Author Topic: DIY noodles  (Read 2117 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
DIY noodles
« on: 15 October, 2022, 10:51:09 am »
Anyone here made theirs?  Thinking of everything from ramen to tagliatelle, and using a manual pasta machine.

I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ian

Re: DIY noodles
« Reply #1 on: 15 October, 2022, 11:59:16 am »
Like all middle-class people, I did once briefly own one of those pasta-making devices, which got used once. It's a faff and the results taste exactly like pasta from the shop.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2 on: 16 October, 2022, 02:42:50 pm »
Mrs Cudzo's mother, grandmothers, aunts, neighbours etc (none of whom are or were remotely middle class) all did this as a matter of course. Using ordinary 'soft' flour rather than durum and making the shapes either by hand and knife or using a (hand turned) meat mincer. She herself claims she knows how to, in I think I've seen her do it, but of course we live in a land of supermarkets and working for a living now.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
DIY noodles
« Reply #3 on: 16 October, 2022, 04:07:59 pm »
I’ve never tried making noodles, mainly for the reasons ian says. I’ve seen videos of people hand-stretching noodles, which looks like far more trouble than it’s worth. You can get extruder attachments for the KitchenAid mixer, but it’s never been top of my shopping list.

I found this video of someone making udon noodles, using a method that looks like not too much faff - the video itself is quite soothing to watch:

https://youtu.be/luljUScGJm4

Interestingly, udon noodles are made with very low water but lots of salt. It makes a tough dough - the trampling is what softens it. Most of the salt elutes during cooking.
https://www.justonecookbook.com/udon-noodles/

I do have a pasta machine that I use occasionally for making tagliatelle or lasagne. It’s easy to whiz up the dough in the food processor in a few seconds, and the rolling part doesn’t take long. Just a bit more mess to clear up afterwards than shop-bought pasta, but that’s why dishwashers were invented. I imagine you could do the rolling and cutting of the udon noodles with the pasta machine.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #4 on: 16 October, 2022, 04:57:29 pm »
I’ve also toyed with the manual pasta maker, but only for ravioli a few times. And my stepsons (Hungarian) wife does a mean gnocchi type thing using a colander.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5 on: 16 October, 2022, 05:01:18 pm »
I’ve never tried making noodles, mainly for the reasons ian says. I’ve seen videos of people hand-stretching noodles, which looks like far more trouble than it’s worth. You can get extruder attachments for the KitchenAid mixer, but it’s never been top of my shopping list.

I found this video of someone making udon noodles, using a method that looks like not too much faff - the video itself is quite soothing to watch:

https://youtu.be/luljUScGJm4

Nice guitar backing, too.

Interestingly, udon noodles are made with very low water but lots of salt. It makes a tough dough - the trampling is what softens it. Most of the salt elutes during cooking.
https://www.justonecookbook.com/udon-noodles/

I do have a pasta machine that I use occasionally for making tagliatelle or lasagne. It’s easy to whiz up the dough in the food processor in a few seconds, and the rolling part doesn’t take long. Just a bit more mess to clear up afterwards than shop-bought pasta, but that’s why dishwashers were invented. I imagine you could do the rolling and cutting of the udon noodles with the pasta machine.

Trampling sounds a bit like fun, more so now that we no longer have dogs.

MrsT and I have found Just One Cookbook independently. I like her stuff, ditto Jet Tila though he's a bit full of himself.

The main reason I'm interested in the DIY side is that Korean packet ramen suddenly disappeared from our local Carrefour Express, just when I'd got hooked on it. It's great after a ride or if ICBA making lunch.  We've tried Tanoshi ramen but it's not so great, although today I dumped the noodles into a pork stir-fry and they were great. Lots of ginger and coriander.

Re the faff of a machine, MrsT seems strangely reticent about getting one.  It's true that we can get other noodles that would do for ramen but I rather fancy doing it myself.

citoyen

« Reply #6 on: 16 October, 2022, 08:41:40 pm »
The classic pasta machine really isn't much faff to use.

Mind you, I think I've had mine for 30 years now, so I'm probably quite well practised in using it.

« Reply #7 on: 16 October, 2022, 10:08:24 pm »
I've just had some homemade noodles, not made by me though. A machine might be useful for making a lot but for one meal all you need is flour, water, flat surface, rolling pin and a knife.

I've made some by cutting tortilla wraps into strips.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8 on: 17 October, 2022, 03:23:30 pm »
MrsT is very much in the "all you need is a rolling pin" camp, but I like the idea of turning a knob to 1 mm and cranking away, mainly because I don't trust either her or myself not to turn out gyoza skins like young pancakes and noodles like grissini.

As to making a lot at one go, I believe any excess will survive in a good while the freezer.

citoyen

« Reply #9 on: 17 October, 2022, 05:32:12 pm »
If you want to make ramen, this is a good read:
https://www.seriouseats.com/the-ultimate-guide-to-making-ramen-noodles-at-home

I find a pasta machine ideal for making small quantities - gets the job done in no time.

« Reply #10 on: 17 October, 2022, 05:54:54 pm »
MrsT is very much in the "all you need is a rolling pin" camp, but I like the idea of turning a knob to 1 mm and cranking away, mainly because I don't trust either her or myself not to turn out gyoza skins like young pancakes and noodles like grissini.

As to making a lot at one go, I believe any excess will survive in a good while the freezer.

The traditional to make dumpling skins is to flatten a small ball of dough with you hand against the work surface, then use a rolling pin on the edge to the centre of the disc, rotating the the disc as it gets flatter and bigger. The idea is to have a thicker centre and thinner edge so the crimped part doesn't end up too thick.

I thought it would be quicker and easier to roll out all the dough and use a circular cutter to cut out the discs but according to the one who makes them the traditional way tastes better!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #11 on: 18 October, 2022, 12:55:45 pm »
If you want to make ramen, this is a good read:
https://www.seriouseats.com/the-ultimate-guide-to-making-ramen-noodles-at-home

I find a pasta machine ideal for making small quantities - gets the job done in no time.

That looks good, thanks. Re using pasta & baking soda, I've seen it suggested to spread the bicarb on a sheet of alu foil in the oven and baking it for half an hour to covert it to sodium carbonate, which is apparently more efficient.

The traditional to make dumpling skins is to flatten a small ball of dough with you hand against the work surface, then use a rolling pin on the edge to the centre of the disc, rotating the the disc as it gets flatter and bigger. The idea is to have a thicker centre and thinner edge so the crimped part doesn't end up too thick.

I thought it would be quicker and easier to roll out all the dough and use a circular cutter to cut out the discs but according to the one who makes them the traditional way tastes better!

Yes, I've seen this. I'll maybe give it a go; after all, we do have a bloody great marble slab built into the worktop for the purpose.