Author Topic: Stopping smoking: when?  (Read 68084 times)

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
Re: Stopping smoking: when?
« Reply #200 on: 26 February, 2011, 11:46:54 am »
You make it sound like you had no choice in starting to smoke.

Well, certainly not an informed choice. There's nothing that can convey the bliss and the horror of an addiction other than having an addiction.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #201 on: 26 February, 2011, 08:12:43 pm »
A "How I beat Cancer" thread (apt though it may be) would probably blow this thread away in terms of impact.
I'm not sure of that actually; I think some of these stories in this thread have been very admirable and impressive.
I'm not sure either. People don't "beat" cancer because of willpower and determination - it's down to medical treatment and the progress of the disease. Beating an addiction is about willpower and strength and I have every respect for the people who manage it.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #202 on: 26 February, 2011, 08:40:29 pm »
A "How I beat Cancer" thread (apt though it may be) would probably blow this thread away in terms of impact.
I'm not sure of that actually; I think some of these stories in this thread have been very admirable and impressive.
I'm not sure either. People don't "beat" cancer because of willpower and determination - it's down to medical treatment and the progress of the disease. Beating an addiction is about willpower and strength and I have every respect for the people who manage it.
Well I'm not sure that's 100% true, I think that willpower and determination can make a difference to cancer outcomes, perhaps in resuming normal life sooner and being less invalidish. But I still think that the willpower involved in stopping smoking is very notable.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #203 on: 15 August, 2012, 05:01:59 pm »
I've given up smoking (again).  My last fag was 11.05 p.m. on Tuesday 7 August.

I had hypnotherapy on Wednesday 8 August and so far I'm doing fine.  No cravings or urges - and no patches or gum either.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #204 on: 15 August, 2012, 05:25:52 pm »
Well done! :thumbsup:
Getting there...

John Henry

« Reply #205 on: 15 August, 2012, 05:28:16 pm »
No cravings or urges

What, none at all, or just none for cigs?

Well done and good luck.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #206 on: 15 August, 2012, 05:31:31 pm »
If you keep it up till Mildenhall, I promise not to take the piss out of your palanquin! ;)
Getting there...

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #207 on: 15 August, 2012, 05:38:28 pm »
Will Kirst be showing you her tits?  :-\

Well done, matey.  :thumbsup:
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Regulator

« Reply #208 on: 15 August, 2012, 08:17:31 pm »
No cravings or urges

What, none at all, or just none for cigs?

Well done and good luck.

Mr R's a little pissed off....  ;) ;D

If you keep it up till Mildenhall, I promise not to take the piss out of your palanquin! ;)

Priscilla will not be joining us, as I shall be off on tour from Mildenhall.

Green Party Councillor

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #209 on: 15 August, 2012, 08:57:05 pm »
Priscilla's lack of presence would not inhibit my outpouring of ridicule ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #210 on: 16 August, 2012, 12:41:41 pm »
I decided to give up smoking when my father, a spritely old man died from cancer due to smoking 20  Capstan full strength cigs every day and latterly Senior Service when they stopped selling Capstan. During chemotherapy treatment, his appearance changed from being an active smart guy to a total physical wreck which made me very sad and near to tears. After his funeral I continued to smoke until I started to have regular chest pains. That was the incentive I needed. I switched to pipe smoking (no inhaling) for perhaps two years and finally stopped when I had a lousy cold. I don't miss the fags one little bit and do get rather annoyed if someone is smoking near to me making me appreciate how other people felt when I was a smoker.

Give up Sarge - you will never regret it but you will if you don't :smug:
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

« Reply #211 on: 24 September, 2012, 03:44:36 pm »
I think I am at the stage where I can either stop soon or I might as well carry on for the rest of my days.

So, fast forward 4 years  ::-)

I am now smoking e-cigs (just the Matchless disposables) with Drum rollies on standby (I've always preferred rollies anyway. Drum's new additive-free stuff is very nice indeed). I've made a decision not to buy any more "normal" fags, as a possible prelude to a give-up attempt.

« Reply #212 on: 24 September, 2012, 06:12:43 pm »
If you're ever tempted to smoke again, please re-read my earlier post
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #213 on: 26 September, 2012, 10:58:27 pm »
Nice one Sarge! 
Are you happy with the disposables? They do seem a bit of an expense still so how about looking at a basic refillable kit?
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #214 on: 27 September, 2012, 08:46:43 pm »
Hi PD

I'm not all that keen on the e-cig. The one I tried is the Matchless, which seems pretty well reviewed. I have a few issues:

1. the ethylene glycol content. From my brief reading of the subject, the long term effects of inhaling this are unknown. Ever since I read that this is one of the ingredients, I have had a faint smell/taste of antifreeze or similar when using the e-cig. I appreciate that the possible harmful effect of the e-cig is much much less than that of cigarettes but nevertheless I am not sure that inhaling this stuff is the way I want to go.

2. Using the e-cig makes me feel just very very mildly ill, with a slight sense of some physiological effect that is different from the effect of smoking cigarettes. I don't really like that.

3. I am not convinced that it is delivering an effective dose of nicotine. I noted some research that showed that the nicotine levels in users' blood was often negligible, so the value of the e-cig lies elsewhere (the act of inhaling, "throat hit", etc).

4. Using the e-cig has made me realise that I do not actually have a strong need to inhale smoke, or to be doing something with my hands, so those benefits of the e-cig don't apply to me.

Overall, I don't think this is for me. I need to stop them entirely.

Regulator

« Reply #215 on: 08 October, 2012, 10:57:34 pm »
Two months fag free today.   :smug:

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #216 on: 08 October, 2012, 10:59:32 pm »
Good man Greg!

I'm failing to feel the motivation :-(

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #217 on: 09 October, 2012, 06:47:07 am »
Well done, Regulator!
Getting there...

Chris S

« Reply #218 on: 09 October, 2012, 10:36:27 am »
Two months fag free today.   :smug:

Tremendous  :)

walterrichmand

« Reply #219 on: 03 March, 2013, 12:02:18 pm »
If you have approach to the tip where you completed a cognizant decision to finally give up smoking, you will get it hard at first. You should set a date in the near future when you will stop otherwise eat your favorite food when you think about smoking.

« Reply #220 on: 26 June, 2013, 05:24:05 pm »
Finally going to give it a crack. Chucked the fags, lighter, etc. in a bin earlier. A bin outside Charing Cross Hospital, in fact.

Nicorette lozenges on stand-by.

Chris S

« Reply #221 on: 26 June, 2013, 05:30:00 pm »
Finally going to give it a crack. Chucked the fags, lighter, etc. in a bin earlier. A bin outside Charing Cross Hospital, in fact.

Nicorette lozenges on stand-by.

:thumbsup:.

One day at a time - it's a process, not an event.

Have some diversions ready for when the cravings come. I had lots - mouthwash, go for a walk, have a shower - generally things I didn't associate with smoking.

You'll be fine.

« Reply #222 on: 26 June, 2013, 05:36:25 pm »
Feels very weird. But there'll never be a better time and I'm sick of it. Don't want to be a slave to it any more.

« Reply #223 on: 26 June, 2013, 05:45:22 pm »
Good luck. I swapped to diet coke as my substitute. Never kicked that habit but I think its the lesser of 2 evils.

The first week is the worst. Just do it, you'll be fine.

« Reply #224 on: 26 June, 2013, 06:07:01 pm »
+1 to the first week thing. You only have to distract yourself for about 10 minutes each time, it mostly goes after that.
And stop hanging about with smokers, with their tempting packets.