Author Topic: ***CoronaBonus***  (Read 64562 times)

Re: ***CoronaBonus***
« Reply #400 on: 22 May, 2020, 11:23:18 pm »
"Ohdear, that's where they buried the bodies..."

I thought it was customary to use organic material as a sub-foundation round the back of the house...

https://twitter.com/forest_fr1ends/status/1263907007427424257
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #401 on: 23 May, 2020, 08:29:28 am »
"Ohdear, that's where they buried the bodies..."

Nah, that's next year when we get the patio round the back of the house sorted. 

Bigger worry (though a problem for the digger men) is whether when pulling out some large tree-stumps along one side they also pull out next door's wall and half of their paving!

Rob

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #404 on: 24 May, 2020, 10:39:29 am »
Cracked open 3 Eggs this morning  to make scrambled eggs ,  all double yolked . Obtained from a coworker , at my only working here because of corona job .
Its More Fun With Three .

« Reply #405 on: 26 May, 2020, 10:53:24 pm »
My audax career helped me understand the news better this week.

LEL introduced me to Barnard Castle.
Audax helped me understand what an incredible feat this was
 https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-asia-india-52795732/india-coronavirus-the-girl-who-cycled-to-save-her-father

« Reply #406 on: 27 May, 2020, 12:22:00 am »
My audax career helped me understand the news better this week.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-asia-india-52795732/india-coronavirus-the-girl-who-cycled-to-save-her-father

That's a wonderful story.       

« Reply #407 on: 27 May, 2020, 08:28:45 am »
Are you saying you 'carried' Greenbank for 1200km?

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #408 on: 01 June, 2020, 02:25:56 pm »
The May with no cars on the road has ended now and traffic is back to normal(ish).  But how great it was to go for a sunny ride and see more bikes about than cars

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #409 on: 04 June, 2020, 10:05:58 am »
Supermarket packs of Chicken Drumsticks and Thigh Joints are down to £1.10 per Kg from about £1.80 before lockdown.
Is this because all the Fried Chicken places are shut?

Our dogs are raw-fed and this is now cheaper than dog food  :o
Everyone's favourite windbreak

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #410 on: 04 June, 2020, 02:32:12 pm »
Eh? KFC has reopened, Miss Millie's never shut. (Arguably it never sold chicken either, but... )
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #411 on: 04 June, 2020, 03:42:29 pm »
Maybe it's just restaurants in general  ???
Everyone's favourite windbreak

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #412 on: 06 June, 2020, 05:15:11 pm »
One good thing of this situation is that I get to wear a mask when I go into a bank.

Another, similar one happened today. I was in a garden centre. My hair hasn't seen a barber for ages and is looking somewhat scruffy, so I tend to hide it under a hat. Today's hat was my Amazon tarp hat. This, for those that don't know, has an air of the wild west about it.  As a makeshift face covering I wore a black buff, folded double and pulled up over my mouth and nose.

I was in the queueueue for the checkout. A Small Boy in front of me turned round. His eyes went wide.
"Are you a cowboy?"
I nodded. 
"Dad, dad, that man's a cowboy!"

It was all Mildly Exciting. 
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #413 on: 06 June, 2020, 05:37:27 pm »
I’m not sure if this is really a coronabonus, but it’s mildly amusing and a useful little run through the events of the past few months. He’s fortunate to have got through it.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/06/ive-been-ill-for-months-but-i-still-dont-know-if-it-is-covid-19

False negative would be my bet.

« Reply #414 on: 06 June, 2020, 05:41:08 pm »
Wildly tangential, but prompted by Tim's post.

We anchored in the lee of Gribbin Head, late one evening in preparation for coming into Charlestown onboard the brig Maria Asumpta.

I was on anchor watch the following morning and as dawn slowly broke a couple of other yachts sharing the anchorage came to life. We were close enough (and it was still enough) that I was able to clearly hear the sound of incredulity and wonderment in the little boy's voice as he proclaimed "Dad, Dad, there's a pirate ship next to us!!"
Rust never sleeps

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #415 on: 06 June, 2020, 06:31:57 pm »
Guild Street, Aberdeen, this Saturday afternoon. Usually nose to tail traffic, polluted and ped unfriendly.

IMG_6157_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #416 on: 06 June, 2020, 06:49:14 pm »

We anchored in the lee of Gribbin Head, late one evening in preparation for coming into Charlestown onboard the brig Maria Asumpta.

I was on anchor watch the following morning and as dawn slowly broke a couple of other yachts sharing the anchorage came to life. We were close enough (and it was still enough) that I was able to clearly hear the sound of incredulity and wonderment in the little boy's voice as he proclaimed "Dad, Dad, there's a pirate ship next to us!!"
Making children bewildered. It's all good. The same Amazon tarp hat had a Small Girl think I was Baden Powell once. We were on the ferry to Brownsea Island at the time and there is a statue of B-P on the quay with a wide brimmed hat, so it's an easy mistake.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #417 on: 06 June, 2020, 07:47:27 pm »
I’m not sure if this is really a coronabonus, but it’s mildly amusing and a useful little run through the events of the past few months. He’s fortunate to have got through it.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/06/ive-been-ill-for-months-but-i-still-dont-know-if-it-is-covid-19

False negative would be my bet.
Respiratory physio. I didn't know that was a thing.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #418 on: 06 June, 2020, 07:49:59 pm »

Making children bewildered. It's all good. The same Amazon tarp hat had a Small Girl think I was Baden Powell once. We were on the ferry to Brownsea Island at the time and there is a statue of B-P on the quay with a wide brimmed hat, so it's an easy mistake.
I'm not quite sure what this Amazon tarp hat looks like nor am I familiar with the appearance of B-P but the words 'wide brimmed hat' make me think of Paddington Bear. Whether Paddington was modelled on Baden-Powell or Lord Tim of Hall, I could't say.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #419 on: 06 June, 2020, 08:30:58 pm »
One good thing of this situation is that I get to wear a mask when I go into a bank.

Another, similar one happened today. I was in a garden centre. My hair hasn't seen a barber for ages and is looking somewhat scruffy, so I tend to hide it under a hat. Today's hat was my Amazon tarp hat. This, for those that don't know, has an air of the wild west about it.  As a makeshift face covering I wore a black buff, folded double and pulled up over my mouth and nose.

I was in the queueueue for the checkout. A Small Boy in front of me turned round. His eyes went wide.
"Are you a cowboy?"
I nodded. 
"Dad, dad, that man's a cowboy!"

It was all Mildly Exciting.

I got halfway through this post and wondered if you were going to get arrested.

Cudzoziemiec

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #421 on: 11 June, 2020, 04:59:42 pm »
There's a marmite shortage. Huzzah!
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #422 on: 11 June, 2020, 05:23:04 pm »
Caused by people drinking less beer, I understand. Which is both huzzah and boo!

« Reply #423 on: 11 June, 2020, 05:34:29 pm »
There's a marmite shortage. Huzzah!

Should I put my spare jar on eBay for £££s ?
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #424 on: 11 June, 2020, 05:40:20 pm »
I'm eating Marmite again, after nearly 20 years of not doing so.
It is simpler than it looks.