Author Topic: GPS question/recommendations  (Read 1952 times)

bobajobrob

GPS question/recommendations
« on: 21 August, 2008, 04:31:58 pm »
A friend asks:

A friend wants to download bike rides from mapmyride.com or bikely.com to a mobile phone so that she can follow a route without stopping to look at a map. Can you recommend a phone (or device) which could do this?

Am I right in thinking bikely.com can export .gpx format and that the Garmin Edge 605 and 705 can read this format? Any recommendations for GPS devices?

Thanks.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
Re: GPS question/recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 21 August, 2008, 04:51:14 pm »
AFAIK this is correct.

eTrex devices are just as good and a bit cheaper (I have the Legend).
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #2 on: 21 August, 2008, 05:03:03 pm »
Hi bobajobrob

Re the "mobile phone", I used to use a mobile for this purpose. Any Windows based mobile can run software and store maps that will allow this (like MemoryMap). I've used an HTC P3300 without much trouble, and it all works well on my current Samsung i780. The latter also uses Google maps which can provide routing. There are probably other phone OS that work too but I don't know anything about them.

However, the problem with using phones for this is the battery life is not sufficient for long rides and the weather and vibration resistance are not really adequate for the reliability you'd want. The HTC had various mounts available that allowed me to mount it to the bars but not all phones do.

Forget it basically.

So it's the "other device" that I'd go for. There's lots of relevant info in this section of the forum if you wade through. I can only really comment on the Etrex Vista HCx: it's a great job, probably better for routing than the 605 / 705, but the latter are better for training purposes, lap times and so forth, and they also permit intregation with heart rates / cadence.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #3 on: 21 August, 2008, 06:06:41 pm »
You can't simply copy a gpx file into an Etrex and get anything meaningful out of it however.
You need software (admittedly some of it is free) to translate it.

The Edge, you can do this (according to the manual).
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll