Author Topic: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)  (Read 2957744 times)

Re: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)
« Reply #22875 on: 19 February, 2021, 03:24:01 pm »
STFU! We are in the middle of a fucking pandemic, nobody, even the "experts" know which way it's going to go, so fucking booking flights and/or holidays ranks up there with "smashing yourself in the face with a cricket bat just to see if it really does hurt" in the stupid stakes.

People booking holidays, sure. Most business travel too. But there's a whole load of people with shitty families-split-across-continents situations that they might have been hoping to do something about.

(Plus I'm still owed money for flights booked in 2019 before Covid was invented)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #22876 on: 19 February, 2021, 03:31:13 pm »
Booking a holiday now is like waiting for a Valentine. You know it isn't going to happen, but you still hope.
It is simpler than it looks.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #22877 on: 19 February, 2021, 03:43:02 pm »
Booking a holiday now is like waiting for a Valentine. You know it isn't going to happen, but you still hope.

This is how you tell me? I know things haven't been great between us recently, but do I mean nothing to you?

Bastard.

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #22878 on: 19 February, 2021, 03:47:22 pm »
 :-*
It is simpler than it looks.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #22879 on: 19 February, 2021, 04:08:03 pm »
STFU! We are in the middle of a fucking pandemic, nobody, even the "experts" know which way it's going to go, so fucking booking flights and/or holidays ranks up there with "smashing yourself in the face with a cricket bat just to see if it really does hurt" in the stupid stakes.

People booking holidays, sure. Most business travel too. But there's a whole load of people with shitty families-split-across-continents situations that they might have been hoping to do something about.

(Plus I'm still owed money for flights booked in 2019 before Covid was invented)

Please don't get me wrong, there are _real_ reasons to travel (ailing family on different continents could be argued to be in that category.  My rant is about those that "need" to go on holiday then bitch about not being able to get their money back on non-refundable tickets.  Imagine their joy when they find that their travel insurance doesn't cover it either!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #22880 on: 19 February, 2021, 04:22:28 pm »
Yeah, I know one person whose brother got back to the UK from Japan 3 days before their dad died (and 4 days after they were told it was terminal illness). That case I have sympathy for in travelling (and required suitable negative covid tests). Most others, I'm somewhat limited in sympathy for.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #22881 on: 24 February, 2021, 02:50:46 pm »
Fucking tradespeople!  >:(

I left you with the key to the wash house so that you could use the water.
That did not give you permission to use anything you found in the building as you saw fit.

That pristine clean unused plastic storage box could have been earmarked for something clean, and now it's all covered in groady wet concrete dust or some other crap.

AND I just went out to chop up the lovely clean dry pallet I had dismembered to make kindling, only to find you have used half of it for god knows what and it is now fucking soaking and covered in the same wet dusty shit.
AAAAAAAH!

>:( >:( >:(
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #22882 on: 24 February, 2021, 04:03:17 pm »
That did not give you permission to use anything you found in the building as you saw fit.

If it isn't nailed down...

And to be honest, even if it is nailed down, they probably have the tools to un-nail it.

Last time we had builders in, we ended up several decent tools and one brand-new wheelbarrow lighter.  >:(
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #22883 on: 24 February, 2021, 07:57:02 pm »
Dear Currently Bed company,
Sending a text message and e-mail saying "sorry your order is delayed" is fine if it's done more than a week before delivery is due.
A week before the delivery due date that you provided the day prior to the "sorry your order is delayed"
A "Sorry your order is taking a wee bit longer because there's been minor delays" would also have been acceptable.

But "Sorry the delivery date we've been telling you will be met for the last 3 months is now not possible and it will be another 3 fucking months" no serious no that's not on.
You certainly knew that you couldn't meet the delivery date when you sent the message yesterday, and the update a month previous was surely close to the point you could have seen it was going to be a problem.

anyway...

E-mail sent back saying "can you send the mattress because this futons I was planning to only use for a month and a half tops is fucking painful)

« Reply #22884 on: 02 March, 2021, 02:22:16 pm »
Trying to transfer my ISA from one provider to another.
Provider B (new one): we can't transfer your funds because there's an error in the balance amount. Please speak to provider A (old one).
Provider A: please speak to provider B to raise a new request with the correct balance amount.
Provider B: please speak to provider A to correct the amount in their details.

I don't think anyone is actually going to help me. Given the miniscule amounts of interest involved , I'm tempted to just stick it under the mattress instead. :facepalm:

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #22885 on: 02 March, 2021, 04:40:16 pm »
Sounds like me trying to transfer a very small, dead AVC fund into my current DC pension. Looks at 20 odd page form. Looks at hundreds of pounds to be transferred for tidyness. Decides not to bother.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ian

« Reply #22886 on: 02 March, 2021, 05:40:54 pm »
I have a US retirement fund. I don't want to contemplate doing anything with that. In US finance and banking it's always 1952.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #22887 on: 05 March, 2021, 02:20:48 pm »
What is the fucking point in having roof insulation that protrudes from the plane of the existing roof as permitted development but the consequential raising of the ridge line require planning permission?  Arsewits.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #22888 on: 05 March, 2021, 08:12:09 pm »
Dear Currently Bed company,
Sending a text message and e-mail saying "sorry your order is delayed" is fine if it's done more than a week before delivery is due.
A week before the delivery due date that you provided the day prior to the "sorry your order is delayed"
A "Sorry your order is taking a wee bit longer because there's been minor delays" would also have been acceptable.

But "Sorry the delivery date we've been telling you will be met for the last 3 months is now not possible and it will be another 3 fucking months" no serious no that's not on.
You certainly knew that you couldn't meet the delivery date when you sent the message yesterday, and the update a month previous was surely close to the point you could have seen it was going to be a problem.

anyway...

E-mail sent back saying "can you send the mattress because this futons I was planning to only use for a month and a half tops is fucking painful)

Customers services got back to me a couple of days later
Translation "sorry about that but we're only retailers we've been shafted by the supplier too"
aye ok fair enough i suppose
"I've passed your e-mail on to see if we can get the mattress sent out"

2 working days later

"I've been passed your e-mail, sorry about our crap supplier being crap"
"I've passed your e-mail on about getting the mattress sent"

2 working days later  (which is now yesterday)

"This is a message of Mr Eejit, can you call us back on our customer services number"

Brr Brr Br Br

Blah blahBlah blahBlah blahBlah blahBlah blahBlah blahBlah blahBlah blahBlah blahBlah blahBlah blahBlah blahBlah blahBlah blahBlah blahBlah blahBlah blahBlah blahBlah blahBlah blahBlah blahBlah blahBlah blahBlah blahBlah blahBlah blahBlah blah

Selection option x for y and z for i and...

Selection option...

Sorry we aren't taking calls just now...

FFS

E-mail back, "I tried calling but can't get through"

So that'll be monday, and I've almost folded in half....

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #22889 on: 08 March, 2021, 01:55:28 pm »
Useless Parcel Services

You collect a parcel on Thursday, from Luton.

You say you will deliver it to North Yorkshire, today (Monday) between 09:45 and 13:45.

Here it is, nearly 14:00 and still no sign, your web site says "09:45 - 13:45" still.

It's not like it's a) important or b) expensive equipment needed for my job. Oh, hang on.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #22890 on: 08 March, 2021, 01:59:34 pm »
Useless Parcel Service messed me around last week too.

Delivery was due on Wednesday but simply didn't show.  Late in the evening the tracking information was updated to say that it would be delivered today.  It was delivered on Friday instead without warning.  Fortunately I was just about to go out for my run.  Another five minutes and they would have missed me and disturbed mllePB who was working.

citoyen

The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)
« Reply #22891 on: 09 March, 2021, 09:02:00 am »
Bloody typical, isn't it? The day I choose to be at my desk early to Get Shit Done, the bloody power goes out... TWICE!

Admittedly it was only briefly both times, but both times meant restarting my computer and re-doing unsaved work. AAARRRRRGGGHHHHH!!!!

ETA: three times now... FFS. At least I didn’t lose any work this time.

« Reply #22892 on: 09 March, 2021, 02:41:29 pm »
That'll be an HV breaker tripping and resetting - until the time it doesn't.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #22893 on: 09 March, 2021, 04:15:21 pm »
I've left Facebook. Again. mainly because of some of the intolerant, ourageous and sometimes racist crap I've been reading from some of my 'friends' after the Hazza and Megs furore. People I know to be lovely IRL just become dreadful when faced with a Daily Mail and a keyboard. I'm no fan of the cult following of this couple; I've yet to hear anything from them that I haven't heard said better and more powerfully by other, less privileged, people, but equally I've heard nothing from them that I find objectionable. Yet, to witness some of the crap on FB (and no doubt in the Press, which I don't read), you'd think they were the Spawn of Satan himself!

I'm not a died-in-the-wool leftie - goodness knows, I have enough problems being tolerated by the Marxist cesspit that is YACF at times* - but some people are just truly horrible under the veneer of civilisation.

*possible overstatement.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #22894 on: 09 March, 2021, 04:21:52 pm »
I logged off my Facebook account 30/12/20 and haven’t been back since. I missed it at first, but we have a family whatApp group for my children and sarah is still on there if any of the wider family post anything of real interest.

In fact, this account on YACF is the only social media account I now use. (Which is probably why you lot get saddled with my angst  ;D) My screen time is still going down, and I’m happier for it.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #22895 on: 09 March, 2021, 04:28:07 pm »
Yeah, I get that. I don't want to cut myself off from the world of my friends, but I need to be more selective of who is included in that category, perhaps. I don't want to spend my life arguing with people, but I don't want to be surrounded by people who think exactly as I do - that's why I enjoy YACF.

citoyen

« Reply #22896 on: 09 March, 2021, 04:41:38 pm »
That'll be an HV breaker tripping and resetting - until the time it doesn't.

According to UK Power Networks, "An underground electricity cable faulted on our high voltage network, causing an area wide power cut."

I'm none the wiser. But they reckoned it was fixed at 10.19, and it hasn't happened again since then.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #22897 on: 09 March, 2021, 04:54:44 pm »
I don't want to spend my life arguing with people, but I don't want to be surrounded by people who think exactly as I do
You're not supposed to post sensible things like that in the Rant thread!
that's why I enjoy YACF.
Or that!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #22898 on: 09 March, 2021, 06:04:04 pm »
... Marxist cesspit ...

Please can that be the rant thread's tag line? Pleeeease?
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #22899 on: 09 March, 2021, 06:25:51 pm »
I don’t know who you lot are who sent me a text purporting to come from Uber.  You may even actually be Uber.  But you can fuck off, because I've never used Uber and almost certainly never will.  Go on, off you fuck.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime