal riding as far as Cullen, including some old railway lines. Recommed dropping into Speybay Visitor Centre (very slightly off the NCN) for cafe and whale watching, but check opening days/hours as it might be seasonal. The plus feature could be the alleged microclimate around the Moray Firth - we went in November and had much better weather than the rest of Scotland it seemed.
Other suggestions are the Caledonia Way between Oban and Fort William which has very significant motor traffic free sections, mostly on good tarmac and isn't generally hilly. Note that the official route between FW and Ballachulish is via the non main road side of Loch Linnhe which requires tying in ferry times from FW. You could also start in Ballachulish and ride to Oban and back (I think that's roughly your stated distance). There is a fairly hilly section right at the end near Oban, although there is also a less hilly non NCN route from Oban which takes a cycle route to Dunbeg then requires use of the rather busy main road to Connel Ferry.
Maybe not what you were thinking about scenically but round the Forth is pretty good. There is mostly decent NCN route along the north side from the bridge to Kincardine and then on to Stirling (we rode this to/from the reunion in November). There is also an NCN route along the south. Have done Grangemouth to South Queensferry (some off roading required!) but not Stirling to Grangemouth, the section which contains the Kelpies.  Could be worth having up your sleeve if the weather in the more "scenic" locations is a bit wild.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: 24 March, 2019, 08:39:50 am »
Isle of Arran - 'Scotland in Miniature' as the tourist board says. Scenery, castles, arts and crafts, local food, ales, whisky etc etc.

When we were living in Ayrshire for a couple of years, it was our go-to destination for cycling and walking. The roads are quiet, plenty of varied scenery - mountains, lower hills and gentle coastal pasture on the west side. Mrs T did her first YH trip there on a 3 speed shopper, luggage in the front basket. Goat Fell is a good climb with great views of surrounding peaks and distant lowland Ayrshire.

Ayrshire CTC had a ride there every year, when the plan was to get the first ferry, circumnavigate the island on the fairly benign coast road and be back in time for the boat back to Ardrossan. Never achieved, as we spent too long in the pub at lunchtime. The 'String Road' through the middle is the only big climb with a cracking straight-ish descent [going W to E] where you might top 50mph ...

If the weather is bad, it's easy to hop over to the opposite, sheltered coast and plenty of indoor touristy things to do if it's really foul. The very mild climate means summer flowers will still be in full bloom in October.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #6 on: 24 March, 2019, 12:30:40 pm »
Some selective memories here!

Arran: the string is a decent climb but the Ross is too, the Bouglie from sannox to Lochranza is also a bit of a climb. The south of the island is lumpy, particularly if you drop to the villages on the coast.
The climb that always catches me out is from Brodick south to Lamlash and whiting Bay. Its not big its just you forget its there!

Mull: the middle road is Salen to Gruline (it bisected the island at the narrow point in the middle) and is pretty flat, Gruline to pen y Gael is a it of a climb but not much, the ben more road is a climb! And is the one I think is being referred to.
There is a reasonable climb from Salen to the roundabout in Tobermory, there is a steep climb any direction out of Tobermory other than the ferry to Kilchoan, but then you've got a bit of a climbey route to Loch Allan from there!
The west coast of mull you don't notice the climbs because they're stunning but you can't miss the climb out of dervaig to the mishnish lochs, or the descent to the glen gorm junction at the back of Tobermory.

If you want proper flat then Tiree is a good shout.

Contary to popular belief Fife is not flat, strathmore and the carse of gowrie are but to link the two is tough climbs.

The "north east" is definitely decent, some interesting things down hills, but otherwise a good mix of flattish and gentle hills around.

What sort of scenery and topography do you want?
Since the gaels are challenging the Welsh on descriptiveness of names you can get a good idea from naming.

A glen is a steep sided valley
A Strath is a big wide open valley
A firth is a fjord, the Tay is steep sided the others not so
A laich is a big flat bit but often corrupted to lake

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #7 on: 24 March, 2019, 12:47:55 pm »
The islands are a good idea if you want quiet roads and nice scenery. Though some of them have been getting a lot busier over the last few years, including Mull and Arran. Can be loads of campervans etc over the summer.

Tiree is nice, not too busy, plenty of great beaches, and yes, it is very flat. Though can be windy, and it is fairly small, limited options for long rides (unless you are going around in circles).
Or maybe Islay. Most of it is fairly flat. And a nice road along Jura as well. Plenty of distilleries if you like that. Check the Washing Machine Post for some ideas. http://www.thewashingmachinepost.net/

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #8 on: 24 March, 2019, 06:58:10 pm »
Thanks for all the thoughts. Now to start planning: I fancy a bit of island hopping so the advice is very helpful.
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #9 on: 24 March, 2019, 08:37:05 pm »
Thanks for all the thoughts. Now to start planning: I fancy a bit of island hopping so the advice is very helpful.
Probably the best island hop is:
Weymms Bay to rothesay
Ride round bute
Cross to cowl and then over to portavadie... Oh I said over yeah there might be a wee climb...
Anyway, sail to Tarbert and then down to kennacraig
Sail to islay, ideally port ellen
Spend time on islay and then get the Wednesday/Saturday sailing to colonsay
Explore for a day or two, then sail into Oban.

Going to kennacraig via Arran and claonaig is also doable

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

« Reply #10 on: 24 March, 2019, 10:13:38 pm »
I’ve just scrolled up to check if I asked about that route. The Wemyss Bay to Islay bit is my plan for getting there. :)
(Arran on the way back.)

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #11 on: 24 March, 2019, 10:39:41 pm »
The Uists are flat, but maybe a longer hop than you were considering!

« Reply #12 on: 29 March, 2019, 10:53:12 am »
I'm going to hijack this as it is pretty close to my question...

Plan A was a day of ferry hopping across Kintyre to Islay, a couple of days there then a day on Arran. A planning failure means that Islay means camping and lots of people, so I'm having a rethink...

My needs are a view, fairly quiet roads, ideally some neolithic sites, nice food and drink rather than cooking myself. A paddle in the sea might be fun, as is a ferry (but not loosing multiple days on boats and trains). Probably 80 to 100km a day. I don't mind a hill, but I'd rather they weren't gratuitous!

I'll be on an ex mountain bike, with panniers and non-skinny tyres so while I'm not looking for mountain biking I'll cheerfully take a byway / cycle path rather than a busy trunk road.

Looking at a large scale map and sustrans routes, Fort William or Oban down the Kintyre Penninsula and then on to Arran as planned feels like it meets those needs.

So, questions:
What's that road like?

Have i missed a more interesting alternative to going down Kintyre?

Any side explorations worth taking, maybe over the Fort William to Oban bit?

Is North to South likely to be much harder into the wind that vice-versa?

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #13 on: 29 March, 2019, 11:00:05 am »
It is well worth taking the ferry from Fort William to the other side of the loch, the road over there is very quiet and scenic, plus you get another bonus ferry at Corran.
Further towards Oban the Port Appin loop is very nice and adds a few km. Just on from there a loop around a loch rather than taking the main road bridge looks attractive but I have not done it.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #14 on: 29 March, 2019, 11:32:25 am »
It is well worth taking the ferry from Fort William to the other side of the loch, the road over there is very quiet and scenic, plus you get another bonus ferry at Corran.
Further towards Oban the Port Appin loop is very nice and adds a few km. Just on from there a loop around a loch rather than taking the main road bridge looks attractive but I have not done it.

There's not much of interest on Loch Creran west of the bridge (now Iv'e said that someone will surely point out something of major interest I've completely missed)
At Port Appin you can get the passenger ferry to Lismore and then ride down the island to get the car ferry to Oban.

« Reply #15 on: 29 March, 2019, 12:16:28 pm »
Agreed about Loch Creran. However it may be the loop around Loch Leven which is meant, which is really rather attractive. Though it is a fairly long detour.

Again agreed about taking the ferry from Fort William. The main road south out of the Fort is not very nice and has far too much traffic. There is a cycle path (well, pavement) for part of it, but you really want to get off it as soon as possible.

There is also a (proper) cycle path (mostly old railway line) between Balachulish and Oban. Though as the road here is quiet it's not essential to take it.

From Oban to Lochgilphead the main road is hilly.

If you are thinking of going all the way down the Mull of Kintyre, it is a long ride without any exceptional scenery. The east coast road is quite pleasant, but not exceptional, and has some steep hills, the west coast road is less interesting.

If you want a really scenic detour, I would suggest going from Fort William along the Ardnamurchan peninsula to Kilchoan, then take the ferry to Tobermory and across Mull to Oban. Alternatively there is a shorter route to Mull via Lochaline, but I've never taken this route.

« Reply #16 on: 29 March, 2019, 01:51:50 pm »
Thanks, all, for the ideas.

I'll probably cross to Arran at Claonaig, rather than be completist about the penninsular if the bottom bit doesn't add much (other than a nod to censorship).

Thr full Ardnamurchan detour does look a bit long, but i wonder if staying on that side to Lochaline and then hopping over to Mull would work.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

« Reply #17 on: 31 March, 2019, 06:14:50 pm »
Then again, I’m unlikely to get to Fort William until getting on for lunchtime and the ferry timetable looks a bit infrequent and tight from the train. (I booked a sleeper to Glasgow when the prices were sensible, to Fort William today is a bit eye watering.) Maybe a day out from Oban would involve less worry that I’ll get there in time :)

« Reply #18 on: 01 April, 2019, 12:00:01 am »
+1for Mull. It’s not totally flat but it is relatively quiet. Most of the cars are sensible about single track roads and the villages are not so far apart . It still needs a bit of self sufficiency . Make sure you have a bit of emergency food though.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #19 on: 01 April, 2019, 09:05:28 pm »
For anyone remembering roads on islands being quiet, ask yourself two things.

1) Have I been since RET was introduced
2) Has the number of ferry sailings increased since I was last there

Unfortunately with two ferries running to Mull during the summer months and RET making the fare from Oban low enough that a Fifer only gets a fright on seeing them rather than waking up in Oban Hospital things are quite a bit busier* than they once were.

* I mean you now have to watch out for two phalanxes of vehicles dashing for the ferry every hour rather than every other hour, and the cafés are at bursting point, the wifey at Fishnish must not get a rest from ranting at people.

« Reply #20 on: 01 April, 2019, 09:44:42 pm »
She loves it really.

Erm, what's RET?

And I'd second Islay as a flat option for mrsalfapete. The hostel at Port Charlotte is ran by a lovely couple who I first met in Rishikesh, of all places.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #22 on: 01 April, 2019, 10:12:28 pm »
RET is a great example of showing how you can, while attempting to make life easier for islanders, just shift the hardship...
They've gone from complaining about the expense of getting on a ferry to complaining about being unable to book a space on the ferry because the cost is no longer putting tourists off.

« Reply #23 on: 06 April, 2019, 10:49:26 am »
I'm a Scotland cycling fan but hill-dodger myself.
I recommend you look at sections of NCN1 between Loch Lomond and Inverness which has a good mix of great scenery whilst avoiding a lot of hills through use of disused rail lines.

Re island hopping - the Bute - Cowan peninsula area is lovely but hilly. Routes via Lismore island also recommended as the island is only moderately hilly whilst being surrounded by stunning seascape and mainland hill/mountain ranges.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #24 on: 06 April, 2019, 10:58:03 am »
Do you not mean NCN7? NCN1 follows the north sea coast and is a very nice ride in itself but without quite such dramatic scenery.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes