Author Topic: "Universal" Docking Stations and KVMSs  (Read 2414 times)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
"Universal" Docking Stations and KVMSs
« on: 30 October, 2020, 11:04:08 pm »
Due to some level of elightenment at work (well ok it's because we've run out of space given current limitations) I'm looking to need to set up a home office once I escape my Garret (hopefully mid to late november) and join the flip flop work from home rota (Everyone on desks facing one way for 5 days at home, and then swap)

The HP laptop I was given just before all hell broke loose only has a single HDMI port a handful of USB ports and an ethernet port; and a dire main monitor (14" I think and operated in 150% scaling mode for readability) so to get a dual monitor set up since the argument about getting proper matching set ups for home and work is likely to fail... And I suspect it'll be insisted the full set up remains at work*; I'm thinking of either taking the docking station home (I'll inevitably "accidentally" forget it) for each block but it'll be a pain to constantly lift the power supply across (The wall at my normal desk is to my left, I have my notepads to the left of the keyboard and main monitor so the laptop goes to the right of the desk).

So with that in mind, I'm thinking of getting a second monitor for my home desktop and then the thinking is if I get a dual monitor KVMS that gives me flexibility for not just the work lap top without wanting 4 monitors and an massy GBFO desk, I could do 2 monitors, 1 mouse, 1 key board, front speaker output and the 2 computers on that then have my printer, scanner and rst of 5.1 sound in my normal pc, then it's just the case of plugging the laptop into the KVM.

Q1) Are modern 2x Display Port KVMs any good? If so recommendations?

So that's possibly the kit minimization sorted but plugging it into the laptop?
I could do the take the docking station home thing, but that's a faff.
I've spotted that there are a range of USB 2 and USB 3 based Universal docking stations available that can do things like dual display port at a suitable resolution and all the other actions I need.
The closest experience I had to them was the crap USB-DVI ports that were bought for us when we went multi-monitor despite the machines we had at the time had dual Display Port output on them. :facepalm: and as I remember it they were flakey and I just bought a 2 quid Display Port to DVI convertor.

Q2) Has anyone used one of these USB docking stations and are they any good?

* The fact that NHSSNSS have apparently bought a massive pile of work from home kit for this very purpose going forwards tends to get lost like everything else procured nationally for Tayside IT but anyway...

Ben T

Re: "Universal" Docking Stations and KVMSs
« Reply #1 on: 31 October, 2020, 08:52:30 am »
Can you not just remote into one computer from the other, using remote desktop

« Reply #2 on: 31 October, 2020, 11:55:18 am »
My works Dell has a USB C dock of which I was issued when I was working on a project based out of a fixed office.

It'll either support two reasonable quality screens or one super high resolution one. It also has network, audio, and usb.

I wouldn't be with out one now.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #3 on: 31 October, 2020, 12:05:29 pm »
I have a macbook with USB C
It is driving 2 monitors via a USB C to HDMI dual port adapter
your options to do this really depend on the outputs from the laptop

a lot of people seem to like 34" curved monitors instead of two monitors

« Reply #4 on: 31 October, 2020, 12:28:02 pm »
Yeah, this all depends on whether your laptop has USB C ports or just USB A. You can run native (DisplayPort) video signals out of a USB C port so it's roughly the same as having extra monitor ports built-in.

If it's just USB A then you're sending the video data over the USB data bus and then generating the video signal in the docking station, which may or may not work as well as you'd like.

« Reply #5 on: 31 October, 2020, 12:32:21 pm »

With 2 monitors it is easier to maximise an app in each.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #6 on: 31 October, 2020, 01:03:13 pm »
On my computer desk, I have 2 big monitors.
The primary HDMI inputs are wired to my desktop PC.
The secondary inputs are wired to the USB-C docking station for my work Dell laptop.
I just switch the monitor inputs as required.

Yes, there are 2 mice and 2 keyboards, but one keyboard is on a tray which slides away under the desk, and the other can be shoved to the back of the desk when not in use.
Yes, I have typed a bunch of stuff on the wrong keyboard several times!

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #7 on: 31 October, 2020, 01:30:58 pm »
The work PC will be on the NHS scotland VPN, so even if remote desktop server was Installed I'd probably struggle to get on it.

There's also wanting the isolation between the 2 as I occasionally work with patient data.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #8 on: 31 October, 2020, 01:37:11 pm »
I'll need to check what the native ports are,theres one that looks a bit like USB c but might actually be Kensington

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #9 on: 31 October, 2020, 03:47:06 pm »
Turns out it has 2 ports that look like USB-C
One is a kensington lock mount, the other is a Thunderbolt USB-C port.

2xHDMI might actually be more practical. hm...

With 2 monitors it is easier to maximise an app in each.

Yes, I've been tempted by a big curved screen, but while I've figured out the key combination for switching windows between screens I've still not figured out how to tile windows easily.
And even at decent resolutions tools like Intellij start getting very cramped when you give them half the screen.

Ben T

« Reply #10 on: 31 October, 2020, 06:58:29 pm »
The work PC will be on the NHS scotland VPN, so even if remote desktop server was Installed I'd probably struggle to get on it.

There's also wanting the isolation between the 2 as I occasionally work with patient data.

I remote into my windows pc from my mac, and my windows PC, under the remote control of my mac, can then connect to my work's VPN. It retains its IP address on the local lan, it doesn't seem to muck with the RDP protocol - then again, my work's got a sensible VPN, whether the NHS would is another matter.

« Reply #11 on: 31 October, 2020, 08:15:29 pm »
On my computer desk, I have 2 big monitors.
The primary HDMI inputs are wired to my desktop PC.
The secondary inputs are wired to the USB-C docking station for my work Dell laptop.
I just switch the monitor inputs as required.

Yes, there are 2 mice and 2 keyboards, but one keyboard is on a tray which slides away under the desk, and the other can be shoved to the back of the desk when not in use.
Yes, I have typed a bunch of stuff on the wrong keyboard several times!

You've just described my setup, except I bought a cheap usb switch and have the keyboard and mouse connected to that.

D.

« Reply #12 on: 31 October, 2020, 08:18:20 pm »

My work PC certainly wouldn't allow that because connecting to it requires you to be a particular security group on the AD.

I would be surprised if a lot of large org's aren't the same, because the accreditors would do their nuts in.

I remote into my windows pc from my mac, and my windows PC, under the remote control of my mac, can then connect to my work's VPN. It retains its IP address on the local lan, it doesn't seem to muck with the RDP protocol - then again, my work's got a sensible VPN, whether the NHS would is another matter.

ian

« Reply #13 on: 02 November, 2020, 09:26:54 am »
I just have two computers set up on either slide of a curved desk and I swing between them – dramatically – on my executive command chair. This makes me feel very important.

Our mothership VPN blocks all local network access including remote desktop.

Afasoas

« Reply #14 on: 06 November, 2020, 05:43:36 pm »
I am in the throes of building the same setup. Just need to finish painting the plank of OSB which is going to top the new desk.

There is someone selling a couple of Startech 4 way/dual monitor/DVI docking stations on ebay right now for very reasonable $$, relative to the $$$ RRP.
Model number: SV431DD2DUA

I made a low ball offer on one, got a very reasonable counter offer and still the seller threw in some extra cables.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #15 on: 06 November, 2020, 05:59:27 pm »
Looks like I might have missed that deal; still not got house entry date, was originally projected for this time next week.
Support it helps the superstitious amongst the family that it's not then.

Afasoas

« Reply #16 on: 06 November, 2020, 06:41:29 pm »
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/StarTech-Port-Dual-DVI-USB-KVM-Switch-with-Audio-USB-2-0-Hub/254628684532?epid=166811128&hash=item3b490d62f4:g:MvEAAOxyjxlTPGLr

You will need the relevant adapters, but in most cases HDMI<->DVI and DisplayPort<->DVI (where there's USB-C magic involved) will just work.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
Re: &quot;Universal&quot; Docking Stations and KVMSs
« Reply #17 on: 07 November, 2020, 01:42:55 pm »
Ah! I'd skimmed past it because it was dvi.

Hm...
I'll have probably come up with a different idea once I'm actually in the hoose and can set up, it was projected for next Friday but clearly won't be.

« Reply #18 on: 07 November, 2020, 01:59:31 pm »

Split tunnelling is what you are describing. Whatever type of VPN you use you always retain your local network IP address as thats where one end of the VPN is. Some VPNs then force all traffic over the VPN whereas others only force traffic to the IP range at the other end of the VPN over the VPN (split tunnelling).

It's a bit of a religious argument with security bods about whether split tunnelling should be allowed or not. Allowing it leaves the enterprise open to a man in the middle attack as someone could take over your PC remotely then hop over the VPN into the corporate site. Non split tunneled VPNs are a right pain in the behind though as you lose access to everything local such as printers, NAS or other PCs.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #19 on: 07 November, 2020, 02:03:45 pm »

Non split tunneled VPNs are a right pain in the behind though as you lose access to everything local such as printers, NAS or other PCs.

Given the nature of the data potentially being processed or available the inability to access personal equipment from the work laptop is a fairly important security requirement.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #20 on: 09 November, 2020, 07:47:00 pm »
I'm a bit out of date on USB-C, so excuse my ignorance.

I have a US-C 'docking station' connected to my work laptop, feeding 2x 1920x1080 monitors ( and also gigabit LAN, kbd and mouse ).

What actually are these things?
Are they external USB video cards, generating their own video, or are they pass-thru adapters sending video from the laptop?

I suspect they are pass-thru devices, because Device Mangler does not show different hardware when it's plugged in.
Also, I've seen someone plug a Mac into a work Dell-branded one, and it Just Worked, there was no fussing with drivers.
So it looks like they are generic.

Afasoas

« Reply #21 on: 09 November, 2020, 09:18:11 pm »
I'm a bit out of date on USB-C, so excuse my ignorance.

I have a US-C 'docking station' connected to my work laptop, feeding 2x 1920x1080 monitors ( and also gigabit LAN, kbd and mouse ).

What actually are these things?
Are they external USB video cards, generating their own video, or are they pass-thru adapters sending video from the laptop?

I suspect they are pass-thru devices, because Device Mangler does not show different hardware when it's plugged in.
Also, I've seen someone plug a Mac into a work Dell-branded one, and it Just Worked, there was no fussing with drivers.
So it looks like they are generic.

I think for display, with USB-C, it's akin to a hub.
There are special drivers for the USB audio and USB ethernet - in my case Realtek for the dock and Intel for the on-board ethernet port.
Some of them are Thunderbolt enabled - generally more expensive but supports multiple 4k displays.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22 on: 09 November, 2020, 09:59:14 pm »
I recall the one for barakta's ork laptop has some sort of issue (I forget which port, possibly analogue audio?), because she lacks the admin privs to install the drivers.  And you can forget about the IT department sorting that out.  She only uses it for power and wired Ethernet, anyway.

Mildly irksome, because it would be mildly convenient, is that you can't charge your phone off it the way you can with the laptop's power brick.