Author Topic: Bought any photography stuff today?  (Read 169151 times)

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
Re: Bought any photography stuff today?
« Reply #925 on: 08 February, 2019, 07:41:27 pm »
an 80mm Photography Crystal Lens Ball.

Should be fun to try some woodland photography with this, with the camera focussed on the image reflected into the ball.

Either that, or I can do a Septic Peg impersonation with my crystal ball... ;-)

« Reply #926 on: 08 February, 2019, 09:40:48 pm »
A UHS-II card to feed the new body, as one of its party tricks is using the in-body IS to create a super-resolution image, increasing its native 17.5Mpixel resolution to 40Mp, and image size to 50Mb, I can see that working very well to provide effective "digital zoom". I thought I'd check my existing cards to see the performance, by hitting the multiple shot until it slows through buffering, this on my standard resolution I use which is RAW+ full res jpg, about 17Mb a frame. First, my bog standard SD, a class 4 - 11 images. Next, a branded Class 4 - 12 images. Next moved up to a Lexar U1 Class 10 (so, UHS1) - 16 images and finally a Sandisk U3 (still UHS1, but more so) class 10 - 24 images. Will be interesting to see what the UHS2 achieves.

« Reply #927 on: 12 February, 2019, 09:57:29 pm »
OK, here's the lowdown. First, obv your camera has to be UHS-II compatible to benefit (although I'm going to try the card in a UHS-I camera to see how it goes) as there is a second row of contacts. Then, it seems the camera behaviour changes, too. The exact details will have to wait until ICBA to look at the EXIF, but here is how it seems. I used the OM-5D on fast multi-shot recording RAW+full res jpg. The card is Lexar HCII 1000X (there are faster options, too)

With a normal/UHS-1 card, the camera shoots at around 4- 5 frames a second until it buffers and then it grinds to a halt, pretty much, as above.

With a UHS-II, the camera behaves differently. The first  - 10? - shots are at shutter speed, a completely different and faster sequence than I'm used to, too fast and too close together to count, I'll need to examine EXIF. Then, it drops to about 2-3 frames a second. And carries on, and on.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #928 on: 15 February, 2019, 08:50:35 pm »
A second hand Nikon TC14 teleconverter. That should help with reach on the big lens in bright light. Decided the TC17 or TC20 would be too challenging in less than brilliant light.
Doesn't fit. Exchanged for a sigma one that does. Seems to work fine indoors. Will hopefully try it for real tomorrow.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #929 on: 20 February, 2019, 03:15:55 pm »
Having not posted for a while...

Canon M50 mirrorless (Possibly one of the best buys, and most underrated cameras, out there, especially if you want to make videos)
EF-M 15-45mm IS STM (Kit lens)
EF-M 22mm f/2 "pancake" (I like "pancake" lenses)
Fundamentally it's a bit like a tiny Canon 80D with 4K video, and that's no bad thing.

Then
Viltrox "Speedbooster" M to EF adapter. 
This is a work of witchcraft.  It allows you to mount EF lenses (lovely Canon quality) with only a tiny crop factor (1.1x Full Frame) BUT..... making that lens 1 full stop brighter!!! 
My 85mm f/1.8 is now an equivalent 93mm f/1.2 !!!!!!
My 70-200 f/4 is now a 77-220 f/2.8  ..and so on

I guess there's a trade-off on image quality somewhere, after all it introduces another lens element, but hey, I can't spot it.

I also got the Viltrox EF/EFS adapter.  This is a straight-thru "Extension tube" that just introduces the appropriate gap to the mirrorless sensor.  That gives a 1.6 crop-factor (like any crop sensor) and a reduction in light.  I only got it because it extends the reach of my EF lenses (70-200 becomes 112-320mm) and it was cheap.

Initial testing shows that, especially for videos, the speedbooster gives a bloody lovely full-frame look, with shallow depth of field.  Incredibly cinematic.

I paid about £450 for the M50 kit, from HDEW.  It's not exactly a pocket camera but it's small and very light.  The 22mm f/2 makes it a (big) pocket camera and, the reason I bought the 22mm, a perfect Street Photography camera (35mm focal length equivalent).

My work here is done, I'm Canon'd up to the eyeballs now.  For the first time in years I've stopped looking at HDEW, MPB and other camera shopping sites. 

The Viltrox adapter means that, for £120, I now have access to 5 Canon EF lenses, on top of the 2 native M lenses.  That makes the M50 quite a package.

I'm just glad I'm not into wildlife photography like my father, whose 300mm lens cost more than that little lot alone.

Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #930 on: 22 February, 2019, 12:41:08 pm »
Just picked up a Prinz Mastermatic V for next to nowt.

Seems in decent nick, will run a roll through it and see what it's like. Worst case is that it will look lovely on a shelf.

Some bits about it - https://austerityphoto.co.uk/halina-3000-review-stylish-re-invention-or-outdated-junk/

« Reply #931 on: 06 March, 2019, 03:51:17 pm »
I appear to have bought an Oly Pen PL-8 for £100 with a cracked/faulty screen. And, a replacement screen from China for sub £20.

This was not a good idea, was it?

Thor

• Super-sonnicus idioticus
« Reply #932 on: 26 March, 2019, 08:32:28 pm »
A Fujifilm X-T1, with the 18-55mm lens.  On a deal, "refurbished" from the Fujifilm store.  Indistinguishable from new.  If I like the Fuji system, I might get a newer body later.

It was a day like any other in Ireland, only it wasn't raining

« Reply #933 on: 24 May, 2019, 02:00:23 am »
An Intrepid Mk4 4x5 Camera. Lead time is currently 6 weeks, which gives me time to buy the rest of the accessories I'll need.

« Reply #934 on: 24 May, 2019, 03:03:15 pm »
I'm off on safari again soon and wanted to try something different so I've sold my 100-400 and bought a 300 2.8 mk1.  The bloody thing is massive.  My camera bag now weighs 10kg and my luggage allowance is 15.. I might being doing regular laundry!

« Reply #935 on: 24 May, 2019, 07:54:12 pm »
Nice one!  Your old magic drainpipe is still working miracles for me - with a decent 2x Kenko teleconverter it is quite good at capturing warblers and buntings and cuckoos around here. 

« Reply #936 on: 26 May, 2019, 12:30:40 pm »
went out with the 300 and Jasper yesterday, the depth of field is thin as hell but the blur is quite something!

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #937 on: 06 July, 2019, 10:54:10 pm »
7artisans 7.5mm F2.8 fisheye lens. Less than £100 delivered from China. And feels like a nice solid lump of metal anyway.

Manual focus and manual aperture. But its wide enough, could set it to F8 and get just about everything in focus anyway. Or focus peaking can help if want to be more exact.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #938 on: 08 July, 2019, 09:22:33 am »
^ interesting. I assume that's for micro 4/3?
Pen Pusher

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #939 on: 08 July, 2019, 07:04:29 pm »
Yes, I'm using it on my Lumix G80.
It is also available with mounts for Sony, Canon or Fuji mirrorless. Seems its really an APSC lens, so a bit bigger than a proper Micro 4/3 lens could be. But not too big.

« Reply #940 on: 08 August, 2019, 07:06:38 am »
Finally got all my LF camera bits sorted (Well mostly)

Had my first quick test shoot and all 4 came out actually looking like pictures, much to my surprise

Scan of the contact sheet..didn't want to pay for scanning. I have now bought an old Epson film scanner from Ebay.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #941 on: 08 August, 2019, 08:55:02 am »
Looks great!
It is simpler than it looks.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #942 on: 10 August, 2019, 08:24:19 pm »
Yes, but no.

Passed through mum and dad's on my way back home from Scotland and dropped off the 12V cooler they'd lent me. At the same time picked up a box of discworld books and my dad's old OM10 (i used to have one but sold it >15 years ago).  In the bag was the body, 50mm lens, 30-90mm macro zoom lens, olympus flash, a very old light meter and a few filters including a diffractor.

I'm thinking of having some fun with night sky longer exposures on a tripod, perhaps even with B&W film.

There was also one roll of 200ASA film.  I've not put the film in yet, but familiarising myself with the camera again, reminds me quite how restrictive/painstaking manual focus, single ASA etc was
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #943 on: 10 August, 2019, 08:58:54 pm »
Ordered a 4x5 film development kit. This should greatly reduce the cost of experimenting. For "money shots", I'll still go to the lab. (Which happens to be 4 minutes walk away!!).

I still want to get a filter holder, but they're expensive. Might look into making one myself. (And I also want a 90mm/wide angle lens)

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #944 on: 29 August, 2019, 02:33:50 pm »
Not me, but the lad has just blown his holiday earnings on a Canon 7D MkII and 300mm F4 L :o.
Pen Pusher

« Reply #945 on: 29 August, 2019, 05:55:50 pm »
Very pleased with my £15 eBay arrival today.
Ricoh Auto Half - a clockwork powered half-frame 35mm camera in 'fair' condition.
It appears to work at a very basic level, but I won't be putting a film in it for a couple of weeks.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #946 on: 30 August, 2019, 06:38:54 am »
Got my SP-445 development tank today:
https://shop.stearmanpress.com/collections/photography/products/sp-445-compact-4x5-film-processing-system

And it actually works! Pretty easy to B/W. About 20 minutes total, including 7 minutes of rinsing on it's own.

« Reply #947 on: 30 August, 2019, 07:46:41 am »
And a few hours later:
Unnamed Lake Study - 1 by Jakob Schmidt, on Flickr

Think the cheap film let me down a bit here. This is with the Formapan100, which came with the SP-445 kit. I think with the Ilford FP4, it wouldn't have blown out so badly.
This will be my Large Format Study spot and I'll be back there this weekend, with both some FP4 and Ektar100.

essexian

« Reply #948 on: 26 September, 2019, 10:59:24 am »
A Nikon D5600, my first dSLR camera ever and my first new SLR purchase since Oct 1980. Interesting, from what I remember, the new camera is only just twice the cost of the OM10 purchased all those years back so that not too bad really.

Now need to buy some new lens, filters, a bag, data card, film and the like.  ;D I wonder whether it is worth buying a photo printer and if so, any suggestions of a reasonably priced one (less than a couple of hundred?) gratefully accepted.

« Reply #949 on: 26 September, 2019, 11:23:25 am »
With photo printers, it's the running costs that make it more effective to send them off for printing. However, it is nice to have a printer that is capable of photo quality results, my money has always been on the Epson R series, no idea if they still do them, with genuine Epson inks.  I've got a venerable R360 that sees occasional use and has been doing well for probably 10 years. It's capable of exceptional output, and I have prints on the wall that have been up for 15 years (from its predecessor) which although behind glass show no sign of fade.