Author Topic: AA/AAA battery charger  (Read 26455 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: AA/AAA battery charger
« Reply #75 on: 10 November, 2012, 10:23:25 pm »
I've certainly come in from the cold with discharged NiMHs that have benefited from 5 minutes in a trouser pocket before being put on charge...

« Reply #76 on: 10 November, 2012, 10:35:49 pm »
... I do need to find one of my old cheap and cheerful chargers to give one battery, which was utterly discharged, enough omph that the BL-700 will "see" it, and allow me to use the Refresh system to see if I can get it back into use (the BL-700 won't charge a battery whose output voltage is below 0.9V, because it doesn't realise it's there!)

That did work, although I've never seen the voltage drop so fast in Refresh Mode!  It swapped over to the Charge cycle after less than ten seconds, and prior to that was dropping almost 0.1V/second (whilst only being discharged at 100mA).  It had only been in the other charger for less than half an hour though, so that's hardly surprising.
Actually, it is rocket science.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #77 on: 10 November, 2012, 10:44:43 pm »
I see that Battery Logic are now selling chargers similar to the BL-700, but which have higher charging currents.

The BC-1000 looks virtually identical to the BL-700, but can charge at up to 1A with all four batteries, and if you're happy to only charge two, at up to 1.8A.

Now, I suspect these options are probably only a good idea when you're in a rush, and can't wait, but I've just ordered one of these, and some more batteries, since I keep on finding that one charger isn't adequate, when inevitably I find myself needing a mass of batteries charged up now!

I do need to find one of my old cheap and cheerful charger to give one battery, which was utterly discharged, enough omph that the BL-700 will "see" it, and allow me to use the Refresh system to see if I can get it back into use (the BL-700 won't charge a battery whose output voltage is below 0.9V, because it doesn't realise it's there!)

I got one of those at the end of September- partly to deal with my concerns about the capacities of my existing batteries, and partly because of another battery related issue- the Edge 705 battery seemed to be draining even with my Portapow dual AA USB charger on, so I decided to  go for one of their newer Premium ones, which take three AAs (and solved the issue). Have to say: wish I'd got one of these before. My other charger (Camlink Omega) isn't completely 'dumb', but it's two or four batteries only, AAs or AAAs, not both, gives no indication of capacity, what if one battery needs more charge?....all the extra options and info the BL-1000 gives is very reassuring. It's 'slower' than the Omega, but as others have noted, that's often no bad thing. Brilliant bit of kit, highly recommended.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #78 on: 11 November, 2012, 12:23:12 am »
Right so my uniross batteries are coming to the end of their lives and it's upgrade time; I need a charger ideally like the B700 but that'll also do PP3s.

Anyone seen such a thing? Where's a good place to buy in bulk as I'm going to need maybe 30x AAAs, 20x AAs and 5x PP3s. Enloops sound ideal.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #79 on: 11 November, 2012, 10:24:32 am »
7DayShop Good to Go AAs are good.  They offer reduced rates for bulk orders.  I just bought ten packs of four - to be ready for the next power cut at home!  £42.90 with free post.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #80 on: 11 November, 2012, 10:28:50 am »
I recall that Ansmann? used to make a charger that did PP3 as well as AA/AAA cells.   Nearly bought one myself a while back.

handcyclist

• watch for my signal
« Reply #81 on: 11 November, 2012, 10:39:47 am »
Alternative smart charger - the Powerex WizardOne
Rather nicer than the Technoline BL-700, even if that's working well.
I've got a bit of a down on the BL-700 as mine managed to cook a set of 2700 AAs severely enough to start to melt its own casing. AAAs won't fit properly now. >:(

According to the instructions with the WizardOne, the best charging rates are in the 2 to 3.5 hour range (for a full charge - 700 to 1250mA for 2500mAh AAs). Too fast and you risk damage, too slow and the end-of-charge detection becomes unreliable.

---------------------

As well as the longer shelf life, the Hybrio type seem to do better at living up to their stated capacity. I've had some over spec, but normal 2700 AAs down to 2300 or lower (as shown on BL-700).

"Hybrio type" = Uniross Hybrio, GP Recyko, Sanyo Eneloop, Ansmann MaxE
plus various others advertised as "pre-charged" or "ready to use" from Synergy, Duracell, Camlink, Hama, Powerrman, Powergee ...
They are all about the same capacity (2100 AA, 800 AAA) and apparently there are only 2 or 3 manufacturers, despite the multitude of brand names.

Another vote for the Powerex Wizard One.

Available from ebay.de for £46 delivered.

It's the dogs danglies - individual battery charging routines, new battery 'moulding' and refresh/analyze for recovery and battery matching. 12v power supply so you could use it in a vehicle.

Buy once, buy good and get more out of your batteries.

Sorry Sam, doesn't do PP3s.
Doubt is is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #82 on: 11 November, 2012, 10:55:29 am »
Interesting PP3 chargers on eBay

I included the word "independent" in the search string (for descriptions and titles) to hopefully find some decent ones that charge each cell independently.  I'd use one of these for PP3s, and a BL700 separately for AAs and AAAs.

Also consider non-rechargeable lithium PP3s for low-drain devices like smoke alarms.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●