Author Topic: Doctor Foster's Winter Warmer  (Read 2097 times)

Dodge

• Monsieur Escargot
  • Velo Club L'Escargot - we're great at going slow!!
    • Velo Club L'Escargot - Ultra Distance Cycling Club
Doctor Foster's Winter Warmer
« on: 20 January, 2012, 05:58:23 pm »
So then, who's doing this one?

After a four year break from Audax - last one was "A Bridge Too Far 600" back in July 2008 - I've decided to have a crack at another year and hopefully complete the SR - haven't done a 400 yet  :-\

I've even created a new club just for the "long distance thing" - Velo Club L'Escargot - just for a laugh like!!!  8)
Velo Club L'Escargot - we're great at going slow - steady as she goes Captain :) - http://www.racingsnails.cc

Re: Doctor Foster's Winter Warmer
« Reply #1 on: 20 January, 2012, 06:04:29 pm »
Probably not, but have done it quite a few times. The only shit bit is from Gloucester to Newent, but the rest is lovely. Great ride for this time of year. I love the last few miles up Pen y LAN and onto the top, sighting Cardiff Gate, and hearing the Toby Carvery dinner calling me

Dodge

• Monsieur Escargot
« Reply #2 on: 20 January, 2012, 07:12:06 pm »
I've done the end bit of the ride a few times on local Audax - I recall the finish is similar to "Making Hay"...

I'd have to agree it's a great finish to the ride - although at the time I did also think that the organiser was being somewhat sadistic!!!  :demon:
Velo Club L'Escargot - we're great at going slow - steady as she goes Captain :) - http://www.racingsnails.cc

Euan Uzami

« Reply #3 on: 20 January, 2012, 10:20:47 pm »
I'll be there all being well as long as I don't miss the train or work emotionally blackmail me to be on call

« Reply #4 on: 21 January, 2012, 10:16:22 pm »
I'm in. Routesheet arrived yesterday
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride." - John F. Kennedy

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #5 on: 21 January, 2012, 10:55:25 pm »
I was wondering when you'd turn up here again, now that you've metaphorically grown a beard.  ;)

Dodge

• Monsieur Escargot
« Reply #6 on: 22 January, 2012, 08:27:23 am »
Metaphorically? The beard comes and goes - and it was only a matter of time before I came back on here! Had just about enough of certain people's egos thank you very much :)

A good year ahead me thinks!

The only problem with being a Rhys W is that there are just so many of them - is RW the Welsh equivalent of John Smith? :P

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #7 on: 26 January, 2012, 08:20:10 am »
I entered ages ago but missed the thread, but I can say that I ride the bits on the Bristol side very regularly, and they are superb !!

Anybody got as GPS please?  

I will need it by tonight cos I am riding over early tomorrow - if not, I will write one....
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

« Reply #8 on: 26 January, 2012, 08:47:24 am »
I can send you one tonight after work , around 6'ish
Can't do routes on an iphone
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride." - John F. Kennedy

« Reply #9 on: 26 January, 2012, 09:37:11 am »
...................................................... Great ride for this time of year. I love the last few miles up Pen y LAN and onto the top, sighting Cardiff Gate, and hearing the Toby Carvery dinner calling me

+1,  :thumbsup:

............................. The only shit bit is from Gloucester to Newent, ........................

And possible geting caught by the Severn bore covering the road at Stonebench, although this is a rarity - and has only happened a couple of times in the last decade. Last one being 2009?
As HF has pointed-out, the Glos-Newent bit is the lowest point on an excelent route, (ridden loads of times as cal & perm). For those in the know, the worst bit of this is the A417/A40 bit as you leave Gloucester. The good news is - this can all be missed by using CR45 at the Llanthony Road TLs, then CR41 to cross the River Severn on Telford's bridge. Continue on CR41 along the route of the old railway to Highnam. This completely cuts-out the racetrack west of Gloucester. Your then deposited back on the B4215 to Newent.
Possibly 0.5km longer, maybe 15 mins longer, infinitly more pleasurable.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
« Reply #10 on: 26 January, 2012, 11:23:33 am »
I can send you one tonight after work , around 6'ish
Can't do routes on an iphone

That'd be brill, Guto  ;D

Cycling heatmap

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #11 on: 26 January, 2012, 06:40:23 pm »
I'm in, I was planning one 200km per month but this will be my 2nd.
It's kind of addictive isn't it?
"And I been up to my neck in pleasure
              Up to my neck in pain"

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
« Reply #12 on: 26 January, 2012, 08:08:56 pm »

My wife calls it  OCD -    :facepalm: O:-) :facepalm:

Cycling heatmap

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #13 on: 26 January, 2012, 10:23:06 pm »

My wife calls it  OCD -    :facepalm: O:-) :facepalm:

Obsessive Cycling Disorder, right?  ;D
"And I been up to my neck in pleasure
              Up to my neck in pain"

« Reply #14 on: 27 January, 2012, 08:57:18 am »

After a four year break from Audax - last one was "A Bridge Too Far 600" back in July 2008 - I've decided to have a crack at another year and hopefully complete the SR - haven't done a 400 yet  :-\

I've even created a new club just for the "long distance thing" - Velo Club L'Escargot - just for a laugh like!!!  8)

Being a velo snail myself I checked out your website.Talk of chaingangs and dropping people on the bypass round a bouts made me put the kettle on for a nice cuppa to calm my nerves  :)   Good Luck with the SR and the new club.

Dodge

• Monsieur Escargot
« Reply #15 on: 27 January, 2012, 04:04:52 pm »

Being a velo snail myself I checked out your website.Talk of chaingangs and dropping people on the bypass round a bouts made me put the kettle on for a nice cuppa to calm my nerves  :)   Good Luck with the SR and the new club.

Cheers fella! Ha ha - true, true! A few of the guys are more into the old time trialling - so they want something a little more "pacey"!  For me though, it's all about taking it easy...like Cadbury's Caramel I guess...mmmm...chocolate...

We are, however, trying to eliminate the ego from the whole thing :)

Dodge

• Monsieur Escargot
« Reply #16 on: 29 January, 2012, 05:30:01 pm »
Many thanks to Mr Pember for putting on an excellent event - thoroughly enjoyed by everyone who took part I'm sure!

What a fabulous day! Probably the best weather for a ride I've done in absolutely ages and the route I thought was fantastic - no complaints from me - even the canal paths were OK and just served to break the ride up nicely - in my opinion anyway.

The threat of ice didn't appear to materialise and it just ended up being a glorious day with cracking company.

Good to meet Mike (bikey-mikey) who indeed is completely barking - we especially enjoyed his triathlon style transitions at the controls! Good man!

We said we'd tell you who we were Mike, so I'm Roger and with me were Steve, Swiss and Hayden...hope you had a safe 200km back home...a few new names for your list of riders...

Next official one for us is "Making Hay" - then "Heart of England" and eventually the "Bryan Chapman" - just need to sort out a 400km now to complete the SR! Any suggestions - we can't do the Brevet Cymru unfortunately?

8)

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
« Reply #17 on: 29 January, 2012, 08:52:48 pm »
Indeed it was nice to meet some new names, and of course catch up with the old ones..

I loved the bit from Usk to Newport behind the Celtic Manor - perfect new road surface, lots of river to look at, and no cars at all

Climbing over the top of Pen-y-Lan was gobsmacking, with perfect views all around, and brilliant sun in my eyes as well

Hello to Hot Flatus who I met in one of the controls, even though he wasn't doing the event.

Also rgds to Steve (hope throat OK now?) and Alastair (who towed me for ages at supersonic speeds) - both Forest of Dean CC guys

Cycling heatmap