Author Topic: AndrewC's Brief Bowland Bimble..  (Read 4899 times)

AndrewC's Brief Bowland Bimble..
« on: 18 October, 2009, 06:57:13 pm »
I missed Tony's Bowland ride earlier in the year due to a bad neck. Despite a few rides in the area I'd never been over the Trough, usually going North instead towards the Dales. This had to change so..

Saturday - www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=23561 - 60 miles

Left Liverpool approx 12:00 due to much faffing about. Headed through the suburbs to Knowsley where I crossed the East Lancs road (A580). A quiet lane and some farm track led to the Old Coach Road, this was a private road linking Knowsley Hall to Bickerstaffe, it's now abandoned and provides approx 4 miles of traffic free riding on very lumpy tarmac.

From Bickerstaffe I followed mostly quiet lanes through Lathom, Mawdesley and Croston. Then through the suburbs of Leyland to cross the Ribble into Preston.  Rather than negotiate the one way system I walked through the town centre and then rode out towards Grimsargh and Longridge.  The climb over Jeffrey Hill was lovely in the late afternoon light with good views to either side of the ridge. It's an easy climb from this direction but a very steep downhill.

More quiet lanes through Whitewell to Dunsop Bridge where I stopped and bought a pint of milk for breakfast. It was getting dark now, so lights on for the final few miles to Newton.  I did a quick recce of the village then went along a side road to the campsite at Crawshaw Farm.

There appeared to be nobody around at the farm so I pitched the tent, got changed and walked back into the village for some good food and drink(!) at the The Parkers Arms.  A black pudding starter followed by venison pie with veg and cheesy mash! Yum!  The dining area was full so I had a candlelit table to myself in the snug. Very romantic, a pity I was on my own!

A walk back to the campsite and in my sleeping bag by 10:30.  I was the only person on the site so nobody could complain if I snored!

Sunday - bikehike.co.uk - Course Creator - 37 miles

Quite a cool night, my watch said 5C. My sleeping mat must have a leak as it was partially deflated  :( .  Muesli, Maltloaf and Lapsang Souchong for breakfast, then pay at the farm and away by 9:30.

Back through Dunsop Bridge then turn North West through Hareden and Sykes. It was overcast and quite cold, I was sorry I hadn't put socks on, but they don't look good with sandals..

A long, steady climb up to the Trough, lots of cyclists coming the other way, then WHEE!  a nice, fast downhill, with no traffic to worry about ;D

More quiet moorland roads until I crossed the M6 just before Scorton.  I played leapfrog with the motorway for the next few miles before heading Southwest via Broadgreen, Cuddy Hill and Swilbrook before heading back into Preston to get a train back to Liverpool.

A very light pack, just what I could cram into a Carradice Super C saddlebag with the tent on top. A fleece for warmth in the evening. Only a light pertex top, but the weather was OK apart from some light drizzle on Sunday.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
Re: AndrewC's Brief Bowland Bimble..
« Reply #1 on: 19 October, 2009, 09:01:07 am »
That sounds lovely Andrew, I'm jealous. Especially since we spent the weekend driving to Somerset and back for a family 'do'. The only saving grace was that we camped rather than use a B&B, which was nice. I must check out that campsite, it sounds like it could play a part in a nice little escapade in the future. Any piccies?

« Reply #2 on: 19 October, 2009, 09:40:18 am »
Sorry Tony, no pics. I didn't want to take the big SLR and the battery in the compact was flat.  :-(

Campsite was OK once I'd found the single toilet and washbasin.  Not the flattest, but perfectly OK. Maybe a 15 min walk to the pub.

NB - if planning to use the site you'd best check if the pub is open. The barman told me it's closing shortly for a full refurbishment which is expected to take a couple of months.

As an alternative try Slaidburn YHA, one of the old fashioned style and just over the road from the "Hark to Bounty" which does excellent food and beer.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #3 on: 19 October, 2009, 10:11:56 am »
Thanks Andrew.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4 on: 19 October, 2009, 10:13:44 am »
It's a beautiful area, with a variety of different types of riding.  I have to admit that I'd have skipped the dull downstream bit, and started beyond Preston ;D

Glad you had a great trip.  It's just what bikes are for.
Getting there...

« Reply #5 on: 19 October, 2009, 06:24:42 pm »
It's a beautiful area, with a variety of different types of riding.  I have to admit that I'd have skipped the dull downstream bit, and started beyond Preston ;D

Clarion praising Lancashire !!!   What is the world coming to ?  ;D  (And yes, the bit between Liverpool and Preston is a little dull.)

I'm thinking that Slaidburn would be a good spot for a YACF Northern get together. A YHA, the "Hark to Bounty" and the "Riverside Tea Rooms", right in the middle of some beautiful countryside. Easily accessible from the rail links at Preston (West Coast line) or Long Preston to the East.

Something to think about, next spring or summer ?

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #6 on: 19 October, 2009, 06:27:42 pm »

Clarion praising Lancashire !!!   What is the world coming to ?  ;D  (And yes, the bit between Liverpool and Preston is a little dull.)

I'm thinking that Slaidburn would be a good spot for a YACF Northern get together. A YHA, the "Hark to Bounty" and the "Riverside Tea Rooms", right in the middle of some beautiful countryside. Easily accessible from the rail links at Preston (West Coast line) or Long Preston to the East.

Attention everybody: AndrewC has volunteered to organise a northern YACF get together next year.  ;D

I'm sure we would be very interested, and happy to help if you need it.

« Reply #7 on: 19 October, 2009, 06:35:26 pm »
I'm thinking that Slaidburn would be a good spot for a YACF Northern get together.
I'd be up for that. There's some great riding around these parts.

« Reply #8 on: 19 October, 2009, 07:04:34 pm »

Attention everybody: AndrewC has volunteered to organise a northern YACF get together next year.  ;D

I'm sure we would be very interested, and happy to help if you need it.

Git!!   ;D I don't really know the area well enough to organise rides!  Map perusal and multiple recce's may be required!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #9 on: 19 October, 2009, 08:48:45 pm »

Clarion praising Lancashire !!!

*Ahem*  You may not have noticed this at the top of the Trough. 

Close up:

Bowland is ours ;)

But the western side is pretty nice, too.

I'm thinking that, too :)
Getting there...

Steve GT

• Crediamo in te, bici!
« Reply #10 on: 20 October, 2009, 04:49:48 pm »
A Northern YACF get together sounds a grand idea.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #11 on: 21 October, 2009, 10:27:06 pm »

Ho yes !  :thumbsup:

A picture from the top of the Trough (also posted elsewhere) :-

Best weather I've ever seen there.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #12 on: 21 October, 2009, 10:30:21 pm »
First time I went over the Trough it was so foggy I was really lost near Lancaster, just knew I was enjoying the ride.  I was in Dunsop Bridge before I found anything I could identify on a map ;D

I have been up the Trough in bright sunshine several times since (and once in the rain)
Getting there...

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #13 on: 22 October, 2009, 06:53:50 am »
And just to prove that Chocolatebike's experience wasn't a one off:

« Reply #14 on: 22 October, 2009, 12:13:31 pm »
Hmmmm  from Slaidburn, over the Trough and down to Crook of Lune back into High Bentham (nice pub) , climb back to Stocks Resorvoir and down to Slaidburn ?  Or would it be better the other way round ?

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #15 on: 28 October, 2009, 11:36:05 am »
Or over the Cross o Greet from Slaidburn and then back over the Trough from the Northern side ,Ive never done it that way.

Cross O Greet from Slaidburn

looking down towards Bentham

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #16 on: 15 November, 2009, 01:42:45 am »