Author Topic: Edinburgh  (Read 16848 times)

RJ

• Droll rat
Re: Edinburgh
« Reply #25 on: 13 November, 2008, 01:25:53 pm »
Arthur's Seat (or Arthur's Arse, as we re-christened it).

Calton Hill

You have to visit the castle, I suppose

Walk up or down the Royal Mile - tacky gift shop city

Outside bet: get the train to North Queensferry over the Forth Bridge and walk back over the road bridge.

RZ's a little unfair.  Up/down the Royal Mile is a must - just keep your eyes above ground floor level:

Old and New Towns of Edinburgh - UNESCO World Heritage Centre

The castle is expensive to get into.  Stop on the esplanade (the big open area in front of the castle) for the view.  At the other end of the Royal Mile, a tour of the parliament is cheaper:  The Scottish Parliament: - Visiting Holyrood - Guided Tours

The Museum of Scotland is fun, even if half of it's being rennovated.  Free entry.  Your challenge:  find the secret snowman in the basement ...

Princes Street is best crossed, rather than walked along. 

North again is/are the Royal Botanic Gardens.

I like the Dean Cemetry and Dean Village.  There's a path along the Water of Leith to Stockbridge (spot the Shallow Grave exteriors).

The National Galleries of Scotland have some nice things.  There's a free bus between them.

Speaking of buses - a £2.50 "day saver" ticket on Lothian Buses is a good-value way to get around.

If you have to get a train out, I'd recommend North Berwick as opposed to Queensferry, unless windy suspension bridges full of traffic are your thing (OK, there's a wide footpath, but biking it's quicker and more fun).

There's a farmers' market every Saturday morning.  Fill up on Stoats porridge.

RB's Embra-based these days, too.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #26 on: 13 November, 2008, 06:28:16 pm »
Did anyone mention Greyfriars Bobby and more importantly, Greyfriars Kirkyard (off Candlemaker Row) - the graves there are spectacular. You can then walk down to Grassmarket, and then up to the Royal Mile, up West Victoria Street

Pubs - Kay's Bar used to be well worth a visit. Map

You can go to Rebus's Oxford bar, just north of Rose Street.

For tiled/Victorin splendour, there is The Cafe Royal, at the John Lewis end of Princes St, and The Central Bar at the bottom of Leith Walk.
For dusty oddness there is The Canny Man's, Morningside Road.

It is simpler than it looks.

Craig

« Reply #27 on: 13 November, 2008, 08:22:18 pm »
and for a proper Edinburgh welcome...

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #28 on: 14 November, 2008, 01:13:32 pm »
and for a proper Edinburgh welcome...

Yep, The Canny Man's, just about the most unfriendly pub in the country.

The Sheep Heid in Duddingston Village is superb. And I'm not just saying that cos it's a 20 minute walk from my house...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #29 on: 14 November, 2008, 01:17:41 pm »
The Sheep Heid in Duddingston Village is superb.

Ah yes.

I've been drunk in there too.  :thumbsup:
It is simpler than it looks.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #30 on: 14 November, 2008, 01:24:14 pm »
Did anyone mention Greyfriars Bobby

It's a statue of a dead dog. It's really not that interesting!

The Kirkyard is lovely though. I used to eat my lunch there in summer when I worked in Victoria Street.

There are lots of ghost walks, tours of the underground parts of the city and sometimes there's a Rebus walk as well, but I don't know if that's still on. If you like zoos, Edinburgh's pretty good, the new chimp enclosure looks great and the penguins ... ah, the penguins... *little moment*
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #31 on: 14 November, 2008, 01:32:54 pm »
Did anyone mention Greyfriars Bobby

It's a statue of a dead dog. It's really not that interesting!

The Kirkyard is lovely though. I used to eat my lunch there in summer when I worked in Victoria Street.

There are lots of ghost walks, tours of the underground parts of the city and sometimes there's a Rebus walk as well, but I don't know if that's still on. If you like zoos, Edinburgh's pretty good, the new chimp enclosure looks great and the penguins ... ah, the penguins... *little moment*

SOD THAT!!!  WHAT'S THE F*CKING NARWHAL ENCLOSURE LIKE??!?!?
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #32 on: 14 November, 2008, 01:34:24 pm »
Not done it myself, but the Mary King's Close tour is supposed to be good (and scary - its haunted apparently)....

[url=http://www.realmarykingsclose.com/]Welcome | The Real Mary King’s Close[/url]

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #33 on: 14 November, 2008, 01:43:44 pm »

You're scaring me.

:-*

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #34 on: 14 November, 2008, 06:02:54 pm »

It's a bit more lively than the celibate narwhal enclosure.

« Reply #35 on: 18 November, 2008, 09:25:50 am »
Thanks for all the advice, folks. So, who would like to suggest a pub to meet up for this Friday (21st) evening? (Caveat: we'll have no transport of our own, and are staying in one of the youth hostels (here, I think)).

:)
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #36 on: 18 November, 2008, 09:44:15 am »
I'd like to come and meet youse. The Pear Tree, on West Nicolson Street? If it's dry it has a lovely beer garden although we'd need to wrap up very warm. The Royal Oak on Infirmary Street? The Maltings on the Pleasance?

« Reply #37 on: 18 November, 2008, 09:53:14 am »
I know nothing of these pubs, nor geography, but if they're nearby and have BEER (nice stuff), then I approve.  :thumbsup:
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #38 on: 18 November, 2008, 10:04:33 am »
There aren't any narwhals.

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #39 on: 18 November, 2008, 01:59:52 pm »
I may struggle to be there in person ...

I'd like to come and meet youse. The Pear Tree, on West Nicolson Street? If it's dry it has a lovely beer garden although we'd need to wrap up very warm. The Royal Oak on Infirmary Street? The Maltings on the Pleasance?
I know nothing of these pubs, nor geography, but if they're nearby and have BEER (nice stuff), then I approve.  :thumbsup:

They're all fairly close.  I can't comment on the beer.  Sandy Bell's on Forrest Road (opposite the museum) is probably a bit small for a crowd, but ticks both Beer and Trad Music boxes.  The Guildford Arms and the Café Royal in West Register St are Proper Pubs with Good Beer and a reasonable amount of room for people.

« Reply #40 on: 18 November, 2008, 03:36:19 pm »
I'm meeting friends later but will definitely pop along for a drink before that, if we can decide on where to go!

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #41 on: 18 November, 2008, 05:08:11 pm »
Will we recognise each other by our copies of Cyclecraft?

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #42 on: 18 November, 2008, 05:11:32 pm »
Well if I make it I'll likely arrive by bike, if that helps. And likely only be able to stay for a couple...  :-[

(which is only really to avoid Ariadne arriving...  :P)

« Reply #43 on: 18 November, 2008, 05:34:19 pm »
Will we recognise each other by our copies of Cyclecraft?

Tim is very clearly a CTC member these days - he has a beard! :o

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #44 on: 18 November, 2008, 05:35:16 pm »
I thought he looked a bit like an anarchist  ;)
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #45 on: 18 November, 2008, 05:38:09 pm »
I thought he looked a bit like an anarchist  ;)

He is not the antichrist!

He's just a very naughty boy...  ;)

Can you tell I'm bored and want to go home? ::-)

Edinburgh - actual location!
« Reply #46 on: 20 November, 2008, 11:16:21 am »
It would appear that I put the wrong location down: we're actually staying here. :-[

Our train gets to Edinburgh at about 3pm tomorrow, so what time would people like to be in a pub (if you fancy meeting two smelly Southern Softies, that is), and which pub would you recommend?  :)

As I said, we're just taking a long weekend to look at your Fair Citie, and do Touristy Things (such as a Pilgrimage to Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op  ;) ).

:)

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #47 on: 20 November, 2008, 11:23:35 am »
Well, still close to the Guildford Arms and Café Royal (see above) - but even closer to Joseph Pearce's which you will be able to see from the front door of your digs.

A slightly ailing child seems likely to prevent play in my case - otherwise an after work pint would have been in order.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #48 on: 20 November, 2008, 01:28:11 pm »
I can be in the pub from 6pm onwards so just let me know when and where.

« Reply #49 on: 20 November, 2008, 01:29:38 pm »
Joseph Pearce's is quite nice these days. I'll make it around 6pm too, and can stay for an hour or so. It'll be good to see you two again - and meet Kirst!