Author Topic: Camino Test Run  (Read 3070 times)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
Camino Test Run
« on: 16 July, 2012, 02:29:24 pm »
or To Mildnehall and Back Again

This ride report will be done in three sections:
1 the ride report proper, penned during the trip
2 lessons learned and overall reflection
3 photographs

Day One - Outbound
I write this sitting outside Judes Ferry on the banks of the Lark River, drinking a pint of Black Dog.  My garlic mushrooms have just been delivered...

A few weeks ago it struck me it would be a good idea to load up the bike as I plan to do for my Camino, cycle out somewhere at least 100km away from home, camp*, then cycle back the next day.

The usual faffing and doing of things which should have been done the night before meant I left after 09:00.  Still had plenty of time, but earlier would have been better.  An earlier departure would have meant quieter roads (even quieter if I had left at 05:00) but it would have made no difference regarding weather.

The rain was not welcome – or needed – for this trip, but I guess it was good ‘worst case scenario’ practice.  Decided to avoid the more direct home-Woodford-Epping to start.  Big mistake.  The next best route joining the Epping Road at the DunRun petrol station stop turned out to be more up-and-down, but with narrower roads.  During the initial downpours some of my up-hills were also up-stream!  I was actually relieved to get to the Epping Road, and even managed my customary cheer when crossing the M25.  I was amazed by the bumper-to-bumper traffic in Epping.  Made good use of the flexibility of a narrower vehicle to bypass the worst of it.

I must pause as my Frutti di mare pasta has arrived... Lovely!  May consider pudding in a bit, but will definitely have another pint.

From the Epping Road I followed a DunRun-like route, including the Jurek Deviation Diversion to Moreton.  After Moreton I deviated from the usual route and took some quiet – of sometimes grotty – back lanes, rejoining at the Rodings.  From there the plan was to follow the DunRun Route to Finchingfield for lunch, then carry on following my own route.

By Great Bardfield I had enough and stopped in at The Bell Inn for lunch.  Upon arrival I encountered the cook, who graciously let me store my bike in their garage, thereby allowing me to leave bags on my bike.  It’s a pleasant pub, and rather quiet as well.  As I was soaked, started off with a coffee.  A pint of Vixen washed down asparagus & mint soup and pork fillet stuffed with plums and brie with potatoes au gratin and assorted veg.  I had no desire to head back out into the rain, but needs must.

I was cold, almost shivering, but warmed up soon after Finchingfield.  At this point (Charlotte and Julian, look away now) it struck me I could have checked the Asparagus & Strawberries 400 route for ideas.  (OK, it’s safe to look now.)

The rain continued on and off – mostly on – along some pleasant lanes and some less than nice A roads.  The only good bits of the A143 were the Tubby T’s (Day Two) and the RAF Stradishall Memorial.  During WW2 this part of the country must have felt like one continuous airbase.

I passed through Moulton then briefly hit familiar territory in Kennett.  It was odd pressing on and not stopping at the Red Lodge transport café, but my route was taking me through Chippenham (the British ‘Springfield’?) and that close to my destination I thought it best to press on.

It was just after Chippenham I remembered another Audax route I could have referenced – Mildenhall 200 from a few years ago.

Just outside West Row I was warm and dry enough to finally remove my jacket.  It was even sunny!  Although there’s only one proper turn in West Row on the way to the Willows campsite, the road constantly weaves and meanders.  I think it’s to counter-balance the Fen roads just beyond.

The Willows is a great site with friendly owners with a friendly dog – the cat was aloof.  I did enjoy the Union flag bedecked viewing platform overlooking the runway of the US air base.

Though still daylight, the clouds have made it a bit darker and colder, so I shall relocate indoors for another hour or so (plus my pudding) before retiring for the evening.

'Day Two' to follow...
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Andrij

• Андрій
Re: Camino Test Run
« Reply #1 on: 16 July, 2012, 05:30:22 pm »
Day Two - Return
It rained most of the night.  Disappointed – the fly sheet on my fancy light-weight tent is not really waterproof.  Up at 05:00 – decided on more sleep and time for the tent to dry.  Up again after 07:30, packed and on the road before 09:00.

One of the items I was testing on this trip was a GPS tracker.  Near & dear reported it worked well on Day one (it was strapped to my rear rack).  Today I started off with it tucked under my saddle, but received a report that I wasn’t being tracked.  Nice idea, but back on the rack it went.  I don’t plan to carry anything on top of the rack on tour, so this shouldn’t be a problem.

While the under-the-saddle test was taking place I passed the turning for Red Lodge.  This was a mistake.  An even bigger mistake was not having any emergency rations as I couldn’t find an open café anywhere on route.  My saviour was Tubby T’s on the A143, 34km in to the day, a placed clearly favoured by bikers and cyclists judging by their numbers.  (Unbeknownst to me Gareth Rees was one of the cyclists there when I arrived.)  Inside I noticed a ‘thank you’ certificate from AudaxUK, so I knew I was in good hands.  Along with my eggs & beans on toast I bought some emergency Mars bars.

I stopped again at the Bell Inn (see Day One), parked my bike in the garage and relaxed with a pint of Vixen.  It was too soon after my breakfast to have lunch, but considered stopping in Moreton for lunch.

I’ve seen quite a few cyclists today, all friendly and smiley.  Unfortunately the only one heading the same direction as me zoomed by on a climb without so much as a glance.  The roads were also quite busy with bikers, most of whom gave me plenty of room.  The ones who didn’t were terrifying.

Didn’t stop in Moreton, but had my Mars bars along the way.  In Moreton I decided to follow the traditional DunRun route rather than use the reverse of the Jurek Diversion.  Ugh.  It’s a sensible route for a long ride, but I’d much rather spend a short stretch on the A414.

I also decided to use the Epping-Woodford-home route.  Although the roads are fast, their familiar to me and there’s plenty of room (usually).  Also, as it’s mostly downhill I knew I could get a decent speed going (at that point in the trip, about 30kph).

Upon returning home I was pleasantly surprised to see I managed to get a bit of sun.  Also pleased with the 265km for the weekend.

Now I need to upload some photos and write up some reflections and lessons learned.

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #2 on: 18 July, 2012, 05:30:32 pm »
Reflections
The whole point of this trip was the learning experience and the testing of me and my equipment.

Helmet: As mentioned elsewhere, I need a helmet for Spain and decided on buying something decent rather than cheap – ended up with a white Kask10.  I’ve worn it a few times on my commute and must say I much prefer to cycle in a cap.  After two 130km days I was used to it.  I’m fairly certain I’ll wear it during the entire trip.

Jacket: My light PearlIzumi jacket is still surprisingly bright considering it is over 10 years old.  OTOH, it is not waterproof.  I’ve tried re-proofing but it hasn’t worked (but worked with my winter jacket).  Even when it keeps out the water, it was definitely ‘boil in a bag’.  I’m undecided whether or not to replace it before I go.

Bike: Last September I purchased a Hewitt Cheviot SE (my spec) with touring in mind.  I’ve ridden over 3,000km on it before this weekend, including a few 100km+ rides, but never fully laden.  I have used both rear panniers & bar bag.  This weekend saw all four panniers in use.  It’s not the lightest bike around, and it had quite a bit of kit on it, so it was heavy, but I have absolutely no complaints about how it handled.  Even on few occasions I was able to build up some speed it was steady.  Admittedly, there’s nothing in East Anglia to compare to the Pyrenees, but with disc brakes I’m not worried.

Tent: This weekend was my first opportunity to try out my Terra Nova Laser Comp 1-man tent.  Pure gossamer!  It’s light, easy enough to set up (and will get easier with practice) and has sufficient room for my stuff.  The 2g titanium tent pegs are impressive, but I dread to have to use them in rocky ground.  The fly sheet was a real disappointment – it’s not waterproof (it couldn’t have been condensation, right?).  The inner was fine (BTW, a pocket and a lamp hook would have been nice).  The tent mostly dried out after a few hours of early morning sun, and I was able to shake off most of what was left.

Any thoughts on water-proofing the fly sheet?

Camping: My Camino is not a ‘camping trip’ – I plan to stay at gites, hostels and refugios along the way.  The current plan is carry camping equipment ‘just in case’.  This equipment consists of tent (see above), a therm-a-rest pro-lite and sleeping bag (fairly light).  I don’t mind camping per se, actually quite enjoy it.  But at the moment I’m struggling with the decision of whether it is worth taking camping equipment with me.  I could end up using it a lot, a bit, once or never.  I may not reach a decision until the night before I leave.

Tracker: As mentioned up-thread I was testing a SPOT gps tracker.  One buys a unit, then pays a yearly service charge.  What it will save me on text messages alone makes it worthwhile.

The device will track your journey, noting your location every 10 minutes.  This can be viewed on a web page (either public or password protected) which you set up through the service.  It also has a ‘check-in’ function, which allows you to send a custom message to a number of email addresses and phone numbers.  Along with the message is a link to a map showing your location when the message was sent.  There are also “Send Help” and “SOS” buttons.

Performance wasn’t 100% (last check-in took around an hour to reach everyone) and it missed my location a few times along the way.  Then again this was real life, not Hollywood!

I’m not sure I would have bought it just for this trip, but as I plan to return to audaxing it can be justified.

I know my Camino would not be easy, but at the moment I think it will be harder than expected.

Hopefully I’ll get my photos up before the weekend.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3 on: 18 July, 2012, 05:35:40 pm »
Good write up!

FWIW, if you are on O2, they have just changed their overseas(Europe) data pricing, so you can use up to 25M a day for £1.99 (IIRC, on the price, the amount I am definate on).  25M might not sound a lot, but it is more than enough to track you for 24hours using something like GPSTracker (for Android) or other such position loggers.

The time you might run into problems is when trying to use Googlemaps to find a hotel, DNAHIKT!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #4 on: 18 July, 2012, 09:09:29 pm »
Thanks for the comment and the tip - hopefully others will find it useful.  As for me, my phone doesn't even count as 'clever' (Sonim 1st gen).

I can't believe I forgot the most important lesson learned: RELAX!
I'll be on tour, not commuting or 'working' a FNRttC, so I need to change my riding style (aggressive, if not exactly swift).  I must remember to drop down a gear or two, relax and spin.  If I start off the way I rode this weekend I'll burn out by Paris.  I tend to wake up early, so I should make use of the extra and and take things easy.

I've finally uploaded my photographs.  Some silly oaf forgot to take a picture of his tent. :facepalm:  Below is my steed, fully loaded. a few other pics will be scattered about the forum, for the rest check the link above.

« Reply #5 on: 18 July, 2012, 10:04:53 pm »

Camping: My Camino is not a ‘camping trip’ – I plan to stay at gites, hostels and refugios along the way.  The current plan is carry camping equipment ‘just in case’.  This equipment consists of tent (see above), a therm-a-rest pro-lite and sleeping bag (fairly light).  I don’t mind camping per se, actually quite enjoy it.  But at the moment I’m struggling with the decision of whether it is worth taking camping equipment with me.  I could end up using it a lot, a bit, once or never.  I may not reach a decision until the night before I leave.

As posted in the other thread, it's well worth taking as a just-in-case, you'll need the sleeping bag anyway as some of the albergues/refugios will just offer you a mat on the floor of a room in the church. Having your own mat is a bonus if all the mats are taken by walkers. If they are totally full they will find you a place to put a tent up and you can partake in the food and camaraderie.

Don't feel you have to take a helmet for Spain if you don't want to - legally you don't have to wear it in town or on hills, elsewhere, well the camino is pretty remote you're unlikely to see anyone other than other peregrinos.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #6 on: 18 July, 2012, 10:28:24 pm »
Great write-up. We used to run the other pub in West Row.  :(

From your photos:

Pill_boxes_that_look_like_Hitler.com?
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #7 on: 18 July, 2012, 10:41:18 pm »
Great write up, thanks. On the boil-in-bag front, I doubt you can easily get away from that. Even my Gore (now not as waterproof as it was about 6-ish years ago) is still uncomfortable on a summer day, although better than most.

« Reply #8 on: 22 July, 2012, 08:34:24 pm »
Hi Andrij

You may remember me (and Lucy). We met last summer when Becs led a ride in Cambridgeshire...We did the Camino from Bordeaux in May, off-road, but using only albergues along the way. We tried hard to stay at those that are "donativo" (donation) as it is the closest you get to how it used to be in the old good days.

We're slowly but surely writing it up with detailed information, photos etc, if you want to have a look.

http://machacasonwheels.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/touring

Feel free to ask any questions you may have. If it is not in your plans yet, the last stage to Fisterra is well worth it, if not the best of the entire trip.

Buen Camino ;)

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #9 on: 22 July, 2012, 08:40:29 pm »
Gracias!

Yes, I remember you.  Will definitely have a look at your blog before I leave.

Unless I make fantastic time, I won't make it to Fisterra.  There's just not enough time. :(  But I guess this means I'll have to go back. :)

« Reply #10 on: 22 July, 2012, 08:45:37 pm »
Also, in my opinion, the albergues in France are generally much better and authentic than their Spanish counterparts (with some exceptions that we have highlighted on the blog). You probably know this, but once you get to Galicia, the whole thing becomes a bit touristy, so may be best to (wild) camp. Plenty of forested areas, so do not think it should be a big problem.

Having a tent may be a good idea in the summer months as it is in theory the busiest period, especially towards the end. But having a bike, it never is a problem to find a bed for the night, even if you need to ride to the next town on the list.

You can probably push a bit on the flat stages and make up time to get to Fisterra? cannot emphasize enough how great that route is! You'll want to go back anyway, that's for sure ;)

PS: are you doing the Camino Francés right?

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #11 on: 22 July, 2012, 09:32:25 pm »
Yes, Camino Frances.  My route to there is London, Dover, Calais, Amiens, Paris, Orleans, Tours, then Via Turonensis until it meets the Camino Frances.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #12 on: 26 July, 2012, 12:30:33 pm »
wrt your flysheet.It is possible that what you suspect is a leak is actually condensation.The volume of air that you exhale whilst asleep contains a suprising amount of moisture which may condense on the inside of a waterproof flysheet

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #13 on: 28 July, 2012, 11:56:52 am »
It was definitely a leaking seam, because I didn't use the extra pole cover.  The TerraNova website says the following in its description of my tent (my emphasis):
Note: Due to the super light nature of the material used in the tents construction we are unable to factory seal the seams, in a conventional method. However they are positioned and sewn in a way that minimises water penetration and it’s possible to add further protection yourself, with seam sealer, to fully waterproof the tent. A free black pole cover (tied on) is also supplied with the Laser tents to fully waterproof the main seam, add stability, protect the zip and add extra protection to the most exposed part of the tent to UV damage.

As I'm being taught repeatedly recently, I really must RTFM.  ::-)