Author Topic: RATN 2021  (Read 6189 times)

RATN 2021
« on: 24 March, 2021, 08:49:59 pm »
Let's be optimistic and start a Race around the Netherlands 2021 topic. Still not canceled, supposed to start on May 1.

The website is here: https://www.adventurebikeracing.com/ratn/

Can it take place in May? Obviously travelling to the Netherlands is difficult, so most participants will be living in the Netherlands. The curfew (from 10pm to 4:30am) is a pain in the ass, but good chance it will be lifted by the first of May. And we can still ride solo, sleep in hotels, shops are open and take away is possible everywhere. If they can sort out how to do the bike check and start of the race, then it should be possible. Otherwise, postpone until September like last year?

Anyhow: I'm on the start list and in training (back-to-back 200km days planned for this weekend!). To be honest, I have no idea how to train for these things. I'm generally quite fit and can do properly long rides at any point of the year. My "training plan" is to get some long rides on consecutive days and see if I can handle it. If it goes ahead, then I'll do a DIY600 with full gear as final test.

Geriatricdolan

Re: RATN 2021
« Reply #1 on: 25 March, 2021, 12:32:39 pm »
There is optimism and there is madness.
Seeing how things are going in Europe at the moment, May is madness

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: 25 March, 2021, 03:08:48 pm »
Let's be optimistic and start a Race around the Netherlands 2021 topic. Still not canceled, supposed to start on May 1.

The website is here: https://www.adventurebikeracing.com/ratn/

Can it take place in May? Obviously travelling to the Netherlands is difficult, so most participants will be living in the Netherlands. The curfew (from 10pm to 4:30am) is a pain in the ass, but good chance it will be lifted by the first of May. And we can still ride solo, sleep in hotels, shops are open and take away is possible everywhere. If they can sort out how to do the bike check and start of the race, then it should be possible. Otherwise, postpone until September like last year?

Anyhow: I'm on the start list and in training (back-to-back 200km days planned for this weekend!). To be honest, I have no idea how to train for these things. I'm generally quite fit and can do properly long rides at any point of the year. My "training plan" is to get some long rides on consecutive days and see if I can handle it. If it goes ahead, then I'll do a DIY600 with full gear as final test.

I got an email this morning from dotwatcher asking me to commentate again.

Do you need any advice on cycling in the Netherlands? :p

Don't over do your training. If it does happen on may 1st, that's less than 6 weeks away. You don't want to go in with an injury.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #3 on: 25 March, 2021, 05:44:10 pm »
There is optimism and there is madness.
Seeing how things are going in Europe at the moment, May is madness

I know, I fully expect this to be postponed until later in the year.

Do you need any advice on cycling in the Netherlands? :p

Don't over do your training. If it does happen on may 1st, that's less than 6 weeks away. You don't want to go in with an injury.

Advice is always welcome. With respect to training: it's my usual routine of cycling when I feel like it plus two big weekends. Besides the two consecutive 200's this weekend, I'm aiming for a DIY 600 about three weeks before the race. If the race is postponed, then I will skip the DIY 600.

« Reply #4 on: 26 March, 2021, 06:51:44 pm »
Just received an e-mail, the organizers have chosen madness (to quote Geriatricdolan). Anyone else riding :P

« Reply #5 on: 27 March, 2021, 09:22:48 pm »
I emailed a few weeks ago to say it's not possible for me to attend from the UK & not to bounce me to a future date this time. 

Not heard anything back, but also not heard anything about when it may run running, so I assume i've been silently removed form the start list...

Good luck to all that take part - be that in May, delayed to Sept, or bumped again to 2022..

Geriatricdolan

« Reply #6 on: 28 March, 2021, 11:06:51 am »
Just received an e-mail, the organizers have chosen madness (to quote Geriatricdolan). Anyone else riding :P

There is still a month to go, cases in Holland are increasing rapidly and they will have to lock down pretty soon... they have reported 8800 positives yesterday, which is equivalent to about 40,000 in the UK. When we got to that level, we were in pretty deep shxt...

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #7 on: 28 March, 2021, 11:22:18 am »

There is still a month to go, cases in Holland are increasing rapidly and they will have to lock down pretty soon... they have reported 8800 positives yesterday, which is equivalent to about 40,000 in the UK. When we got to that level, we were in pretty deep shxt...

We already are locked down. We already have a Curfew.

J
--

Geriatricdolan

« Reply #8 on: 28 March, 2021, 11:28:25 am »

We already are locked down. We already have a Curfew.

J

Clearly not locked enough... curfews are a ridiculous idea... we are not in WW2 and there are no German bombers coming after dark. The virus doesn't care what time it is

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #9 on: 28 March, 2021, 11:33:57 am »
Clearly not locked enough... curfews are a ridiculous idea... we are not in WW2 and there are no German bombers coming after dark. The virus doesn't care what time it is

No, but it stops people from mixing so much. Which is the aim. I must admit I find the avondklok really annoying, it's limiting what bike rides I'm doing. But I also find people dying even more annoying, so am happy to obey. I'd quite like them to get the vaccine rolled out a bit faster tho.

J
--

Geriatricdolan

« Reply #10 on: 28 March, 2021, 11:42:20 am »

No, but it stops people from mixing so much. Which is the aim. I must admit I find the avondklok really annoying, it's limiting what bike rides I'm doing. But I also find people dying even more annoying, so am happy to obey. I'd quite like them to get the vaccine rolled out a bit faster tho.

J

Point is that looking at the numbers, I don't see an alternative to further restrictions... it looks pretty dire. I would be very surprised if this event was really going ahead

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #11 on: 28 March, 2021, 01:17:56 pm »
Point is that looking at the numbers, I don't see an alternative to further restrictions... it looks pretty dire. I would be very surprised if this event was really going ahead

I think the way the government are playing it, there won't be further restrictions, but the ones we have will remain in place.

I agree re the event tho.

J
--

« Reply #12 on: 28 March, 2021, 06:28:05 pm »
Each lockdown is less effective, because people are not sticking to the rules (plus that "British" mutation is not helping). For me, it's very simple. I picked a start time on May 1 and unless the restrictions become less severe (in particular no curfew and preferably cafes opening to some extent), I am unlikely to start.

Geriatricdolan

« Reply #13 on: 29 March, 2021, 07:05:12 am »
I don't know where you are based, but the other thing is that as far as I am aware, going abroad from the UK without a valid reason is illegal until May 17th. Obviously, RATN is not a valid reason

« Reply #14 on: 29 March, 2021, 07:51:36 am »
How can it be run if the curfew is still active? It will be reevaluated in mid april but I can't see it being lifted before there is some reversal in the infection level or hospital admissions drop off. Both are unlikely as long as schools are open which is the only measure left they could reverse.

I also cannot believe that the local authority responsible would sanction it anyway.
Regards,

Alan

« Reply #15 on: 29 March, 2021, 09:07:57 am »
I don't know where you are based, but the other thing is that as far as I am aware, going abroad from the UK without a valid reason is illegal until May 17th. Obviously, RATN is not a valid reason

I live in the Netherlands. 

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #16 on: 25 April, 2021, 11:27:43 am »

Been sent a final start list for this race.

There's some conspicuous absences.

Slugbait for one... and Daan...

Looks like it may be Bas' ride to lose.

J
--

« Reply #17 on: 25 April, 2021, 02:58:16 pm »
Yes, in the end it didn't seem like a good idea to participate. The curfew is gone, but cafes and restaurants are (effectively) still closed. That is not ideal for long days on the road. Instead I'm going on a "relaxed" bicycle tour through the Netherlands that week. I'll be back next year. (There were also other considerations but not stuff I feel like sharing on YACF.)

My pick for the win in the pair category is Martijn and Ralph. Their semi-offroad "1000km in 3 days" training ride was very impressive. For the men, Bas is the obvious pick. @QG: I'm curious about your pick for the women's. I don't see anyone with serious ultra race credentials on the list.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #18 on: 01 May, 2021, 08:20:05 pm »

Belatedly, my race preview is up.

https://dotwatcher.cc/race/race-around-the-netherlands-2021

I'm mildly amused by the fact that Bas forgot his front wheel. Gonna be interesting watching him moving through the field.

J
--

« Reply #19 on: 02 May, 2021, 07:40:16 am »
Nice preview, but I have to make one correction. It is not true that "Hotels are also not allowed to serve meals." They are allowed to serve meals, but it's room service only. This is actually an advantage in my view. You don't need to dress (up) for dinner.

The Saturday starters started really fast, but Paul Hesen (among the first to start on Friday) has a good chance to make it to the finish first.

Bapistine Smets is definitely a standout: old steel bike, appears to wear jeans and sneakers. Yet she still did 300km on the first day!

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #20 on: 02 May, 2021, 11:41:55 pm »

Really having to pay a lot of attention to the timing sheets, and do way to much base 60 maths.

Latest update is up.

J
--

« Reply #21 on: 03 May, 2021, 05:58:34 pm »
Good to read the latest update and particularly the pro cyclist, how she is getting on. I’ve always wondered. Bas 1,000km in 36 hours. I can but dream of being anywhere near that. I’m happy with 600km in that time. Paul going 870km before sleep  :o

« Reply #22 on: 05 May, 2021, 06:38:45 am »
And we have a winner: Bas Vlaskamp, 1900km in 91hr 49 min. Absurd. Because he started last, he overtook the entire field except Paul Hesen who finished a couple of hours in front of him.

« Reply #23 on: 05 May, 2021, 01:50:27 pm »
How much did he sleep?

« Reply #24 on: 05 May, 2021, 05:33:50 pm »
One sleep stop in Den Helder, after 1000km.