Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1624317 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #2275 on: 28 September, 2012, 10:49:04 am »
During the ten minute walk back from tonight's swimming lesson, I saw 9 cyclists. Two were properly lit front and back. One had no lights on her bike but had a headtorch on her helmet. One had a back light only, and he was on the pavement. The other four had no lights and dark clothes, but one was ensuring his safety by cycling on the pavement.

Sometimes I think the bottom half of local newspaper websites has a point.

Sometimes I think I am the only cyclist in Feltham and Bedfont with lights. It is starting to draw in at around 6pm now (particularly if the weather is a bit murky) and is proper dark by 7pm (when I get off the train).

« Reply #2276 on: 28 September, 2012, 10:55:33 am »
I need some exercise endorphins.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2277 on: 28 September, 2012, 11:22:03 am »
I need a large drink.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2278 on: 28 September, 2012, 12:35:59 pm »
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2279 on: 28 September, 2012, 01:09:19 pm »
My knee is painfull this morning to the extent of almost inducing a limp.This morning I have been to Tesco's for the first time in >two weeks.
I have observed this coincidence previously.Perhaps a Tesco embargo is appropriate ;D

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #2280 on: 28 September, 2012, 01:49:51 pm »
cheeky Friday lunch outing.

I think I've been pizza'ed to death.

:facepalm:

« Reply #2281 on: 28 September, 2012, 02:19:37 pm »
BBC weather: Yesterday afternoon you predicted cloud but no rain. It pissed down on my washing. Today, your forecast shows it should be sunny. I look out of my window and see dark clouds gathering and the wind picking up. Natch, my washing is out. If it rains again, it's the shuvel. Fuck me! As I was writing that, it started to piss down. Bastards!
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2282 on: 28 September, 2012, 02:27:03 pm »
Dentist, while you or rather your nurse amused me greatly today, why do you have to use all that anaesthetic? Ok, drilling into teeth can cause pain, but I've never found it so. I far prefer a few drilling twinges to total numbness on one side of my face - especially when I'm hungry and really want a cup of tea! I feel as if my face is skewiff and lopsided now. In fact a look in the mirror shows it probably is! (waddaya mean it always was?)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #2283 on: 28 September, 2012, 02:29:08 pm »
I think you should have the cup of tea anyway, just so that you can re-enact a scene from "10"
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2284 on: 28 September, 2012, 02:49:49 pm »
My knee is painfull this morning to the extent of almost inducing a limp.This morning I have been to Tesco's for the first time in >two weeks.
I have observed this coincidence previously.Perhaps a Tesco embargo is appropriate ;D

Pushing a shopping trolley in a straight line is one of the things that's pretty much guaranteed to b0rk my knee.  The twisting forces involved aren't natural.  I tend to either pull the trolley, or step around it and apply force in a straight line as needed.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2285 on: 28 September, 2012, 02:51:17 pm »
Dentist, while you or rather your nurse amused me greatly today, why do you have to use all that anaesthetic? Ok, drilling into teeth can cause pain, but I've never found it so. I far prefer a few drilling twinges to total numbness on one side of my face - especially when I'm hungry and really want a cup of tea! I feel as if my face is skewiff and lopsided now. In fact a look in the mirror shows it probably is! (waddaya mean it always was?)

Rule 1: always eat a full meal before seeing the denthitht.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2286 on: 28 September, 2012, 03:28:42 pm »

Pushing a shopping trolley in a straight line is one of the things that's pretty much guaranteed to b0rk my knee.  The twisting forces involved aren't natural.  I tend to either pull the trolley, or step around it and apply force in a straight line as needed.

I don't operate the trolley.
Marj has the trolley to provide support which she finds better than using her stick.I reckon it's to do with wheels.
I'm there to load/unload bags & lift anything from lower or upper shelves.It used to be referred to as slavery ;D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2287 on: 28 September, 2012, 03:41:41 pm »
Probably just the curse of Tesco then.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2288 on: 28 September, 2012, 03:45:31 pm »
I thinkk so too.We can't both be wrong ;)

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #2289 on: 28 September, 2012, 07:14:27 pm »
This is what supermarket by internets was invented for. Well that and not having to deal with other people and their crap trolley driving escapades.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2290 on: 28 September, 2012, 07:43:44 pm »
This is what supermarket by internets was invented for. Well that and not having to deal with other people and their crap trolley driving escapades.

That and being cool-headed enough to realise '£1 each or 2 for £2.50' is NOT a bargain.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2291 on: 28 September, 2012, 07:56:20 pm »
Unfortunately Tesco-by-internets around here means the Solihull branch, and their appalling stock control.  Other supermarkets are available, but they don't sell Tesco orange juice which is substantially nicer.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #2292 on: 28 September, 2012, 07:58:30 pm »
Train wi-fi can't handle streaming radio4xtra.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2293 on: 28 September, 2012, 08:02:46 pm »
I only like Tropicana, from the offerings by Sainsbury's. I see which offers the cheapest between the milkman and Sainsbury's latest offers. I think I recently bought 2*1.75 litre cartons for £5.

« Reply #2294 on: 28 September, 2012, 08:18:52 pm »
Oh yes Southern, it's super useful that the bike carriage has a big orange pictogram identifying itself.

Not so useful that when the doors open they cover said picture up  ::-)

Why not have the picture on the door?
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #2295 on: 28 September, 2012, 08:22:31 pm »
Does my recent grumbled mean I'm solidly middle class?
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #2296 on: 29 September, 2012, 10:16:34 am »
When defrosting bread, setting the microwave to defrost instead of full power will reduce the chances of the bread hardening like concrete and the kitchen filling with acrid smoke. I have dealt with it by opening a window and going out.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #2297 on: 29 September, 2012, 09:54:03 pm »
< unladylike alert>
I hate it when you've been drinking 'beer (I.e.from a bottle) and you burp and the CO2 goes up your nose and it burns.
That is all.

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #2298 on: 29 September, 2012, 10:43:34 pm »
When cooking 3 pizzas at once in a fan oven, make sure the fan is on  :facepalm:

(fan off = 1 underdone, 1 just so, and 1 burnt to a crisp  :-[)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2299 on: 29 September, 2012, 11:40:22 pm »
Oh yes Southern, it's super useful that the bike carriage has a big orange pictogram identifying itself.

Not so useful that when the doors open they cover said picture up  ::-)

For bonus points they've painted the door to the bike area poo colour (red) instead of the usual poo colour (medium brown), for ease of identification by non-protanope cyclists.  :facepalm: