Author Topic: Up and Down the Lee  (Read 1549 times)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
Up and Down the Lee
« on: 29 June, 2015, 09:06:18 pm »
Like my previous ride, the intended early start didn’t materialise, but not through faffing!  My alarm went off at 04:00 to allow me to hit the waterways by sunrise, though I quickly chose more sleep over cooler temperatures and empty towpaths.  In hindsight, I do recommend an earlier start.

I hopped onto my Hewitt Cheviot and cycled out to Mile End where I picked up the Regent’s Canal down to Limehouse Basin for the proper start as the idea was to ride the entire length of the River Lee Navigation from Limehouse to Hertford and back, taking in a few parallel routes along the way.

I had glorious weather the whole way, and only ended up ever-so-slighty crispy by the end.  Overall the towpaths weren’t too crowded, though the usual culprits were present:
* Runners, more miserable than roadies in Richmond Park, sticking to their right side of the path and never noticing oncoming traffic
* Cyclists, insisting on riding down the middle of often narrow paths – even when passing other cyclist
* Pedestrians, better behaved than usual.

Sounds like a bit of a grumble, but they were far from ruining the ride.  Flowers were in bloom, animals were out grazing, artwork lit up by the sun, people were on their boats enjoying the lovely weather – all in all a lovely day.  In total cycled 111km, with just over a dozen kilometres were to/from the start.

I’ve already posted some photos in various threads, with a few more below.  The entire collection can be found here.

If anyone is interested in riding the Lee please drop me a line.  I will not be organising a proper ride as anything approaching a ‘group’ is awkward – and IMO inconsiderate – on the towpath.

Bow Locks

Gotta live somewhere

Will you walk into my parlour?

Bonus (swing) bridge content

No idea.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Re: Up and Down the Lee
« Reply #1 on: 29 June, 2015, 09:20:29 pm »
Excellent pictoriallish.
Thank you - it looks like you had a great day.

« Reply #2 on: 29 June, 2015, 09:27:18 pm »
On my to do list and have the lea Valley Regional Park brochure in front of me. Sigh.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #3 on: 29 June, 2015, 09:34:31 pm »
Next on the list is Limehouse to Brentford via canals.  It's been ages since I've ridden that route.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4 on: 30 June, 2015, 01:33:07 pm »
Lovely photos.
more miserable than roadies in Richmond Park
I don't know either Richmond Park or its roadies, but that made me smile!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.