Author Topic: Website strapline  (Read 12614 times)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Re: Website strapline
« Reply #50 on: 14 February, 2012, 03:29:05 pm »
Perhaps with the help of your website you could offer your services directly to charities, Charlotte?  It'll be good for you as well as them, in terms of inspiration and portfolio and reputation building.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #51 on: 16 February, 2012, 12:11:03 pm »
Making city culture

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #52 on: 16 February, 2012, 12:15:51 pm »
Urban portraits

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #53 on: 16 February, 2012, 08:43:43 pm »
Fruitcake you may be, nutty you're not - they're *really* good.  Particularly Urban Portraits. 

Not that much Google Juice for that as a phrase, but it's taken as a domain name - singular and pleural.  I think I'd want the domain names if I was using a two word strapline.  Now, www.cityportraits.com is taken, but it's not being used (it's up for sale in the USA) and the domain's free as a .co.uk.

www.urbanportraiture.com, on the other hand, is free  :D

Urban Portraiture?  I appreciate that portraits has a wider connotation, but you can have portraiture of a place as well as person, no?
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #54 on: 16 February, 2012, 09:21:12 pm »
Portraiture doesn't include buildings really but of course environmental portraiture could and what excites you is photographing edgy people who defy norms - which means people in their contexts.

www.urbanportraits.com is empty. www.urbanportraits.co.uk is registered but there's noone actually using it yet. *Maybe* it's someone who won't get round to using it.

If we're riffing on variations, I reckon we need to have the ideas of people and cities in there.

'Portraiture' carries connotations of establishment. You offset that when you put 'urban' in front. That makes it kind of steam punk actually.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #55 on: 16 February, 2012, 09:36:59 pm »
I would go for something involving the words "bare", "nude" or "naked".  Stay with me here.  It worked for Jamie Oliver.  It draws people in because those words are mildly shocking, but the point is that you are revealing people's character by stripping away their everyday facade, or suit of armour.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #56 on: 17 February, 2012, 08:01:27 am »
'Portraiture' carries connotations of establishment. You offset that when you put 'urban' in front. That makes it kind of steam punk actually.

You're right - it does.  I'm liking it more and more as an idea. 

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

I would go for something involving the words "bare", "nude" or "naked".  Stay with me here.  It worked for Jamie Oliver.  It draws people in because those words are mildly shocking, but the point is that you are revealing people's character by stripping away their everyday facade, or suit of armour.

Yeah, but The Naked Photographer, or variations thereof aren't so much edgy or transgressive - they're just creepy.  You've got to remember that the time-for-images end of the market is saturated with GWCs[1] who just want to shoot same-old photos of girls in (or preferably out of) their pants.

Worse still - there's a whole section of the modelling sites where a lot of the 'professional' trade uses terms like "will shoot at all levels".  Really - it's all a bit grim and seedy.

[1] Guy With Camera
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #57 on: 17 February, 2012, 09:39:57 am »
I really like urban portraiture / urban portraits.  The only tiny worry would be that people who think they want fashion / editorial stuff think you're too far away (even though it's really not)

go for it!

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #58 on: 17 February, 2012, 01:53:03 pm »
Stop reading my strapline and look at my pictures!

Why are you reading this, when there are pictures to look at?

These are two things that spring to mind along the more irreverent lines.

I must say though, that Tim Hall has hit the nail on the head IMO:

What about:

I don't want clients.  I want models, make up artists and people with cool projects to work on.  I want collaborators, not customers.

Wot you said right at the start?

"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart