Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Arts and Entertainment / Re: What's the last gig you went to see?
« Last post by StuAff on Today at 10:52:59 pm »
Chelsea Wolfe, last night in London. Absolutely sublime gig. If you can get to one of the October tour dates, do.
Good to hear as I'm already booked! I nearly went to that gig, but this week is pretty busy already.

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk
Yup, I haven't got one for the tour because they're all midweek & I'd need to get a day off. But I might try and get one sorted for Brighton…
Freewheeling / Re: Pilgrimage Symposium, 17/Apr/24, London
« Last post by Kim on Today at 10:50:08 pm »
It actually made me think of one of my own favourite (much shorter) rides, which includes a short but steep hill just outside Gloucester. Heading back south, you crest the hill and get your first view of the city, which is dead flat (as well as obviously much, much smaller than London) and I'm still struck how, in 2024, the tallest building is still the cathedral.

That may be a deliberate planning thing, like in that Canterbury that they have now, where the Arch Bish has some sort of veto over large erections and anagrams of "fuck".
Thank you all for the advice.

The lapto is a lenovo g580, the battery does not hold charge and the power lead is damaged so only holps charge in certain positions of the cable.  The cmos battery has been knocked of the motherboard and suspect other issues as the computer works sporadicaly.

Ended up using kali on a usb drive on another low powered machine, with two media readers holding sata drive and moving all the one users data to the fresh drive.

Arts and Entertainment / Re: Radio 4Extra WTF
« Last post by Robh on Today at 10:43:35 pm »
Because I  play the saxophone many folk automatically assume I play jazz.

I don't.

At least, I try not to. I get asked to though and, because I'm nice, I usually comply and play something that many would recognise as being jazzy.

It's terribly boring though. American standards from 30s and 40s. Always: head, sax solo, keys solo, bass solo, drum solo, head. Riddled with clichés.

I prefer free improvisation which doesn't necessarily mean random noise. It can be any style you like.

Anyway, sorry, I don't listen to R4X.
I'd love to hear/learn more about this. Maybe best via PM if that suits you.
Health & Fitness / Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Last post by Kim on Today at 10:37:40 pm »
Yeah, and if you fall and break your arm it'll be a FND broken arm, too.   >:(
« Last post by Kim on Today at 10:35:34 pm »
A classical conductor told me last summer that he wasn't "intelligent enough to enjoy jazz." Actually I can't now remember if he said enjoy, appreciate, understand, like or whatever, but it was that idea. I thought it an odd thing to say. Why do you need to be intelligent to listen to jazz? Or, come to that, any musical genre?

My parents inform me that when I was about 6 months old, I was fascinated by jazz, but would start crying within seconds of hearing bagpipes.  No intelligence needed.
Freewheeling / Re: Elephant in the room
« Last post by Kim on Today at 10:32:56 pm »
I think the trick with FNRTTC, if you’re one of the faster ones; is either dress for and ride easy, or do hill repeats on some hills till the rear makes an appearance.

Yep, I've been known to do both.  Riding towards the back (if not actually TECing) is my preferred approach in cold conditions, as it makes regulating temperature so much easier.  Waymarking is a warm-weather activity.
Health & Fitness / Re: Zoe
« Last post by chrisbainbridge on Today at 10:09:51 pm »
Really interesting. I did Zoe and bought my own glucose monitors off Amazon. People seem to vary massively. I did not see any major spikes but my natural diet is lowish carb, partly because wife is gluten intolerant and partly because I feel meh on high carb diets. So we eat cauliflower mash and celeriac rather than potatoes. Bread is an occasional treat when eating without my wife as she cannot share.

The very low carb diet is perhaps going out of favour for endurance athletes but endurance in most parlance is a 4 hour event not the 14 day TCR type event.
« Last post by nicknack on Today at 10:07:58 pm »
Because I  play the saxophone many folk automatically assume I play jazz.

I don't.

At least, I try not to. I get asked to though and, because I'm nice, I usually comply and play something that many would recognise as being jazzy.

It's terribly boring though. American standards from 30s and 40s. Always: head, sax solo, keys solo, bass solo, drum solo, head. Riddled with clichés.

I prefer free improvisation which doesn't necessarily mean random noise. It can be any style you like.

Anyway, sorry, I don't listen to R4X.
Health & Fitness / Re: Cross Training: Swimming
« Last post by chrisbainbridge on Today at 10:02:47 pm »
The newer Garmin watches have a pool swim option which is really good at counting lengths.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10