Author Topic: Bike packing a thermarest and bivvibag  (Read 3863 times)

Bike packing a thermarest and bivvibag
« on: 03 March, 2016, 07:37:47 am »
I`m a bit stuck on how to ! Currently have a 3 /4 length old thermarest and a Durham designs Goretex type capacious bivvy bag; neither ultra lightweight but neither too weighty and I`m not intending replacing either. Total weight is OK @ 1.2 kg approx

But how to fit them onto drop bars bike ? I can either use my existing Carradice bag with support unit, roll bivvi bag long and strap on eyelets, thermarest inside OR I`d much prefer my Alpkit Koala which would save over 1kg weight but I have no idea then how to pack either of above two items without completely filling it with them alone.

So has anyone used Koala type system and carried bivvi gear with sleep mattress and if so how? Fit a bike rack for bulkier gear ?

thanks  :thumbsup:
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

Re: Bike packing a thermarest and bivvibag
« Reply #2 on: 03 March, 2016, 08:50:50 am »
I can vouch for the Apidura stuff, I've switched all of my stuff over to this. It's very well made and is waterproof, the zips work smoothly too and have pull loops for cold fingers. The fasteners are all very secure too.

The only problem you may encounter is the bar bag putting stress onto exposed front cabling or forcing them onto the frame causing rubs with drops. On one of my bikes I use the blackburn outpost bar bag, it comes with a plastic mounting block like most bar bags and throws the bag away fro the bars and cables. The harness is fairly solid and holds their own supplied bag.

I used an alpkit drybag for months with no issues but it bounced lots off road.
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #3 on: 03 March, 2016, 10:04:56 am »
thanks advice, however how much hand space do barbags leave with drop bars (carbon K wings too) as I very often use the flat tops area for riding . hill climbs
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #4 on: 03 March, 2016, 11:22:38 am »
thanks advice, however how much hand space do barbags leave with drop bars (carbon K wings too) as I very often use the flat tops area for riding . hill climbs
All the barbags I've used mount well clear of the bars, so you can continue using the top part of the bars.

The awkward bit is fitting lights. On one bike I solved this by mounting a cut-off bit of flat bar at the fork crown (using brake bolts). That allowed me to mount two lights and helpfully the bar bag blocked upward glare from the lights.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Chris N

« Reply #5 on: 03 March, 2016, 11:34:44 am »
The bags I linked above all strap tight to the bars so will leave little room for your hands to do anything other than rest on top.  Really they're for flat/MTB bars where your hands will always be well away from the bag anyway.  The Blackburn Outpost bumper mentioned looks like it has a more traditional clamp/spacer arrangement so there will be space for your hands to wrap around the tops.

« Reply #6 on: 03 March, 2016, 11:49:25 am »
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=96256.msg1998202#msg1998202

Can be done on drops too, just make sure the roll length is short enough.

« Reply #7 on: 03 March, 2016, 05:48:18 pm »
The bags I linked above all strap tight to the bars so will leave little room for your hands to do anything other than rest on top.  Really they're for flat/MTB bars where your hands will always be well away from the bag anyway.  The Blackburn Outpost bumper mentioned looks like it has a more traditional clamp/spacer arrangement so there will be space for your hands to wrap around the tops.

mmm thanks all for links / thoughts; having had a little expt today and tried getting thermarest anywhere near drop bars ---a tight squeeze with no hand room on tops, looks like I`m going to end up either with a rear rack with T rest + bivvi strapped to it and a Koala or just shrug shoulders at extra weight etc of a Nelson saddlebag and roll bivvi / t rest as a long thin sausage and   strap on top loops or under lid. And loose 1 kg of body fat weight !!!

« Reply #8 on: 04 March, 2016, 03:29:56 pm »
Fit tri bars and strap bag underneath.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #9 on: 04 March, 2016, 04:54:17 pm »
Fit tri bars and strap bag underneath.

interesting idea would resolve hand space on bars themselves,