Author Topic: Oiks shouting stuff at cyclists  (Read 369455 times)

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
Re: Oiks shouting stuff at cyclists
« Reply #1425 on: 12 April, 2021, 05:29:14 pm »
I believe the reply is “We are the f*****g traffic!”
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1426 on: 12 April, 2021, 06:13:36 pm »
Bah, ninja'd by Paul :'(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1427 on: 03 May, 2021, 01:30:44 pm »
"CanIhaveago?  CanIhaveago?  CanIhaveago?  Cunt."

Also a random "Idiot!" from the window of an overtaking car, for no obvious reason.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1428 on: 06 May, 2021, 08:25:03 pm »
Gammon in slowly overtaking small car: "You want to get yourself a helmet and a hi-vis jacket"

He didn't hang around long enough to hear that I've got two of each.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #1429 on: 07 May, 2021, 07:41:25 am »

Also a random "Idiot!" from the window of an overtaking car, for no obvious reason.

The polite reply would be "Kim. How do you do?" They were obviously introducing themself.
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1430 on: 07 May, 2021, 12:29:06 pm »
The problem with the overtaking motorist ones is that even if you can hear them over the car noise, there isn't time for them to hear your witty retort.

« Reply #1431 on: 09 May, 2021, 07:00:05 pm »
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1432 on: 09 May, 2021, 09:48:01 pm »
Today I had "YOUR BOIK IS FOOKIN *SICK*" bellowed at me (it must have been loud for me to hear it) by persons unseen as I proceeded downhill at speeds in excess of R17 towards a sketchy looking manhole cover.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1433 on: 21 May, 2021, 07:47:10 pm »
I was on foot when this happened and I can't work out if the driver was being or genuine, but this is probably the best place for it: I'm walking along a quiet back street when a van emblazoned with the name of a local furniture recycling charity draws up. "Excuse me." "Yeah?" I'm anticipating an obscure street inquiry, but no.
"Has anyone ever told you that God loves you?"
Errrm... "Yeah." Walk away.
"God loves you, do you know that?" he shouts after me.
Can't work out if he was a Jesus freak high on freak and low on Jesus or just... a freak.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #1434 on: 21 May, 2021, 08:01:17 pm »
Reminds me of a sketch in (I think) a Victoria Wood show which had Jim Broadbent knocking on a door and asking a woman, "Would you like to talk to Jesus at all?", to which she replied, "Not today, thank you," and shut the door.

« Reply #1435 on: 05 June, 2021, 07:55:30 am »
A friend of my ex reckons (reckoned, I suppose, given that I heard the story 20-odd years ago) that she was sitting peacefully on the Tube when an apparently normal bloke sitting close to her leaned over.

- "Have you spoken to Jesus recently?"
- "Yes. He warned me about people like you."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1436 on: 08 June, 2021, 08:39:19 pm »
"[INAUDIBLE] YOU FUCKING ARSEHOLE!"

I was having a nice ride up till that point.

« Reply #1437 on: 08 June, 2021, 11:38:25 pm »
It doesn't matter how often it happens, you really never get used to it, do you?  Sorry, Kim.

Jut in case, the rest of you, I've been in Manchester all day.....

« Reply #1438 on: 09 June, 2021, 08:35:12 am »
Kim, That is really shitty. Still, there's no accounting for arseholes, and, once an arsehole, always an arsehole. There's nothing you can do to change that. I suspect you don't need any advice on how to deal with this level of crappiness.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #1439 on: 09 June, 2021, 09:13:10 am »
Two cyclists had passed me whilst I was stopped taking a photo in a country lane. I was on my recumbent.  I set off and half a mile down lane caught them up.  Just as I was about to overtake the man decides to pull out to the right blocking my path.

Me: “Behind you”
Man pulls back into left , behind woman, and then as I’m passing

Man: “Where’s your bell?”
Me: “Where’s your mirror?”

The response only working as I was on my recumbent, which does have a mirror.

Where’s your bell is a pet irritant of mine when it’s perfectly clear they heard your call just fine from behind.

« Reply #1440 on: 10 June, 2021, 06:47:18 pm »
Yes, "where is your bell" is code for "I'm a grumpy old git".  When pedestrians say this to me I tend to stop and discuss with them why I don't use a bell, why talking to people is (to me) more polite and also more effective and safer.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1441 on: 10 June, 2021, 07:03:20 pm »
A friend of my ex reckons (reckoned, I suppose, given that I heard the story 20-odd years ago) that she was sitting peacefully on the Tube when an apparently normal bloke sitting close to her leaned over.

- "Have you spoken to Jesus recently?"
- "Yes. He warned me about people like you."
"No, I've been talking to Phil Collins and he knows I'm right"
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #1442 on: 11 June, 2021, 09:21:10 am »
Two cyclists had passed me whilst I was stopped taking a photo in a country lane. I was on my recumbent.  I set off and half a mile down lane caught them up.  Just as I was about to overtake the man decides to pull out to the right blocking my path.

Me: “Behind you”
Man pulls back into left , behind woman, and then as I’m passing

Man: “Where’s your bell?”
Me: “Where’s your mirror?”

The response only working as I was on my recumbent, which does have a mirror.

Where’s your bell is a pet irritant of mine when it’s perfectly clear they heard your call just fine from behind.

I get similar behaviour usually while hill climbing and almost always while I am riding home from work on the ebike.

I get it must be upsetting to be overtaken on a steep climb by a chap wearing a waistcoat on a cargo bike while you struggle (insert some rapha copy here), but being called a cheater is getting a bit tiring, it's not like we were racing or anything I'm just going home with all my work shit.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #1443 on: 14 June, 2021, 10:56:42 am »
I get it must be upsetting to be overtaken on a steep climb by a chap wearing a waistcoat on a cargo bike while you struggle (insert some rapha copy here), but being called a cheater is getting a bit tiring, it's not like we were racing or anything I'm just going home with all my work shit.
It's not about you, it's me. Telling the e-bikes they're cheating is motivation to keep on taking much-needed exercise on my own (once and future) commute. Sorry if it's audible.
Not especially helpful or mature

« Reply #1444 on: 15 June, 2021, 02:44:39 pm »
I guess proclaiming something as "cheating" depends on the tone used.  Yes, if someone my age uses an e-bike they're cheating, but I mean this in a good natured banter fashion (as really anyone using multiple gears and a freewheel is also cheating ... and I guess to the Penny Farthing and Unicycle riders I am cheating).

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1445 on: 15 June, 2021, 05:11:18 pm »
I guess proclaiming something as "cheating" depends on the tone used.  Yes, if someone my age uses an e-bike they're cheating, but I mean this in a good natured banter fashion (as really anyone using multiple gears and a freewheel is also cheating ... and I guess to the Penny Farthing and Unicycle riders I am cheating).

I believe it was fboab who composed a comprehensive list of things that count as cheating.  Can't find it of course, because the search is shit.

Anyway, the whole point in cycling is cheating...

« Reply #1446 on: 05 July, 2021, 07:48:02 am »
Kids screaming at cyclists out of car windows (presumably driven by their parents). This is now a thing in South Oxfordshire, it seems. 3x times in the last month, previously, I remember it happening only once in the preceding 5 years or so.

I suppose it's technically harmless, but it never fails to startle me. Also suggests a generational encouragement of viewing cyclists as 'fair game' for any kind of jape. That'll be fun when they learn to drive...

« Reply #1447 on: 05 July, 2021, 08:28:26 am »
Does graffiti count as shouting? I'm a little bit horrified how much effort people are willing to put in to their bile. This was nowhere near a footpath.

« Reply #1448 on: 05 July, 2021, 03:10:41 pm »
Fantastic

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #1449 on: 07 July, 2021, 06:54:06 am »
I thought I'd balance the bile with a nice little tale.

The other day I was standing on the pavement next to my bike, waiting for a decent gap to appear, to then walk partially across, hop on and pedal home.  A van did a 3 point turn further down and then drove towards me, and the driver slowed down to ask if there was a chemist nearby.  I told him unfortunately no and he'd have to go into the town centre.  He thanked me and apologised for bothering me.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein