Author Topic: Linux distro for laptop -problems  (Read 622 times)

Linux distro for laptop -problems
« on: 14 August, 2012, 06:00:39 pm »
Have diched windows in favour of linux, however.... I had to default to XUnbuntu, due to a  lack of good writable DVD's* in the cupboard.
I  have two problems: GUI documentation is generally  written for Gnome**, my screen resolution canot be changed  to run as  high as
1680x1050 on a monitor - seperate,  not a clone...Should I, ditch  XUnbuntu in favour   of  - distro xx??. Am I  expecting  too much  from the  lightweight Xfce desktop and install Gnome  taking a  performance hit.
The machine is a HPG7000 laptop, it never moves from it's position connected to a KVM switch, all I need to run is Open Office, email and Mplab XIDE . Getting the wireless to work would helpfully free up a Cat5 port on my router
* Other Distros needed to be downloaded and burnt -after 6 attempts at Mint I gave up as  I had a copy of Xunbutu on the shelf
**Yes I  can use the CLI,  but there is a lot of  conflicting information on the www - the assumption often  is a high  level of understanding.

Re: Linux distro for laptop -problems
« Reply #1 on: 14 August, 2012, 06:53:49 pm »
Most distros can be run off (live mode) or installed from a USB stick. Your computer needs to be able to boot from a USB stick/disc though, but all newish computers should be OK.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
Re: Linux distro for laptop -problems
« Reply #2 on: 14 August, 2012, 09:00:02 pm »
For fixing the screen resolution, you may need to install/activate the graphics drivers. Depends on what the graphics chipset is, it might need proprietary drivers that aren't included as standard.