Author Topic: What are you having for supper tonight?  (Read 328838 times)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Re: What are you having for supper tonight?
« Reply #3425 on: 23 April, 2021, 03:16:49 pm »
Oh fish finger sandwich....

Came to ask for ideas for food, thinking salad maybe... or a couscous/quinoa with roasted veg.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #3426 on: 27 May, 2021, 06:57:41 pm »
I've just harvested the first year of the wild garlic that I liberated and planted in pots last year so tonight will be wild garlic risotto :P
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #3427 on: 27 May, 2021, 07:22:00 pm »
A pub meal !
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #3428 on: 27 May, 2021, 09:13:21 pm »
I've just harvested the first year of the wild garlic that I liberated and planted in pots last year so tonight will be wild garlic risotto :P

Crikey, ours has flowered and is dying back already!

Riffing on Ian’s smoked haddock “carbonara”, I sautéed a couple of finely diced shallots with garlic, then deglazed with white wine. Added thawed cooked large prawns and king prawns, and kept warm. Cooked spaghetti, and meantime mixed up 1 1/2 eggs (dumped one white), chopped chives, a handful of grated Parmesan, and a pot of Tesco “responsibly sourced mixed crab (white and brown) meat”. Drained the spaghetti, keeping back a little cooking water, added the prawn mix, then the egg and crab mix. Really nice. Black pepper is a good addition, but my wife’s intolerant of it so just in my portion  :).
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #3429 on: 27 May, 2021, 09:23:02 pm »
Ours has flowered and was probably a little past its best, but I still ate it.

« Reply #3430 on: 03 June, 2021, 07:12:13 pm »
A grilled pork chop & some baby potatoes with walnut pesto.  I may do some sort of salad as a nod to healthy eating.

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/pesto-potato-salad
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #3431 on: 05 June, 2021, 05:10:22 pm »
I have marinaded a rump of lamb ready to BBQ but am feeling a bit jaded today after a rather too splendid night with friends outside the pub last night.
We are off walking at the beach  tomorrow morning so I think I might just do some burgers and halloumi slices tonight and have the lamb tomorrow when we will have better appetites and clearer heads. Marinade will work better overnight anyway.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #3432 on: 07 June, 2021, 11:25:21 am »
We're going to be trying out the Heck Vegan Italia burgers tonight... it'll be interesting to see what they're like.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #3433 on: 21 June, 2021, 06:36:13 pm »
Midsummers Day - curry of course.

« Reply #3434 on: 22 June, 2021, 05:10:40 pm »
Chinese takeaway for the first time in about three years. Mainly because I am delivering something to a relative and will pass a takeaway on the way back.
Living over 5 miles from the nearest takeaway definitely cuts down on the temptation to get one.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #3435 on: 25 June, 2021, 07:06:39 pm »
Seafood pasta. Sustainably fished Patagonian scallops, definitely unsustainable tiger prawns, and some North Atlantic prawns. Shallots, garlic, lemon juice and a splash of white wine. A lovely sweet sauce  for the spaghetti. .

ian

« Reply #3436 on: 25 June, 2021, 08:10:59 pm »
Greek balls. I invented them. Basically chicken meatballs with crushed up coriander seeds, bread crumbs, some oregano, garlic, olive oil, and a bit of chilli and a pinch of cinnamon (it's basically my take on kofte). Fry them up, deglaze the pan with a glug of white wine, some more crushed coriander seeds, lemon juice and a couple of spoon of plain yoghurt for a sauce.

Served with a potato salad – jersey new potatoes, lots of chopped coriander and mint, sumac, olive oil and lemon juice - flatbread and hummus (which I'll cheat and get out of a tub, honestly homemade rarely seems better than ready-made stuff).

I have also invented Turkish balls, which is pretty much the same without the coriander, but rose harissa and a touch of garam masala (don't ask me, but it's necessary) and more spice. I may just go all the way and make Indian balls. Me and Mademoiselle Magimix could make all kinds of national balls.

My wife is very tolerant of culinary experimentation, but then she's cooked me one meal ever, and god, it was awful enough to last a lifetime.

« Reply #3437 on: 25 June, 2021, 08:28:58 pm »
Greek balls. I invented them. Basically chicken meatballs with crushed up coriander seeds, bread crumbs, some oregano, garlic, olive oil, and a bit of chilli and a pinch of cinnamon (it's basically my take on kofte). Fry them up, deglaze the pan with a glug of white wine, some more crushed coriander seeds, lemon juice and a couple of spoon of plain yoghurt for a sauce.

Served with a potato salad – jersey new potatoes, lots of chopped coriander and mint, sumac, olive oil and lemon juice - flatbread and hummus (which I'll cheat and get out of a tub, honestly homemade rarely seems better than ready-made stuff).

I have also invented Turkish balls, which is pretty much the same without the coriander, but rose harissa and a touch of garam masala (don't ask me, but it's necessary) and more spice. I may just go all the way and make Indian balls. Me and Mademoiselle Magimix could make all kinds of national balls.

My wife is very tolerant of culinary experimentation, but then she's cooked me one meal ever, and god, it was awful enough to last a lifetime.
Must remember to add sumac to pototo salad.

« Reply #3438 on: 25 June, 2021, 10:12:29 pm »
Simmered 3 cloves of crushed garlic & a good dash of dried chilli flakes in some olive oil, added 1/2 a can of good Italian chopped tomatoes (Mutti), let it reduce, lots of black pepper & a cube of posh French brown sugar.

Chucked in a pack of supermarket mussels, gave them a couple of minutes, then added prawns, peas & some chopped parsley.    Served over rice.  Nom.

« Reply #3439 on: 02 August, 2021, 10:14:24 pm »
Bacon, black pudding & eggs.  Inna salad.  That’s healthy isn’t it ?

« Reply #3440 on: 02 August, 2021, 10:17:10 pm »
Bacon, black pudding & eggs.  Inna salad.  That’s healthy isn’t it ?

I see lard and burnt crunchy bits, but you're one essential food group short, i.e. starch...  :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3441 on: 03 August, 2021, 10:02:38 am »
Aldi had soft Italian herb bread in again, so I suspect it'll be lots of that and something like a piperade. Which is Basque but who cares?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Regulator

« Reply #3442 on: 03 August, 2021, 10:07:54 am »
Sausages (from the Gogs Farm Shop), roast veg (including my favourite - roast beetroot) and steamed tree spinach.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #3443 on: 06 August, 2021, 10:07:06 pm »
Tonight was a grilled ducks breast & a bowl of salad.  The timer didn't Beep, so it wasn't as pink as I'd prefer.

Wednesday was the first meal out with a mate in 18 months....   We picked a restaurant we'd been to before,  a bit out of the way so it wouldn't be crowded.  Lovely food & it was nice to see my friend again.  Bastard has lost a ton of weight (pre-diabetic diagnosis!)   

https://twitter.com/andrewxclark/status/1423022678861127685?s=20

https://www.cargoseafoodrestaurant.co.uk

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #3444 on: 07 August, 2021, 09:44:11 pm »
Goat funk and bee sick pizza  :demon:  :smug:

« Reply #3445 on: 20 August, 2021, 10:26:28 am »
One of Angel Hartnetts "Cafe Murano" spring menus (porchetta, delivered), as it's our (19th) wedding annivesary.

Regulator

« Reply #3446 on: 24 August, 2021, 03:44:09 pm »
Beetroot falafel (homemade) and salad, with a mint and yoghurt dressing, in wholemeal pitta.

Green Party Councillor

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #3447 on: 28 August, 2021, 07:39:14 pm »
One of Angel Hartnetts "Cafe Murano" spring menus (porchetta, delivered), as it's our (19th) wedding annivesary.

Any good?
I thought about getting a cook at home dinner delivered for our anniversary next Thursday,  but given that I have no idea how good the cooker at the new place is I thought I'd probably best go for a takeaway.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #3448 on: 28 August, 2021, 07:40:28 pm »
Tonight's freezer roulette: smoked salmon lemony creamy pasta. Quite acceptable.

« Reply #3449 on: 28 August, 2021, 08:39:59 pm »

Any good?
I thought about getting a cook at home dinner delivered for our anniversary next Thursday,  but given that I have no idea how good the cooker at the new place is I thought I'd probably best go for a takeaway.

A mixed bag. The starters I enjoyed, especially the aubergine dip, but the main was disappointing. The porchetta was tougher than I thought it should be, and not particularly flavoursome. And the stuffing was bland, certainly no taste of fennel as far as I could tell. Roast potatoes, tomatoes and artichokes were ok, as you’d expect. The caprese cake and pistachio cream was lovely. The summer slaw was all cabbage, not much redeemed by the ceasar dressing. I’d not bother with her stuff again, sadly. I think perhaps curries would do better, but my wife can no longer tolerate spices.

ETA we also had an “add-on”, courgette and ricotta tortellini with tomato and basil sauce. Apart from a distinct lack of basil (we added out own) it was delicious.