Author Topic: Pugsley!!  (Read 36806 times)

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
Re: Pugsley!!
« Reply #75 on: 03 November, 2012, 05:31:28 pm »
I have just borrowed a Pugsley for as long as I want.
Not a mistake its owner will make again, I suspect ;D

I really need to log a bit more trail time on my Pugsley, but since I've just (as in about 30 minutes ago) finished building up my Genesis singlespeed I doubt that's going to happen any time soon unless we get a lot of snow!

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #76 on: 03 November, 2012, 06:09:36 pm »
I don't know, the Pugsley comes from from a college and his brother. They are quite extreme when it comes to bicycles.
Both of them own 7-10 bikes each including a couple of  pugsley's and a moonlander.
It is a bike they build from spareparts they had laying around.  :o 
It is a borrow as long as you like, but if you break it, you buy it. :thumbsup:

Btw. they both ride fatbikes with rohloff hubs and will never go back to derailleur, because it is much more reliable in crappy conditions.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #77 on: 03 November, 2012, 06:21:53 pm »
Btw. they both ride fatbikes with rohloff hubs and will never go back to derailleur, because it is much more reliable in crappy conditions.
Pretty much the same reason why none of my 5 bikes have derailleurs :)
Two Alfine-8s (one on my orange Genesis, one on the Pugsley), a fixed gear (my yellow Genesis), an Alfine-11 (on the 1x1) and the green singlespeed :)

I went on a pretty craptacular ride on the 1x1 a few weeks ago and the Alfine-11 barely missed a beat despite being absolutely covered in mud and, erm, other rural detritus. I was a bit concerned about reliability initially, but its earned its keep in more ways than one. Really, the only reason that the Pugsley has an 8-speed is that I was absolutely convinced that it was up to the job (the 11-speed had only been out a few months - I couldn't justify a Rohloff!)

fuzzy

« Reply #78 on: 08 March, 2013, 01:14:01 pm »
Around September time, Genesis will throw the Caribou into the mix.

Must resist. M u s t  r e s i s t!

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #79 on: 08 March, 2013, 01:28:35 pm »

Resistance is Futile, you will be assimilated!!

That Caribou does look nice, plus there may be the Singular Puffin and rumour has it that one of the majors (Trek, Specialized, Giant) is joining the party.

EDIT and Kona!

fuzzy

« Reply #80 on: 08 March, 2013, 01:34:57 pm »

That Caribou does look nice, plus there may be the Singular Puffin and rumour has it that one of the majors (Trek, Specialized, Giant) is joining the party.

EDIT and Kona!

I do like the black, blue and orange paint job on the prototype.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #81 on: 08 March, 2013, 01:52:52 pm »
Lest we forget, Salsa and the carbon version of the Beargrease.

I like the look of the Genesis, but vertical dropouts are a dealbreaker for me.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #82 on: 08 March, 2013, 01:53:52 pm »

EDIT and Kona!

I do like the black, blue and orange paint job on the prototype.

Think the production Caribous will be white, shame because the prototype colours look great!

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #83 on: 08 March, 2013, 02:03:07 pm »
Think the production Caribous will be white, shame because the prototype colours look great!
Needs moar orange! ;D

Since Pugsley is about to undergo a pretty major overhaul (conversion to singlespeed, a bit of cockpit remodelling etc.) I'm trying to decide whether to have the frame resprayed whilst I'm waiting for various back-ordered bits. Surly even do Pugsley decals in orange :)

As for Genesis, the blue/orange/black seems to be standard livery for their prototype machines now - Vin Cox has been testing a prototype of their new 'cross bike and it's done up in the exact same colours, as was the 'original' Day-One Disc.

fuzzy

« Reply #84 on: 08 March, 2013, 02:05:33 pm »
Lest we forget, Salsa and the carbon version of the Beargrease.

I like the look of the Genesis, but vertical dropouts are a dealbreaker for me.

The dropouts are moot round my manor. I would need gears to get anything above the weight of a steel road bike frame up some of the hills I ride on my way to work.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #85 on: 08 March, 2013, 02:13:53 pm »
Just read the blurb about the Caribou frame spec - 170mm rear end. Double dealbreaker  :facepalm:

The price point of the full bike is around that of a stock Pugsley (Neckromancer/Black Ops is more expensive) so it'll be interesting to see how things pan out. Whilst I could possibly live with vertical dropouts (that's what chain tensioners are for, after all) the 170mm rear end is a no-no. Want to run a hub gear? Good luck with that.

On the plus side, if it helps bring the price of fat-bike componentry down, particularly tyres, then I'm all for it.

« Reply #86 on: 06 September, 2014, 08:37:45 pm »
Ooh - a purple Pugsley for 2015! :thumbsup: