Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1624702 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #4375 on: 18 January, 2014, 01:49:49 pm »
Sounds pretty much like what I've got now. We had to remove the entire fitting to change the bulb due to the torque involved into changing a GU10 bulb moved the fitting off the body of the light. Stupid frikking design.
I'm now thinking about ditching the lot and going back to pendants. I've decided recessed down lighters are the work of stan.
That will of course involve having to get a plasterer in (or my brother, depending on whether he can be arsed)  to fill in all the holes left by the down lighters.

And the other light still doesn't work. I really hate having a dim kitchen.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4376 on: 18 January, 2014, 01:53:32 pm »
There's an awful lot to be said for basic pendants (and 5ft fluorescent tubes, in a kitchen).  They're boring, but they actually work, and are easy to replace like-with-like.  Mood lighting can come from things that don't involve decorating to replace.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #4377 on: 18 January, 2014, 02:41:29 pm »
Pingu has fluorescent tube horror. Although TBF I'm not really a fan, but he doesn't even like using the one that's hidden on top of the wall cabinets. (It was supposed to be LED strip but obv the Sparky wasn't listening properly).

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4378 on: 18 January, 2014, 02:54:56 pm »
High frequency fluorescents are less evil (assuming it's the flicker that's the probelm), but fair enough.

LEDs and wall cabinets are the future.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #4379 on: 18 January, 2014, 08:03:20 pm »
Our kitchen has a 5ft LED replacement for a fluorescent tube.  It is bright! It is also 4000deg K, as I hate soggy old warm white lamps, and Mrs W wanted nearer to a daylight colour rendering.  The expected lamp life is about the same as my expected life....
Wombat

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #4380 on: 19 January, 2014, 03:49:38 pm »
And the other light still doesn't work. I really hate having a dim kitchen.
Anti grumble:
Went to Sainsbury's, bought a different type of light bulb. It works!
Can't tell if the other bulbs are duff or if they just didn't mate well with that light as we don't seem to have another ES fitting in the rest of the house to try them out with.
At least  the kitchen isn't dingy anymore :)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4381 on: 20 January, 2014, 12:41:09 pm »
Grumble grumble neck pain grumble shoulders hurt grumble pain killers don't do me any good, in other departments grumble grumble FML!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #4382 on: 26 January, 2014, 12:26:01 pm »
Oh for pete's sake this is ridiculous.

Can't we have a drought again?
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #4383 on: 26 January, 2014, 12:36:49 pm »
Micro$haft Word with the silly effing ribbon at the top:   All we wanted to do is scan an image ffs!   Open Office to the rescue.

Listen good Micro$haft:   Going your own non-standard, non-intuitive way just drives customers away.   People like to feel comfortable and familiar with all things in their lives.   Don't listen to the stupid effing twenty something media studies graduate, they do not by any means reflect a representative sample of humans.  Give miserable older grumpy gits like me a job instead.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #4384 on: 26 January, 2014, 01:23:33 pm »
Think you might be a bit late with this one, PB. The 'ribbon' has been MS's Office interface since 2007 came out in, er, 2006. I think, after 8 years, they aren't likely to admit it was a mistake.

I hate it too!

« Reply #4385 on: 26 January, 2014, 01:40:00 pm »
Listen good Micro$haft:   Going your own non-standard, non-intuitive way just drives customers away.   People like to feel comfortable and familiar with all things in their lives.   Don't listen to the stupid effing twenty something media studies graduate, they do not by any means reflect a representative sample of humans.  Give miserable older grumpy gits like me a job instead.

Having participated in UI design reviews (our software is over 20 years' old and some of the GUIs have barely changed in that time) it boils down to something a bit simpler than that:-

There's more money to be made enticing the generations of twenty/thirty-somethings to get into a habit of using your product for their lifetime (by using the more recent design patterns) than keeping the design roughly the same to satisfy the older generations.

I hate the ribbon, but I can see why they've done it.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4386 on: 26 January, 2014, 04:06:37 pm »

Last time we had a drought, it pissed it down for months.

« Reply #4387 on: 26 January, 2014, 06:14:26 pm »

Last time we had a drought, it pissed it down for months.

Ah, yes, so it did! But it's gone beyond reasonableness - I think someone's moved my house to Wales and not told me.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4388 on: 26 January, 2014, 06:49:21 pm »
TBH, I'll take the almost but not quite endless rain over proper winter temperatures (on the assumption that Spring actually arrives on time this year).  Neither are fun to cycle in, but the current arrangement is less actually hazardous.

« Reply #4389 on: 26 January, 2014, 07:05:23 pm »
Think you might be a bit late with this one, PB. The 'ribbon' has been MS's Office interface since 2007 came out in, er, 2006. I think, after 8 years, they aren't likely to admit it was a mistake.

I hate it too!

Nods to acknowledge a kindred spirit.

Having participated in UI design reviews (our software is over 20 years' old and some of the GUIs have barely changed in that time) it boils down to something a bit simpler than that:-

There's more money to be made enticing the generations of twenty/thirty-somethings to get into a habit of using your product for their lifetime (by using the more recent design patterns) than keeping the design roughly the same to satisfy the older generations.

I hate the ribbon, but I can see why they've done it.

Only if their plan for world domination actually succeeds ...   Mwahwahwah!!!   :demon:

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #4390 on: 27 January, 2014, 01:34:36 pm »
Supplier: If I specify $BRAND in my orders for X Y and Z, then I expect you to quote for $BRAND or tell me explicitly that you don't supply brand instead of sending me a quote where X costs loads more than Y and Z so my spidey sense reads it extra carefully to find that you've not quoted $BRAND for Y and Z which I SPECIFICALLY ASKED FOR!

I don't care YZ are $Approved, they are NOT what I asked for. 

So two rounds of email later I explain I am ONLY interested if the product are $BRAND they come back and agree they will supply $BRAND if I ask for it...

Really fucking tiring and supposed to be a two short jobs and clear the shit out of my inbox and turned into medium sized job and need for very clear emailwords... 

OhWell at least inbox is under20 for the first time in a month...  *keeps on slaying*

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #4391 on: 30 January, 2014, 05:25:47 pm »
Hmm, just lifted the inspection cover on the drains to see why my toilet is draining slowly. The chamber is completely flooded - looks like Saturday will going to be manhole locating and learning to rod drains day :(
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #4392 on: 30 January, 2014, 07:39:23 pm »
Excruciating pain in my lower back and I'm all out of cocodamol.  :'(  Good thing I had today off ,eh?

At least I can walk - sorta.  Not looking forward to tomorrow...
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4393 on: 30 January, 2014, 07:45:20 pm »
Nasty.  And I've got plenty of Co-Codamol, but I'm too far away from you. :(

Hope it resolves soon.
Getting there...

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #4394 on: 30 January, 2014, 09:36:50 pm »
Bloody hell, chip shop!  I asked for haddock and small chips.  WTF is this?  My largest plate in my kitchen cannot contain your provision.
That is bloody stupid.  Surely no one could possibly eat that?   What on earth would you have given me if I hadn't used the word 'small' in my order?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #4395 on: 30 January, 2014, 10:15:27 pm »
"Small Chips?"... Interesting concept ( Buurp!)
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #4396 on: 30 January, 2014, 10:56:27 pm »
Vernon and I usually share a small chips from our local shop between us and still have too many chips.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4397 on: 31 January, 2014, 12:53:38 am »
Vernon and I usually share a small chips from our local shop between us and still have too many chips.

This.

My chips tolerance isn't great since I had my gallbladder removed, so barakta gets a decent helping.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #4398 on: 31 January, 2014, 12:59:41 am »

Northern small portion of chips are proper, while London is quite poor.

THAT IS A FACT

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #4399 on: 31 January, 2014, 08:08:13 am »
I am currently almost spherical from managing to eat most of a takeaway delivered by our nearby Indian food emporium, an extreme rarity for us.  Luckily I am in the office on my own today, I suspect farting may possibly occur....
Wombat