Author Topic: All about Fish & Chips...  (Read 1323 times)

All about Fish & Chips...
« on: 04 April, 2024, 02:44:48 pm »
That iconic British meal*...

...seemed somewhat sad (before starting to eat) when I had it in a pub recently, for £17 as it happens.

F&Cs by ao, on Flickr

What do you notice?   

[ Not thinking about mushy greens particularly; this was one of the rare occasions I opted for them.]

*dietary variations & preferences allowing

edit

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: All about Fish & Chips...
« Reply #1 on: 04 April, 2024, 03:04:50 pm »
Not many chips. Not many at all. Unless you've already eaten most of them.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2 on: 04 April, 2024, 03:11:49 pm »
Not much fish either. We usually get almost twice as large in the places we go, for about £15. Toffs in Muswell Hill, or Three Horseshoes in Towersey, near Thame.

« Reply #3 on: 04 April, 2024, 03:15:34 pm »
The small bowl with the tartar sauce is chipped. Only 15 chips on the plate (unless some are
hidden underneath the fish).

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4 on: 04 April, 2024, 03:29:51 pm »
Seriously unimpressive portion size and price!
We had a HUGE piece of chicken (maybe at least triple the size of that fish), with a portion of spaghetti, for a similar price, when we had our Pollo Milanese, near Waterloo Station in That London, last night.
D and I both finished our meals and subsequent desserts.
We eat like cyclists...

« Reply #5 on: 04 April, 2024, 03:31:21 pm »
Not much fish either. We usually get almost twice as large in the places we go, for about £15. Toffs in Muswell Hill, or Three Horseshoes in Towersey, near Thame.

Yes [My bold] funny you should say that...   The cod had apparently been cut in half, prior to battering.  You can see the straight fish edge on the right hand side.

It tasted nice, but call me old fashioned, or whatever, but I kind of expect to have a whole piece of fish served.

« Reply #6 on: 04 April, 2024, 03:34:11 pm »
Not many chips. Not many at all. Unless you've already eaten most of them.

Hadn't started eating.  Agreed - chips were pretty sparse.

I'm not a mushy pea connoisseur by any stretch, but they look like they be scraped off the bottom of the pan.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7 on: 04 April, 2024, 04:23:14 pm »
I had a similar sized ration of Mushy Pea at The Kanteen in Brent Cross Torture Chamber earlier this year.
The fish and chip portion sizes were considerably more generous.
Kosher eateries have come a LONG way since I was a nipper, which is good.
They used to be an embarrassment and were, deservedly the butt of jokes.

The Mariner in New Quay does a good line in fish and chips. Took me 26 years to complete my Unfinished Business there.

« Reply #8 on: 04 April, 2024, 04:39:00 pm »
The Mariner in New Quay does a good line in fish and chips. Took me 26 years to complete my Unfinished Business there.

Soon to be followed by the productive sicky burp known as 'Synod's regret'.

« Reply #9 on: 04 April, 2024, 04:47:14 pm »

Yes [My bold] funny you should say that...   The cod had apparently been cut in half, prior to battering.  You can see the straight fish edge on the right hand side.

It tasted nice, but call me old fashioned, or whatever, but I kind of expect to have a whole piece of fish served.

So you're saying it's a piece of cod which passeth all understanding?  :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #10 on: 04 April, 2024, 04:54:40 pm »

I deliberately withheld from fish & chips in 1996.
I returned with three friends, in their car, in 2022.

We had fish & chips, with TEA, for all of us for £40.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #11 on: 04 April, 2024, 04:58:47 pm »
Our local chip shop does "specials", formerly known as "pensioner specials" which are about half the size of normal fish & chips. They are big enough for Jan and me. However, the normal sized fish & chips was £10.30 when I bought some last week. The "specials" are between £6 and £7 so Jan and I share the one portion and save ourselves about £3.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #12 on: 04 April, 2024, 05:12:25 pm »

I deliberately withheld from fish & chips in 1996.
I returned with three friends, in their car, in 2022.

We had fish & chips, with TEA, for all of us for £40.

Custard slice for pudding?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #13 on: 04 April, 2024, 05:37:23 pm »
We were full up!

We were staying at Llanerchindda Farm, where the food is very good and the portions generous.
Though D had hired an e-bike, it wasn’t a very active weekend.

Needed to keep some space for forthcoming 3 course evening meal!

Will return to Llanerchindda for first weekend in May. Probably won’t be able to pop into Llandovery cafes at appropriate times.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #14 on: 07 April, 2024, 10:17:13 am »

...seemed somewhat sad (before starting to eat) when I had it in a pub recently, for £17 as it happens.

F&Cs by ao, on Flickr

What do you notice?   

[ Not thinking about mushy greens particularly; this was one of the rare occasions I opted for them.]

edit

Not wasabi then.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #15 on: 07 April, 2024, 10:37:59 am »
Looks like the fish has eaten half the chips!

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #16 on: 07 April, 2024, 10:45:13 am »
Always ask for haddock.  It tastes the same as cod but they'll think you know about fish.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #17 on: 07 April, 2024, 10:52:54 am »
Haddock used to have a distinctive taste, but not now they are caught before they have a chance to mature.

« Reply #18 on: 07 April, 2024, 11:05:44 am »
F&Cs by ao, on F
What do you notice?
What were you trying to point out?

« Reply #19 on: 07 April, 2024, 11:44:00 am »
The problem with fish and chips, IMHO, is there is no linear spectrum of goodness.  It goes straight from bloody amazing to utter shite, with nothing in between.

« Reply #20 on: 07 April, 2024, 12:35:02 pm »
Always ask for haddock.  It tastes the same as cod but they'll think you know about fish.
I think I can tell the difference, even if not it's worth choosing for other reasons.  It may be slightly more sustainable and a lot of chippies only cook it to order so you know it's freshly cooked.

« Reply #21 on: 07 April, 2024, 12:43:17 pm »

F&Cs by ao, on Flickr

What do you notice?   

edit

I notice that you have captured an image of the rare Suckling Chip. These strange beasts feed off the natural oil exuded by the mother fish, who has 10 teats allowing only that number to feed at once. These chips are notoriously shy, and fall off the mother and hide once they are full, and your image has captured six of these!! The lower numbers than regular chips allow them to be humanely caught and tagged, before being released into the wild. Given the amount of grease they will have ingested, they are protected against their natural predators. The scarcity of this genus is why you see so few in the image.

« Reply #22 on: 07 April, 2024, 12:50:33 pm »
I hope I never frequent that pub, that is one of the saddest plates of fish and chips I have ever seen and for £17!  Fish portions everywhere seem to be shrinking lately as costs go up but there is no excuse for 15 chips.

« Reply #23 on: 07 April, 2024, 01:13:02 pm »
What were you trying to point out?

Mainly the shrinkflationary pressure on pub fish & chips...

...The cod had apparently been cut in half, prior to battering.  You can see the straight fish edge on the right hand side.

« Reply #24 on: 07 April, 2024, 01:14:13 pm »

No-choice pub offering.  Cod, or leave it.